Author Topic: What outdoor/ garden toys for toddlers?  (Read 4376 times)

Offline cuckoochick

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 136
  • Mummy to Charlotte Rose and Georgia May
What outdoor/ garden toys for toddlers?
« on: March 10, 2012, 17:31:53 pm »
Well the weather is finally starting to improve here and we've been getting C out into our garden in her wellies ;D. however we don't really have anything for her to "do" out there as it's just lawned off.

We've been playing with a ball which I taught her to kick today, blowing.bubbles and chasing them and picking daisies and finding ladybirds.

I'm thinking she needs some toys for outside. We have a ball pit and a circus tent for the summer but wondering what other toys/activities you'd recommend?

C adores slides so we're definitely considering one but I'm unsure about getting her a little tikes toddler slide or an activity centre with climbing bits and a slide but tbh they are really expensive so does anyone reckon they're worth it?

Thanks!

*Nicola*

Offline C&B&E

• Showing Appreciation 34
Re: What outdoor/ garden toys for toddlers?
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2012, 17:38:42 pm »
a trowel/little garden fork and a little trampoline (with handles) have been really well used by Ben for the past couple of years  :)

we have got a little tikes cube/slide as well but he's never used it that much and it's so ugly :-\
Claire x

Offline We Three

• Showing Appreciation 418
  • The Sweetest Thing....
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2012, 17:39:33 pm »
 Yes I think the playset is worth every penny. Swings, slide, climing wall, ours has a little hut at the top too...her "fort". You don't have to get all the add-ons at once, you could just go with swing and slide portion, and add more pieces as time goes on.
 DD's sand table was a great investment, she still plays with it.  We have seashells in there and blue stones (the kind you put in the bottom of a vase) for her to dig up!
 And another great thing we got was a red wagon....and again, she still uses it. Puts dolls in it, rocks, takes rides in it...helps daddy clean up the yard...it's adorable. Before we got her sand table, we actually filled the wagon with a bag of sand and it was a mobile sand table!  IMO,  a sand table that they stand up at is sooo much better than a sandbox that they sit in.  I have a freiend whose lo has  a sandbox but they have it filled with pea gravel and it's sooo much better as far as clean up!
 Also, can't go wrong with kid-sized table and chairs. We got ours at a big-box home store and it is so great to have a snack outside, which we do almost every day in summer!  

Offline C&B&E

• Showing Appreciation 34
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2012, 17:41:41 pm »
oh yes - sand table - massive hit (kept at grandparents and I'm going to bring it back here for the summer as it's such a hit!)
Claire x

Offline speechie

• Showing Appreciation 303
  • 7 years of spirited bliss!
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2012, 17:43:23 pm »
little shallow wading pool, bug investigating kit with a magnifying glass, ditto to the swingset idea, scooter/trike, wagon, buckets, shovels, small sandbox, kid sized gardening tools, and a tiny raised bed and some dirt/seeds of her choice. :) Nick's been 'farming' since he was 1 yo. So proud of his 'crops'.
Cathie
                Nick spirited angel, born August 2, 2007

Offline We Three

• The Sweetest Thing....
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2012, 17:44:28 pm »
 Our playset is similar to this...we got the tower, and added the slide (it comes off the fort up top) for like $80, and the swing arm for about $200.  Alot of money, yes, but she was 2 when we got it, and she is still on it every day that she is able.  You can see the add-ons down the right hand side of the page.  I love the idea of the add-ons...and hey, granparents can get involved too!   ;)  Happy Birthday, Charlotte...heres a slide!  ;)

http://www.lowes.com/ProductDisplay?partNumber=249152-60636-5007&langId=-1&storeId=10151&productId=1071019&catalogId=10051&cmRelshp=req&rel=nofollow&cId=PDIO1

Don't know why that link doesn't work? You can copy/paste in the address window.  :-\
« Last Edit: March 10, 2012, 17:46:16 pm by Amelia1227 »

Offline We Three

• The Sweetest Thing....
Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 130
  • Just the wheat allergy to go now!
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2012, 17:54:20 pm »
We got a water/sand table from Argos last year when Olly was a similar age and it will be out again soon  :) Also got him a little house from B&Q but you can get them from various shops too.

A slide is great! Keep an eye on ebay for some local bargains!

We need some new toys this year though so will be following with interest

Offline Roseii

• Showing Appreciation 198
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2012, 18:19:23 pm »
We got a swing set when dd1 was 10mo, best thing ever! It's got a single baby/toddler swing and a double boat one (with straps) We have had SO much use out of it, been on it today! The other thing we have is a little wooden Wendy house, also worth every penny, the girls love it :)
Blessed mum to two home-birthed darling water babies

hey you with the pretty face, welcome to the human race

Offline cuckoochick

« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2012, 18:34:27 pm »
Thanks ladies,

So we totally need to splurge some cash!

Claire, I know what you mean about the little tikes stuff being really ugly and plasticky. I'd love a beautifully made wooden set, just like what you posted Anne. The sand table is uber cute too. I'm definitely going to get one of those. Am hoping amazon UK has one like that. I'll keep quiet that we live 5 mins away from the beach!! ::)

So her birthday is ages away but we may get her something for Easter. I know my mum is giving her money so we can put it towards something.

I forgot to mention that she has a ride-on for in the house so eventually that can go outside (but not sure how easily it will ride on lawn) and she has a big tonka truck that DH bought before she was born as we were convinced she was a boy!! :P

I would also love one of those cutesie wooden playhouses so I can make her gingham curtains to hang in the windows but I think that will have to wait a while!!

*Nicola*

Offline cuckoochick

« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2012, 18:35:50 pm »
Meant to say, you all have such great taste!  :-*

I think DH will be cursing BW tonight as we're meant to be saving!! ;D

*Nicola*

Offline Roseii

• Showing Appreciation 198
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2012, 18:41:00 pm »
DH painted the window frames of our Wendy house (with dd's help :)) in pink, yellow and orange, so so cute!!
Blessed mum to two home-birthed darling water babies

hey you with the pretty face, welcome to the human race

Offline Mashi

• Showing Appreciation 408
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2012, 18:46:46 pm »
My niece's toddler toys from 10+ years ago are STILL a hit with my DS at 4yo when we go back to visit nanna and granddad.  A push along lawn mower, it was about 3 quid at asda ten years ago and it has been pushed around the yard a thousand times.  A little tikes (sorry) teeter-totter / see saw that does not need someone on the other end, and a bucket and easy to fill plastic watering can.  DS fills the bucket and waters the grass and flowers all day long. 

She'd probably love a Bobby Car or pukilino if you have some gravel or pavestones in the garden!

Offline <Catherine>

• Showing Appreciation 149
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2012, 19:00:37 pm »
Oh the lawn mower! Biggest hit EVER here - got ours for 50p at a car boot :) And the watering can too - DS was watering the flowers (ahem...weeds  :-[ ) today  ;D

We have a teeny garden so have had to keep things to a minimum, but we have a slide which has had great use (not a little tykes one though, a bigger one) and the sand/water table - again, the best thing we ever bought, and I agree with Anne that I think a table is much better than a 'sit in' sand pit.
Catherine x

Offline skatty

• Showing Appreciation 352
  • My spirited girl
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2012, 19:11:49 pm »
DH made Leorah a water and sand table from an old coffee table, he cut holes and put two washing up bowls in, one with sand and one with water and that was popular for a good few years!
Katt

Offline *Becky*

• Showing Appreciation 255
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2012, 10:19:31 am »
DS LOVED his lawn mower and for £10 it has to be one of the best presents we ever got him. He used it every day (when he could) from 18 months-3 years.

Other outdoor toys we have are the sandpit with his diggers in - loves it.

Trowels and forks are great and you can get some lovely garden kits for children with brushes and even a little hoe!!

We have a water table which tbh he has never been that bothered about but other kids love.

We have a little house, again he is not too bothered but hopefully M will be. He prefers a pop up tent I got him.

Ride-ons are great for the garden. H has a bike and a car.

XX

Henry James and Martha Rose - my spirited pair!