Author Topic: eating on the go  (Read 1255 times)

Offline MadisonC

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
  • my loves xo
eating on the go
« on: March 25, 2012, 01:07:23 am »
So DS isnt a fan on sitting in his high chair for snacks.  DS is very much a snacker and will not eat a snack in his chair but if i put some crackers and cheese on the coffee table with his water he will finish it all in between playing.  Just looking for advice, am I supporting a bad habit that will soon kick me in the bum.. or is it fine as long as hes eating.  He does he breakfast, lunch, and dinner in the chair at the table.. that rule I dont budge on.  Thanks!

Offline Mashi

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 408
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2012, 06:19:19 am »
We always made sure that DS had the same rules as the rest of the family. And both my DH and I would eat in the living room so then it has to be fair for DS to eat in the living room as well. So in that regard I would say at this age to go with the way the rules are for the rest of your family!

I also found at this age we got DS a small toddler table and chairs and he loved having it in the living room!

Offline Lemonthyme

• Showing Appreciation 29
    • Mamacook
Re: eating on the go
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2012, 12:46:25 pm »
Hmm.  Personally I don't like the idea of snacking in this way.  It won't be good for his teeth (although you've chosen pretty teeth friendly foods).  Better, even if he resists to offer and allow him time to eat but get on with playing if he refuses IMO.  Although that all said, we don't sit in the high chair for snacks either unless it's very messy, he tends to sit on my lap and snack.  Makes it easier for having snacks out and about too.
Here's my blog which is focussed on simple food for babies, toddlers and families http://mamacook.blogspot.com/

Offline Texomamama

• Showing Appreciation 15
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2012, 12:57:00 pm »
I think if he is spending enough time sitting in his high chair and eating, there is nothing wrong with snacks, or even the occasional meal "on the go".  As long as he is not running through the house trying to eat at the same time (which could present a choking hazard), I think there are lots more things to worry about than this.

Of course, we only sit down for meals at the table about 3 nights per week.  The rest of the time, if we are home, everyone crowds around the coffee table.  Bad habit, but again, there are other things higher on my list of behaviors and actions to change at my house, kwim?

Offline We Three

• Showing Appreciation 418
  • The Sweetest Thing....
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2012, 13:08:24 pm »
DD got a small table with chairs for her 2nd birthday, and every snack happens there. We don't eat outside of the kitchen, so she'd come back, grab a bite, do her thing, come back, etc.   Maybe there could be something like that in the kitchen? So he's not in the chair, but also not in the living room?

Offline MadisonC

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
  • my loves xo
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2012, 22:19:58 pm »
Thanks for all the good ideas!  I like the idea of keeping the snacks in the kitchen and just taking when he wants.  I already have a pretty big table in the kitchen so not sure if I can fit a little table but I think I will try putting his snacks on the tray of his chair so they are easy to grab.

Offline Lemonthyme

• Showing Appreciation 29
    • Mamacook
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2012, 16:24:31 pm »
I think the only thing I'm wary about with this is having set snack times where he snacks or he doesn't means he's not then snacking all the time and I know when to expect him to be hungry which can be helpful when we're out and about.  Doesn't always work mind...
Here's my blog which is focussed on simple food for babies, toddlers and families http://mamacook.blogspot.com/