Author Topic: 8 week old twin gone off her bottle  (Read 1695 times)

Offline norma-np

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: March 16, 2012, 16:06:08 pm »
Last week my 8 week old twin girl went off her bottle.  She just takes the first 30mls then cries as she trys to feed.

I have taken her to the doctors and also the health visitor and have changed bottles, teat size, milk etc.  She is on a special milk now that is lactos free and she still seems the same.  She has dropped from taking a steady 150mls to about 60mls which is a push to get into her.  She was 5 week prem so was only 4.4lb. she is 8lb now 

Any help/suggestions on how to get her to latch onto the bottle again after this first 30mls or what the problem might be?  I've been down the track with HV and Doctor about reflux and have be given baby gaviscon to try but it has made no difference.

Its quite upsetting to see her cry as she is obviously hungry

Hoping you can help

Norma

Offline Lolly

• Bottle Feeding, Discipline and Socialization
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 318
Re: 8 week old twin gone off her bottle
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2012, 20:30:44 pm »
It could be reflux, gaviscon is pretty useless stuff really - both my refluxers needed meds and a reflux formula.

What's her EASY like at the moment? Can you post it for us to have a look at as being over tired can also have an impact on feeding.

If you can, tell us...

Eat - what times and how much
Activity - how long for
Sleep - what times and how long for.

Laura

Offline GingerNut

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2012, 19:01:12 pm »
Ditch the Gaviscon and try Carobel. It thickens the feed and is very, very effective for reflux - much more so than Gaviscon. The first bottle you give her with Carobel in it should give you an answer as to whether or not it's reflux, my little guy was much more comfortable taking the thicker feed. Just be aware that you may need a faster teat.

Offline rugbykaf

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
Re: 8 week old twin gone off her bottle
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2012, 21:01:14 pm »
Hi there,

First of all HUGS to you.

Can I ask if its every bottle? My two were much worse at their bedtime bottle and I never really did find out for definate if they had a touch of reflux or were just overtired. That said, I treated it as reflux and propping them up to feed did seem to help a bit.

Kath xxx

Offline claire1982

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2012, 13:08:06 pm »
my twins do this....when they do this it is because of air in their tummies....they swallow so much bloody air!! drives me crazy!!! and mine are 13 weeks! try burping her, I have developed a technique for checking for air...people think Im crazy but I never stop burping (even if it takes 30 mins :-( ) I put them sitting on my right knee with my right hand cupping their chin with my thumb and forefinger, then the other fingers under their left armpit and hold them up like that. Then with my left hand spanning across their ribcage I shake them (like dance them lol nothing violent!) quickly, if you hear the liquid in their tummies then you know thats air, if its silent then there is no air.

The only other reason they drink a bit then cry is when they are overtired, then I resort to anything to get them to sleep, they then sleep for 10 minutes and then wake up and eat maybe 80-90mls....it is really difficult with twins :-(