Author Topic: Snacker  (Read 1828 times)

Offline ENMS

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 63
Snacker
« on: March 14, 2012, 12:43:26 pm »
So DS is 3 months and is a snacker... he has reflux which is now controlled, but before it was controlled we got into that habit to make him feed enough. Now I am working on breaking it and am successful in the AM but not in the PM (weird??).  He takes in good quantities in total in the day and for most feeds so I am considering leaving it like that but wanted some experienced eyes to look at it.

Here is his feeding schedule for yesterday and the day before:

Monday -

6:40 - 5 oz (STTN so that was his first feed of the day)
9:30 - 5 oz
1:30 - 6 oz
4:10 - 5 oz
6:30 - 4 oz

Tuesday -

7:00 - 6 oz
11:00 - 5 oz
2:10 - 6 oz
4:30 - 5 oz
6:30 - 2.5 oz

are these good enough or should I try to extend him more? I would think he could last more than 2 hours in the PM? He's almost 16 pounds so not a small baby at all.  This morning he took 7.5 oz at his first feed, maybe he can last longer with that quantity.  I'm trying to get him on a 3.5 or a 4h EASY for the feeds but we're not there yet. For now, justevery 3h is already a good improvement compared to what we had.

Also I remember seeing somewhere that you should multiply their weight in pounds by 2 and 2.5 and he should be feeding in that range. That would make him take in between 32 and 40 oz, but he currently takes in closed to 25. Is this an issue? He's gaining weight fine, and he used to drink more before his reflux was controlled but 25 is about the average since it is (about one week).
Elise

Offline Lolly

• Bottle Feeding, Discipline and Socialization
  • Showing Appreciation 318
Re: Snacker
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2012, 15:53:06 pm »
My two refluxers averaged about 25oz a day - very rarely took anything more and were both about 15lbs at 3 months. I'd say if his weight is increasing nicely and he has plenty of wet/ dirty nappies then he is taking what he needs!

His feeds look ok to me, he does seem to be taking bigger feeds if he goes 4 hours so as he can go that long I think it would be worth stretching all his feeds to 4 hours and hopefully he should take consistently sized bottles. The small feeds at the end of the day are only about 2 hours after the previous feed, so if he is showing cues at that time it may well be somthing else rather than hunger cues.

What do you think?

Laura

Offline ENMS

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2012, 16:00:57 pm »
Thanks Laura! I find with bottle feeding it is more unsettling that breastfeeding because you actually see any small changes in quantity...  He does have plenty of wet diapers but rarely a soaking wet diaper during the day... I change every 3 hours approx (more often if he poops) and there's always some pee but not a lot... is that ok?

You're right maybe he is tired at the end of the day and I take that for a hungry cue? He is not napping well at the moment so he definitely gets OT by the end of the day that could be just it... unfortunately we just cut the paci as it was creating many problems so i can't used that to hold him off. I'll try to find creative ways to hold him off. But also, he's on a 'routine' of feeding around 4-4:30 which means he can then take a reasonable quantity at BT, if I stretch that feed to lets say 5:30 he wouldn't take a decent feed at BT - I'm scared that would cause issue although last night he only took a small feed (2.5 oz) and STTN for 12 hours so I guess it's not directly related...

Thanks for the great advice as always Laura! :)
Elise

Offline Lolly

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2012, 16:05:01 pm »
If you stretch his feeds to 4 hours he would feed at 7, 11 then 3pm and 7pm (or bedtime) so he *shouldn't* need a feed inbetween - of course he may not have read the book ;).

I found my refluxers did better on 4 hour feeds, we moved them at about this age - with DS mostly because he flat out refused to feed any sooner ::).

Laura

Offline Aves Lottie

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2012, 18:05:41 pm »
Laura,

What did your schedule look like?  Especially the nap times.

Offline Lolly

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2012, 18:41:35 pm »
I can't remember specific times, but we did something like EASAESAEAS for a while until their A time caught up with the 4 hour EASY. It's a bit messy and you have to watch cues as well as the clock but it works ok, you just need to watch you don't feed to sleep when E comes right before S!

Laura

Offline ENMS

« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2012, 01:32:33 am »
So... today he fed every 4 hours, kind of by accident.  He short naps really badly these days so I usually APOP a PM nap in the car seat or stroller otherwise he's too cranky in the evening.

He fed at 7, 7.5 oz. I tried to feed him at 10:10 because he was due for his 2nd nap, he took in 2 oz but then fall asleep. Took 3 more oz when he woke at 11.  Then after lunch I went shopping to allow him to sleep so he slept until 3:15, he then took 5 oz, then at 6:45 he took 5.5 oz.  The thing that confuses me is that he didn't really take in more at each feed, which I thought he would when I extend him?
Elise

Offline Aves Lottie

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2012, 22:30:17 pm »
Did he end up getting about the same amount of food in a 24-hour period?

It could be he is able to space his feeds farther apart, but not in need of extra food/calories yet.

Offline ENMS

« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2012, 22:51:58 pm »
We're going anywhere between 3h and 3.5h between feeds now. But I think he's a little sick so everything is a bit over the place. He's 3.5 months now so I should really start to move him towards a 4-hr EASY.
Elise

Offline Lolly

« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2012, 21:53:00 pm »
If he is sick I would wait until he is well before you change too much! Hope he's better soon!

Laura