Author Topic: refuses to go to the table  (Read 1241 times)

Offline lulu1978

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
refuses to go to the table
« on: March 09, 2012, 21:34:19 pm »
My ds has almost over night developed this "thing"...for the last few days he has been refusing to go to the table to eat his meal!At first it was his dinner,he wanted to play outside and was refusing to come in and have his dinner.He was screaming and crying wanting to go outside and when he new I wouldn't allow him to he wanted to go and watch tv!Which I didn't allow him to either.I kept on saying that after he has his dinner he can watch tv if he wants to but he wasn't having it,he just kept on crying and crying.After an hour of crying I allowed him to eat his dinner in front of the tv :-[
I know it was the wrong thing to do but I didn't know what to do?I tried to use the time out but I don't think he understood why he was in time out,I felt I did it wrong or it is too early to discipline him like this?
Well this morning he did the same thing with breakfast,as soon as I sat him down to the table he was crying,arching his back,just didnt want to be there.I knew he was hungry because he was asking me for milk for the second time!
What I don't understand is why is he behaving like this?He was never fussy eater,he normally get excited about food...so this behaviour is out of character for him.
Does anyone have any idea?

Offline Shiv52

• The Diplomat
  • Global Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 585
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2012, 22:17:55 pm »
{{{hugs}}}

What age is he? 

I would try and not make a big deal of it.  I'd just put food down at mealtimes and if he wants to eat, let him eat.  If not, thats fine.  But i wouldn't get into the habit of moving  meals elsewhere or anything like that or bother with TO or the like. 

So with breakfast, I'd have said 'sure you can have more milk but its breakfast time so sit up at the table'. 

I would leave meals on the table for a set time and then 5 minutes before the end give a warnign that the meal is going to be over soon and after that just tidy it up and leave it until the next snack/meal time. 

It does depend on what age he is though what I'd do so let me know!!   Is he teething any molars? 

I would try not to worry,  these toddlers go through funny phases all the time.  Often it can just be about them seeing can they control things so if you stick to a plan and rules they do tend to come round quicker. 

Do you always eat at the table?  we eat most meals at the table but we often do snacks/lunch on picnic blankets on the floor or in the living room at the coffee table just for a change. 

Offline lulu1978

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Re: refuses to go to the table
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2012, 13:25:50 pm »
Thank you for your reply!
Oscar is 26 months old.We eat our main meals at the table but snacks in the living room at the coffee table.We have always done this so maybe you are right,it's just the phase ???I don't think he is teething but i have noticed that his apetite isn't great lately.

Offline Shiv52

• The Diplomat
  • Global Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 585
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2012, 20:08:06 pm »
Hugs xx

they do tend to have a bit of an appetite drop as they get a bit bigger.  If he's over 2 then it is wouldn't be out side his understanding to get him to the table for meals  and if he eats great, if not just let him down.  But I would be consistent that meals stay at the table and not feel you need to cajole him to eat.  When my DD1 went through that silly, picky not eating dinner stage I actually introduced supper too and it meant if she didn't eat dinner she'd have porridge or weetabix before bed so I was content she wasn't hungry but it meant I wasn't trying to bribe her to eat dinner and get into bad habits IYKWIM?

He could be getting his 2YO molars if he doesn't have them already but likely it is just a phase!!!

Offline Lolly

• Bottle Feeding, Discipline and Socialization
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 318
Re: refuses to go to the table
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2012, 21:15:25 pm »
When he sits at the table is he in a highchair or a booster? If he is still in a high chair maybe changing what he sits on will help. We do what Shiv suggested and meals are on the table and they don't go anywhere else. If DD is screaming about wanting to do something else rather than eat with us it's usually for a reason like she is OT, teething definitly made things worse too!

Laura