Author Topic: Oral Stimulation Ideas?  (Read 4795 times)

atlantamomofthree

Oral Stimulation Ideas?
« on: March 13, 2012, 12:55:01 pm »
My six month old is teething, and enjoys (or needs) something in his mouth much of the time. Right now, I have found that he likes a teeth and gum cleanser thingie, damp wash cloths, and his paci.

I need some more ideas, if you have any. :)

Thanks.

Offline amayzie

• Pinterest Ninja
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 250
Re: Oral Stimulation Ideas?
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2012, 13:23:20 pm »
Look for bath toys with funny shapes- like star fish, funny bumpy fish; try some kitchen utensils, like measuring cups with handles, raid the tupperware cupboard for odly shaped things, freeze a washer soaked in boiled water, they are great to chew..

My guy's FAVORITE is the tooth brush trainer that i think you are describing above. His has a little guard so he can be independent...
Katy, Mummy to Hamish!

atlantamomofthree

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2012, 17:43:57 pm »
Thanks amayzie.  ;D

Is there a reason why giving a baby a child's toothbrush (new, of course :P) to play with would be a bad idea? I mean, he doesn't have teeth so he can't chew the bristles off, and I would only give it to him while in a secure seat like the highchair, so he couldn't accidentally fall over on it or anything. Wdyt?  For some reason this makes me uneasy but I can't place why....am I being paranoid?  :-\
« Last Edit: March 13, 2012, 23:06:41 pm by atlantamomofthree »

Offline We Three

• Showing Appreciation 418
  • The Sweetest Thing....
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2012, 17:50:29 pm »
 I think he would gag himself with it.   :-\  Best to stick to things that aren't so skinny, kwim? 

Offline mickey44

• Showing Appreciation 25
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2012, 17:51:38 pm »
DD1 loved to chew on spoons (like little plastic baby spoons).  If she was teething and needing to chew we would put her in her highchair and give her a spoon and as long as I was right there to watch her things were fine.  I think a toothbrush would be similar....
Stacey

atlantamomofthree

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2012, 20:41:56 pm »
He does like baby spoons, and I'm right there like you said (he doesn't gag himself hardly ever), but now it's BTDT in his book and only occupies him for a few minutes at best!  ::)

Offline amayzie

• Pinterest Ninja
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2012, 20:55:09 pm »
Perhaps it's the gagging aspect that worries you... as i said ours has a guard so he can't gag or choke: http://www.babyzonedirect.com.au/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/275x/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/f/i/file_861_1.jpg

I don't know too if using a toothbrush ith bristles to chew is setting him up with a bad habit? The trainer we have has no read bristles.. it's probably not a massive issue though, just trying to think of reasons you might be uneasy...

He's such a sweetie! And how lovely it must be to have 2 big helpers around the house!
Katy, Mummy to Hamish!

Offline amayzie

• Pinterest Ninja
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2012, 20:56:06 pm »
Other than those reasons i don't think it's a problemgiving him the toothbrush to play with. Babies do explore the world through their mouths!
Katy, Mummy to Hamish!

atlantamomofthree

« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2012, 16:51:53 pm »
He's such a sweetie! And how lovely it must be to have 2 big helpers around the house!
Thank you!  :-* And yes, it is VERY nice to have such help (and they really, really are a help)! They adore him to pieces and ooh & ahh over everything he does just like daddy and I do.  :) They've been waiting a long time for a sibling!! Now they want to know ehn is another coming along... ;)

Offline amayzie

• Pinterest Ninja
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2012, 21:00:24 pm »
Ha Ha!! NOw do i remember another thread where you thought that might be a nice idea- but DH had other thoughts? Or am i wrong... i could be confused....
Katy, Mummy to Hamish!

atlantamomofthree

« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2012, 00:23:32 am »
Oh, no, you have me confused with someone because he wants more too.  ;D Five for sure, but I'd love six (we'll see, I guess!)

Offline amayzie

• Pinterest Ninja
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2012, 05:16:56 am »
Ha Ha- no i think that it was you then- you were hoping to have to change your name several times- atlantamumofsix! One day! What a brood! Even 4 counts as a brood' in my book!
Katy, Mummy to Hamish!

atlantamomofthree

« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2012, 00:41:41 am »
Hehe, oh...it was me you were thinking of then.  ;) It's funny- what constitutes a big family to one doesn't to always to another. I have 3 sisters and dh has 3 brothers and one sister, so 4 or 5 kids seems very normal and reasonable for us. But then, friends of mine who grew up as an only child or have only one sibling definitely think that is a large family!

How'd we go so off topic?  :P Oops...

So, I'vegiven him the toothbrush and he kind of likes it. He likes the handle- it's squishy. He does not like the bristles!!! Totally opposite of what I thought he'd like/dislike!  ::)

Offline amayzie

• Pinterest Ninja
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2012, 04:05:10 am »
Ha ha!! They like to throw us! I'm from a family with just me and my sister, and my cousins are all only 2 aswell- so it's so to do with your experience!!
Katy, Mummy to Hamish!

atlantamomofthree

« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2012, 14:52:55 pm »
Would it be weird to dip the corner of a baby washcloth in a 100% natural juice and let him suck it? That one just popped in my head...

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 496
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2012, 22:53:55 pm »
Hi
I gave DS a toothbrush from 4months to get him used to the idea of brushing his teeth.  It was always supervised and I made sure he couldn't roll onto it.  Once he started walking there was a 'sit' rule with the tooth brush.  It's true they shouldn't bite it when their teeth are being brushed but if you have one for baby and one for you to use then the one you use isn't allowed to be bitten.
I would not give a cloth dipped in juice, water only (frozen is good).  It's better to avoid juice altogether until they are older but if you do give it then avoid prolonged contact with teeth and gums.  I read an article recently that tooth decay can begin before the tooth even cuts.  Sorry can't link it.

And i have no idea how anyone manages with 3 children.  I barely keep up with one!