Author Topic: is it too early for solids?  (Read 1742 times)

Offline gyorgyi

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 7
is it too early for solids?
« on: March 09, 2012, 14:58:56 pm »
Hi Ladies!

So I red about BLW and I liked the idea. Yesterday when I was making salad to the family my DD was watching so muck the cucumber that I cut her a little piece and I put it in her tummy.(she was sitting next to me in her chair). She picked up and started to suck on it instantly and wanted more!
She is only 5.5 month old but since 4 months old I feel like that my milk is not enough for her. She wants to feed in every 2 hours or so. I know breastmilk supposed to have more calorie than every other food but I don't think that we have a problem with calorie intake as she is already 8 kg!
Some other mums were shocked that I gave her some pure apple too, because she is not 6 months old yet. (However she was 2 weeks late and I always felt that she is more advanced than her age)
I don't think I did something terrible because when I saw her little face lit up when she put the apple pure in her mouth..it was pricepless. How should I know if it was too early for her?

Thanks

Offline lidiayy

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 17
Re: is it too early for solids?
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2012, 19:48:47 pm »
Hi G,

I am no expert, but just wanted to share my experience.
DD1 was 5.5 months old and she was already STTN since 4.5 mo. At your LO's age, she started to wake up at night for feeds, so the dr suggested introducing solids to her. I waited a week more and a few days before turning to 6mo, we started with fruit juice. Right after turning 6 mo, we started offering fruit and then veggies purees. 
I guess there's nothing wrong to start before 6 mo. My nephew was BFed until 3 mo and at 4.5mo, his dr recommended starting with solids as the formula wasn't enough for him. He is fine (he's 2 1/2 yo now).
HTH

Offline mickey44

• Showing Appreciation 25
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2012, 20:01:18 pm »
My doc recommended starting solids anytime between 5-6 months.  I think DD1 was right around 5 months when we started her!
Stacey

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 130
  • Just the wheat allergy to go now!
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2012, 21:39:16 pm »
I think she is near enough 6 months to be OK  :) glad to hear she loved it!

Offline gyorgyi

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 7
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2012, 07:53:19 am »
Thanks Ladies!

I think I just needed some extra reassuring that I am doing the right thing after that those mums jumped on me. I mean I am all for breastfeeding but we never actually made the 4 hour EASY and in the last few weeks she feeds every 2.5 hour.
And the good news she woke up one hour later than her usual time, which is really promissing now with the clock-change in this month.
So today we will try some steamed carrots. Can not wait! :)

Offline susankula

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2012, 01:33:42 am »
My DD has been eating rice since 4 months and solids since 5 months.  I introduced a new food every 3 days to make sure there was no allergies/reactions.  She now eats just about every fruit and veggie.  She loves everything!  I think every baby is different, 6 months doesn't work for every baby.

Offline Mrs Coops

• ~~Marsha~~
  • Showing Appreciation 43
  • Too busy to visit BW much, but still love it.
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2012, 02:42:04 am »
Six months is the recommended minimum age to introduce solids by the world health organisation! However a lot of companies like Heinz make baby rice and other mush that you can give from 4 months.

It's recognised that once a baby is six months old their digestive system is strong enough to handle real food (not purée's) so baby led weaning is ideal and she's clearly happy with the chunk of cucumber you gave her!

There the BLW thread here if you're interested http://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=224254.225 I did BLW with both of mine, it's messy but fun!

As long as there's no allergy issues in your family you don't need to introduce a new food every three days, just cut into stick shapes, cook (if needed) until tender and crack on. I'd watch steamed carrots though, they're quite slippery and the one food my DD struggled with!
Formerly 'The Goblin'

Offline Fiver

• Showing Appreciation 152
  • Anyone for omelette?
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2012, 22:21:06 pm »
Agree with Marsha.

Also wanted to add that often BF babies don't ever get to a stage where they go 4h between feeds before starting solid food, so more frequent feeds isn't necessarily a good indication of when to start solids.

If she's grabbing/picking up food/other items, able to move stuff to her mouth, can sit up unaided, has good neck control and generally seems interested, a week or two before 6m probably isn't going to be THAT much of a problem (especially for BLW).  Don't expect much to go in in the early days if you're going to do BLW - a lot will end up on the floor - and makes sure she can sit up properly in a highchair (not a bouncy chair/recliner) so there's a far reduced risk of choking.

Good luck :)
*** Amanda ***

Offline gyorgyi

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 7
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2012, 22:47:42 pm »
Thanks Amanda!

I wasn't ready for BLW so we didn't have a highchair (I ordered one today after spending days reading reviews) so she sit in my hands. I almost couldn't stop her grabbing daddy's cheddar cheese. Of course we are going slowly but she loves everything! I made some salad and she ate a few leaves of salad. I am so proud of her :)

Offline Mrs Coops

• ~~Marsha~~
  • Showing Appreciation 43
  • Too busy to visit BW much, but still love it.
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2012, 06:17:01 am »
It sounds like BLW will really suit her ;D All LO's are so different, my DS hated solids and didn't start really eating until 9 months. DD was a total pig, after two weeks she cried for solids and was a ball of lard by nine months old!

Word of advice though, get a splash mat for under the high chair, it gets messy http://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=178354.0

I also strapped mine into the high chair then put the bibs over the straps (once I knew they weren't going to choke) to save mess!

Formerly 'The Goblin'

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2012, 08:30:10 am »
http://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=68263.0

Anyone who is EBF and considering introducing solids early or supplementing with formula should be aware of the open gut theory explained in this link so you can make an informed decision. :)
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011

Offline gyorgyi

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 7
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2012, 09:48:21 am »
Thanks Ali!

Yes, I heard about the virgin gut theory this is why I don't give her formula because I am more afraid of the protein in the formula than in a piece of cucumber. (maybe I am wrong).
But unfortunately I am going back to work and I can't pump so much to her to have more than one feed during the day (because when I pump my milk supply goes up sooo much) when I am not with her so I tried to indroduce to her that eating is doesn't always mean breastfeeding.
Also she became so interested in the food what we eat that I don't want to say to her NO all the time and after 2 weeks when she will be 6 months old I say, Ok, now you can have it. I was afraid she will lost her interest :)