Author Topic: growth spurt?  (Read 1078 times)

Offline ENMS

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 63
growth spurt?
« on: March 23, 2012, 19:05:58 pm »
Hi! From reading BWSAYP I was under the impression that GS for FF babies were short and simple: add 1 oz to their bottle and away they go, taking in more oz than previously. Is that so? DS has been unsettled for the last few days, wants to feed often (sometimes every 2h), takes in anywhere from 4oz to 7 oz at each feed (used to take 5 - 5.5). He spits up all the time too.  He wakes at night at random times, even though he's taking in more then he used to during the day.

I thought it was a reflux flare up but someone on the reflux board mentionned it could be a GS?

TIA!
Elise

Offline Lolly

• Bottle Feeding, Discipline and Socialization
  • Showing Appreciation 318
Re: growth spurt?
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2012, 22:11:11 pm »
I didn't notice growth spurts with my two really. It was more a case of being a bit fussy for a few days and then suddenly realising they needed bigger vests and sleepers!

I'd say keep an eye on him for a few days and if things aren't improving it could well be the reflux rather than just a GS. There is a big growth spurt around 4 months but that also seems to be peak reflux time.

Laura

Offline MommyMoulton

• Showing Appreciation 12
  • Kiss Anyone?
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2012, 23:40:40 pm »
With us GS always came with reflux flare ups. Sorry no advice though we just tried to ride them out. We often elevated the crib for GS and illness and flattened it the rest of the time.

Just watch sometimes varying amounts per bottle. We found that meant a sore throat or a bit dehydrated.
Melissa

Offline ENMS

• Showing Appreciation 63
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2012, 00:01:47 am »
MommyMoulton, so it was just a 'temporary' flare up, meaning you just had to wait and it would pass? How long did your flare ups last?

I never noticed either when DD had a GS really, she never woke at night to feed once she STTN and she BF every 2 hours until 2 months, so this is quite new to me!
Elise

Offline MommyMoulton

• Showing Appreciation 12
  • Kiss Anyone?
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2012, 00:33:53 am »
Our flare ups lasted a week or so.
Melissa