Author Topic: Can I start with tea time?  (Read 1270 times)

Offline lu-c-lu

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Can I start with tea time?
« on: March 20, 2012, 19:55:37 pm »
Hi

I'm looking to start weaning my 6 month old, he's not a very hungry baby only takes about 25oz a day but I though I would start him on a few bits see what he thinks, the thing is from what I have read and from weaning my first I remeber that you should start offering food for breakfast which if I remember right is to do with allergies, the thing is my boy doesnt take much in the morning sometimes only 2oz / 4oz then his next feed is small too and he guzzles up his afternoon and bed time feed, i'm therefore thinking it would be best to offer his first meal about tea time when I think he would be more responsive, can anyone advise? has anyone else started with tea? i'm not concerned that he would have any allergies....

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Forum Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 130
  • Just the wheat allergy to go now!
Re: Can I start with tea time?
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2012, 20:38:08 pm »
Hi, it isn't just allergies - just general reactions to introducing solid foods to an immature gut - ie wind. By starting with an earlier meal it allows any reaction to become apparent and hopefully resolve itself before bedtime. Lunchtime is normally recommended.

Offline lu-c-lu

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2012, 20:45:43 pm »
Thanks, I think I will try a lunch then rather than tea, can I just ask, he has a feed about 11 and then usually naps about 1 so am I right in thinking 12 would be an ideal time to start?

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 130
  • Just the wheat allergy to go now!
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2012, 21:11:09 pm »
perfect!

Offline Lemonthyme

• Showing Appreciation 29
    • Mamacook
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2012, 20:48:04 pm »
Yeah, my health visitor recommended a mid morning meal.  Remember it doesn't have to be at "traditional" meal times to begin with so I'd just go with the flow a little. 

On the allergy thing, I did see a kid in children's A&E in my local hospital with an allergic reaction to a foodstuff they'd eaten, it happens rarely but it does happen.  On practicalities, if the worst did happen it's better to be able to try and get hold of a doctor at midday than 5pm...
Here's my blog which is focussed on simple food for babies, toddlers and families http://mamacook.blogspot.com/