Author Topic: Oral Stimulation Ideas?  (Read 4792 times)

atlantamomofthree

Oral Stimulation Ideas?
« on: March 13, 2012, 12:55:01 pm »
My six month old is teething, and enjoys (or needs) something in his mouth much of the time. Right now, I have found that he likes a teeth and gum cleanser thingie, damp wash cloths, and his paci.

I need some more ideas, if you have any. :)

Thanks.

Offline amayzie

• Pinterest Ninja
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 250
Re: Oral Stimulation Ideas?
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2012, 13:23:20 pm »
Look for bath toys with funny shapes- like star fish, funny bumpy fish; try some kitchen utensils, like measuring cups with handles, raid the tupperware cupboard for odly shaped things, freeze a washer soaked in boiled water, they are great to chew..

My guy's FAVORITE is the tooth brush trainer that i think you are describing above. His has a little guard so he can be independent...
Katy, Mummy to Hamish!

atlantamomofthree

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2012, 17:43:57 pm »
Thanks amayzie.  ;D

Is there a reason why giving a baby a child's toothbrush (new, of course :P) to play with would be a bad idea? I mean, he doesn't have teeth so he can't chew the bristles off, and I would only give it to him while in a secure seat like the highchair, so he couldn't accidentally fall over on it or anything. Wdyt?  For some reason this makes me uneasy but I can't place why....am I being paranoid?  :-\
« Last Edit: March 13, 2012, 23:06:41 pm by atlantamomofthree »

Offline We Three

• Showing Appreciation 418
  • The Sweetest Thing....
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2012, 17:50:29 pm »
 I think he would gag himself with it.   :-\  Best to stick to things that aren't so skinny, kwim? 

Offline mickey44

• Showing Appreciation 25
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2012, 17:51:38 pm »
DD1 loved to chew on spoons (like little plastic baby spoons).  If she was teething and needing to chew we would put her in her highchair and give her a spoon and as long as I was right there to watch her things were fine.  I think a toothbrush would be similar....
Stacey

atlantamomofthree

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2012, 20:41:56 pm »
He does like baby spoons, and I'm right there like you said (he doesn't gag himself hardly ever), but now it's BTDT in his book and only occupies him for a few minutes at best!  ::)

Offline amayzie

• Pinterest Ninja
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2012, 20:55:09 pm »
Perhaps it's the gagging aspect that worries you... as i said ours has a guard so he can't gag or choke: http://www.babyzonedirect.com.au/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/275x/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/f/i/file_861_1.jpg

I don't know too if using a toothbrush ith bristles to chew is setting him up with a bad habit? The trainer we have has no read bristles.. it's probably not a massive issue though, just trying to think of reasons you might be uneasy...

He's such a sweetie! And how lovely it must be to have 2 big helpers around the house!
Katy, Mummy to Hamish!

Offline amayzie

• Pinterest Ninja
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2012, 20:56:06 pm »
Other than those reasons i don't think it's a problemgiving him the toothbrush to play with. Babies do explore the world through their mouths!
Katy, Mummy to Hamish!

atlantamomofthree

« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2012, 16:51:53 pm »
He's such a sweetie! And how lovely it must be to have 2 big helpers around the house!
Thank you!  :-* And yes, it is VERY nice to have such help (and they really, really are a help)! They adore him to pieces and ooh & ahh over everything he does just like daddy and I do.  :) They've been waiting a long time for a sibling!! Now they want to know ehn is another coming along... ;)

Offline amayzie

• Pinterest Ninja
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2012, 21:00:24 pm »
Ha Ha!! NOw do i remember another thread where you thought that might be a nice idea- but DH had other thoughts? Or am i wrong... i could be confused....
Katy, Mummy to Hamish!

atlantamomofthree

« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2012, 00:23:32 am »
Oh, no, you have me confused with someone because he wants more too.  ;D Five for sure, but I'd love six (we'll see, I guess!)

Offline amayzie

• Pinterest Ninja
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2012, 05:16:56 am »
Ha Ha- no i think that it was you then- you were hoping to have to change your name several times- atlantamumofsix! One day! What a brood! Even 4 counts as a brood' in my book!
Katy, Mummy to Hamish!

atlantamomofthree

« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2012, 00:41:41 am »
Hehe, oh...it was me you were thinking of then.  ;) It's funny- what constitutes a big family to one doesn't to always to another. I have 3 sisters and dh has 3 brothers and one sister, so 4 or 5 kids seems very normal and reasonable for us. But then, friends of mine who grew up as an only child or have only one sibling definitely think that is a large family!

How'd we go so off topic?  :P Oops...

So, I'vegiven him the toothbrush and he kind of likes it. He likes the handle- it's squishy. He does not like the bristles!!! Totally opposite of what I thought he'd like/dislike!  ::)

Offline amayzie

• Pinterest Ninja
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2012, 04:05:10 am »
Ha ha!! They like to throw us! I'm from a family with just me and my sister, and my cousins are all only 2 aswell- so it's so to do with your experience!!
Katy, Mummy to Hamish!

atlantamomofthree

« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2012, 14:52:55 pm »
Would it be weird to dip the corner of a baby washcloth in a 100% natural juice and let him suck it? That one just popped in my head...