Author Topic: What's the deal when they go off food they used to like?  (Read 4669 times)

Offline Tweakster

• Tweakster extraordinaire
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 444
What's the deal when they go off food they used to like?
« on: March 25, 2012, 22:11:32 pm »
Just curious :P

Because typically once I like something...I don't tend to go off it.  I mean I may get sick of eating it at times...but really, I'll still eat it.  And my repertoire increases...not dwindles.

He seems to be constantly crossing stuff off his list that he used to enjoy eating...we're losing ground on foods these days.  Like eggs...and some other things that he used to enjoy.

(although that said, yesterday he did try mashed potatoes which he previously refused for about 3 years now...)

Anyone notice this phenomenon and did your kid go back to eating the food again?
The tweaking never stops!

Offline Roseii

• Showing Appreciation 198
Re: What's the deal when they go off food they used to like?
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2012, 22:20:31 pm »
Yes my two do do this, and now at 3.5 dd1 is eating the best she ever has, coinciding with the pest baby (21mo) eating the worst she ever has. As soul destroying as it is I intend to keep on offering dd2 these things, despite her constant refusal, along with stuff I know she will generally eat such as spaghetti...
Blessed mum to two home-birthed darling water babies

hey you with the pretty face, welcome to the human race

Offline Tweakster

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2012, 22:22:06 pm »
It just makes it super hard to make a meal.  You make something they supposedly like and then once served they say 'I don't like it', refuse to even try it or whatever.  It's like 'whoa did I miss the memo?!'

Offline Roseii

• Showing Appreciation 198
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2012, 22:24:50 pm »
Urgh I know ::) Dd2 used to love my stew, presented her with it the other day to a disgusted look and "yuck" and she proceeded to dump it all on the floor ::)
Blessed mum to two home-birthed darling water babies

hey you with the pretty face, welcome to the human race

Offline Khalam's Mama

• Showing Appreciation 123
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2012, 22:42:11 pm »
We get this too. I think often "I don't like X" is code for "I am too busy to eat or I had something else in mind"

Offline aidenmc

• Showing Appreciation 21
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2012, 23:30:26 pm »
I do remember these stages with my older two and am now dealing with it with ds3. Sooo frustrating when he tips his entire dinner on the floor. Then I end up trying to find anything he will eat so he doesn't end up going to bed with nothing in his stomach. Is always worse when he's tired, teething, or not starving  ::). It does pass...eventually.
Becky,
Mom to Kieran (10/15/2000); Aiden, (7/ 8/ 2005); and Samuel (7/10/2010)

Offline We Three

• Showing Appreciation 418
  • The Sweetest Thing....
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2012, 23:39:22 pm »
 My dd has done this to me as well! She used to eat oatmeal at least twice a week, and she has some issues with needing iron, so I love that she loves this oatmeal! I add a bit of cinnamon and she has loved it since she was an infant. But a couple of months ago she was like "I don't like that anymore."  ???  So I didn't make it, and it bummed me out! The other day, I didn't ask, I just made it...and I said "Brekkie is ready" and when she saw it she was like "But Mommy, I don't like that anymore!" and I acted sorry "Oops! I guess I forgot! But anyway, it's super delish, and I put in extra cinnamon...maybe just give it a try, if you really don't likt it, I'll make you some waffles."  and she sat and happily ate the entire bowl....so go figure.
  My point is, don't take his word for it LOL. 

ITA with "I don't like" can just mean "That isn't what I had in mind". 

Offline KathrynK

• spends far too much time on here
  • Showing Appreciation 171
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2012, 07:23:22 am »
Quote (selected)
I think often "I don't like X" is code for "I am too busy to eat or I had something else in mind"

This ^^^^^^

See also: "I'm not hungry"
]

Offline koe2moe

• Showing Appreciation 250
  • Battle on the chess board
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2012, 08:27:50 am »
we are going through this also!!  DS wants meatballs and pasta everyday!!  When he sees that it isnt, he isnt happy!  If he didnt have a nap, then he has a meltdown!  But i think he is sick of them also, coz one week I served them three times and by the third time, he only ate the meatballs and didnt touch the pasta!

But he would eat some weird things at a restaurant.  perhaps i should try making things but when he wont eat, we might have problems about him refusing and i just dont like that scenario to be regular! 

Offline Mom to M&M

• Showing Appreciation 128
  • Cool dude!
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2012, 11:18:47 am »
I wish I had a good answer BUT I don't! My DS used to be a TOTAL fruit-a-holic. He'd scarf down fresh berries, apples, bananas, etc BEFORE eating carbs or even a cookie! But around 1.5 years he decided he didn't like them, starting dropping them and by 2.25 was eating NO fresh fruit (course I blend a TON into his "juice") and hasn't added any back despite tons of offering. Same goes for scrambled egg. Sigh.
Karen: Proud Mama to Marisa (8-11-05) and Matthew (6-5-09) and happily married to my best friend and love of my life since 10-13-01

Offline Tweakster

« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2012, 12:37:47 pm »
Ok so normal then lol. These kids, who can figure them out?!

I do think a large part is that he's not that hungry but he's eating like a bird these days.  Unless it's pizza, bread or pasta in which case he'll scarf it down. 

I guess I'll just keep offering what I make and he can either eat it or not.  I'll stop trying to make things he'll like because who knows if he'll like them that day or not!

Offline koe2moe

• Showing Appreciation 250
  • Battle on the chess board
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2012, 14:23:58 pm »
I guess I'll just keep offering what I make and he can either eat it or not.  I'll stop trying to make things he'll like because who knows if he'll like them that day or not!
you are braver than me for sure hehe  but u know what? last week at KFC, he ate the filet bites two full servings and wouldnt touch the fries!!!  The problem i had with KFC was the salt content!  I hate deep fat frying myself!,  arghhh

Offline Lemonthyme

• Showing Appreciation 29
    • Mamacook
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2012, 16:30:08 pm »
Hmm.  It's really interesting saying "it's not what I had in mind" because I am thinking I need to involve my son more in the decisions about what he eats.  Would that help?  Maybe give two choices (both of which you're comfortable with)?

Unfortunately I have to make tea in secret as far as possible (tricky) because otherwise I'm in for a meltdown until it's cooked and cooled enough.  Urgh.  My little fatso thinks I'm not going to feed him I think.
Here's my blog which is focussed on simple food for babies, toddlers and families http://mamacook.blogspot.com/

Offline Khalam's Mama

• Showing Appreciation 123
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2012, 19:17:14 pm »
I do try to involve k in choosing dinner. Either when we shop or if I have a few choices. He will always say he wants a tuna sandwich for all 3 meals. If he chooses something else when it is ready he denies he chose it!
Often if I offer to help him he will eat it even if he isn't hungry or doesn't like it according to him.

Offline Tweakster

« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2012, 19:22:59 pm »
Finn will refuse whatever we offer when we offer it and say he's not hungry.  But then about 1/2 hr later he's yelling for food and always for something carb-y or unhealthy ('Can I have a biscuit?') lol  So I don't trust his decision-making capabilities.  When he's older and his decisions are more reliable, he can have input.