Author Topic: Need some guidance with this reaction. Pics included  (Read 5569 times)

Offline my3girlsjde

• Sometimes a superpower is simply surviving the chaos.....
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 115
  • Reflux, sleep apnea and food allergies
Need some guidance with this reaction. Pics included
« on: March 09, 2012, 23:43:56 pm »
I *think* it's from a bite of orange she got from the girls. She had it yesterday and the girls informed me they gave her a piece yesterday also ::). She's a bit irritable but not too bad.

Should I put anything on this? The skin seems pretty scaly and I would think itchy but she's not scratching.

Anyone experience this before?

Adding to the portfolio of pics for the allergist.
Vicki - nursing student and proud mother to three refluxers in two years

Remembering my sleeping angels: 17 Jan 06, 30 Jul 09

Offline katyusha

• Showing Appreciation 16
  • Kate mum to E, M, F and 2 little souls in heaven
Re: Need some guidance with this reaction. Pics included
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2012, 00:15:58 am »
Vicky, imo it does look like a reaction. Hugs! Can you see little bumps like tiny pimples? Have you tried hydrocortisone? the GP should prescribe. I was told 1% is fairly mild enough to put anywhere, but the pharmacy always needs prescription. nurse told us to put it 10-20 minutes after the moisturiser. he nurse also told us to do it in 7 day blocks, so first twice a day, then once, then once a week to wean off it. Otherwise, we use a moisturisor for eczema and the nurse said each kid will tolerate different brand. ours likes Oilatum. So we put it on 3-4 times. We also put 50/50 (soft parafin and liquid prafin) ointment at night after emollient bath. Again I was told that one is fairly neutral as meant to have no preservatives. Has she ever had orange before? We get similar from overheating, temperature, teeth, food left on a face after meal, viral and due to eggs, among other food allergies. So could be a lot of things. M also first got his all over rash due to a hayfever after being out on a freshly cut grass, so was not food related.

Offline Erin M

• The Sentinel
  • Global Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 521
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2012, 02:18:09 am »
I always use Aquaphor for dry skin issues. 

Offline donna_issabella

• Showing Appreciation 941
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2012, 02:36:06 am »
I would be leery of any long term use of any steroid, mild or not. Cortisone on face = cataracts. Better thing to use is Elidel or protopic.

I agree first 2 pics definitely looks like a type of reaction. Moisturise the skin, monitor her poop and demeanour. It may not be an allergic reaction per se, but more a sensitivity, IYKWIM, and may just agitate the skin, but hopefully not the rest of her. Sounds like you have your hands full!! HUGS!

Offline my3girlsjde

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2012, 03:48:03 am »
Thanks all. We've decided to wait on treating as it doesn't seem to bother her yet. My guess is with her body so out of wack right now she's going to be super sensitive to everything. We were joking tonight that peanut butter at this point would probably make her spontaneously combust ::)
This does look similar to the reaction she had over Christmas but hasn't had that same food since.

I'm curious what this will do to her sleep as she's pretty grumpy now. Just gone to sleep so fingers crossed.

And big FX this doesn't itch enough to warrant treatment.. When I saw it getting scaly I was pretty concerned but not so much now. Just something else to add to themystery of this child.

Offline MasynSpencerElliotte

• Showing Appreciation 249
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2012, 04:25:35 am »
Spencer turns red like that when she has eggs, but it covers her whole body. Oranges kill her insides, but no rashes so far.  Fx that she has a good nights sleep for you!
Heidi

Offline Jimbob

• Showing Appreciation 59
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2012, 08:17:25 am »
I hope the rash does not become itchy. It is so hard when they seem to reacxt to pretty much evrything.

~~~~~~~~~~~~Lots of good sleep vibes for E~~~~~~~~~~~~

Kelly x

James has atopic eczema, multiple food allergies, asthma and late talker

Offline babybarr

• Showing Appreciation 224
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2012, 08:20:12 am »
No thoughts but such a gorgeous happy little girl :-*
LAURA xx

Offline katyusha

• Showing Appreciation 16
  • Kate mum to E, M, F and 2 little souls in heaven
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2012, 21:38:47 pm »
Yes, i was meaning to say that too! She is so lovely and content on these pics! Also forgot to say it but I'd go to GP before any treatment beyon a moisturiser if this is unusual for her. My DS has an eczema that is set off by many things so in our case steroids and other treatments are always on repeat prescription so I don't see the GP each time unless it is something more than usual. Good sleepy vibes for all the family! ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline my3girlsjde

« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2012, 22:12:09 pm »
She is a happy girl most days and truly an angelic joy to have.

Unfortunately that's how we know so quickly somethin is up.

The cheeks calmed down last night and she woke up with them completely clear. Within 20 mins of eating a banana this morning they flared up again. Then we realized she's been having a few bites of banana every day this week. They were  questionable food but tbh EVERYTHING is now a questionable food.

But I guess the important part is that it doesn't seem to bother her skin. I'm surprised but thrilled nonetheless.

I'm hoping and praying for an 'aha' moment with this child.

Offline EloysH

• Showing Appreciation 102
  • Eloise & 2 boys, from reflux to gut healing :)
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2012, 04:32:34 am »
Yep - looks like salicylate cheeks hun- cheeks of a chemically sensitive child. Kai's go scaly only the centre of the pink patches, then just pink all around. They go up and down, flare by nafternoon after eating problem foods, then is sleep off that night.

He has not had these cheeks for a long while now - some
Months. A few months ago I increased his salicylates gently over a few weeks and the cheeks started to develop. For him, it's the same spot each time on his cheeks.

Orange is high in sals. Bananas are high in amines. Preservatives and additives will call similar reactions. It is a build up thing - one orange might not do it, but a week of high chems might be the issue.

Offline my3girlsjde

« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2012, 04:43:48 am »
Eloise can an allergist test for chemical sensitivities or is this a trial and error kind of thing?

She was also only scaly in the centre, but when she was quite small, she had scales all over her cheeks. We didn't think much at the time because my big girls were like that at the same age as well.

Might be a bit of a silver lining where I have the next two months to get some research done.

Offline EloysH

« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2012, 04:55:33 am »
Unfortunately there are no medical tests for this. This is what Kai has, it's food intolerance and some of the causes are due their detoxification pathways not working very well. It is diagnosed via elimination diet and food challenge. It can be improved by supporting the liver with nutrients such as zinc, b6, b12 to help the body metabolize salicylates, amines etc. it is a long term treatment and the nutrients that are prescribed vary from child to child. The aim is to improve their base nutrient status sonthe biochemistry of the body biochemistry can operate as it needs to produce enzymes for digestion and raise general
Immune function.  Kids that have food intolerances generally have over active immune systems and they need lots of support in this area. A practitioner or if lucky a doctor well versed in gut health, nutritional science or trained by Dr Walsh of Pffieffer institute or Walsh institute will know exactly what to do in this area.

An amazing book is soon the be released by Dr Walsh summarizing his 20 years of research in biochemical approaches to disease, mental Ralph management and gut health. I will find some links!

Offline EloysH

« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2012, 04:57:35 am »
http://www.walshinstitute.org/

Here are links!!

Here is the Australian website for trained practitioners - biobalance.org.au

http://www.biobalance.org.au/about/walsh-research-institute

Don't be put off by the talk of
Metal health - it all falls within the same umbrella and is essentially about gut health. If the gut is healed, then the food intolerances, allergies and other condition aggravated by gut issues will be healed or greatly improved.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2012, 05:01:51 am by EloysH »

Offline my3girlsjde

« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2012, 05:52:00 am »
Sadly I don't think I'm going to be able to find a Dr in my area, however this is definitely going to be researched in my house now. A lot of this fits her, and could easily explain away that 'missing link' we've been looking for in the past two years. So could celiac for that matter so we're also looking into that. At this point, we just want answers and have no idea even what to hope for.

We also noticed how incredibly gassy she is when she gets these reactions. Something is definitely going on in her gut at this time as well.

But I definitely agree with hyperactive immune system. We've got multiple food issues, (had reflux), eczema, asthma and sleep apnea. There's a missing link here causing all of this...............