Author Topic: 16 month old - delayed milk reaction? Help  (Read 2510 times)

Offline Kta400

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
16 month old - delayed milk reaction? Help
« on: March 28, 2012, 12:55:46 pm »
Hi all,
My son was MSPI as an infant and I breastfed until 13 months. We have avoided milk/soy up until 3 weeks ago. I introduced dairy (yogurt) to him for 10 days and he seemed to do just fine. Then last week I started some cheese and have had some mixed results. First few days were fine, then he had some MAJOR constipation. So I adjusted his diet to include things like apricots and pears but continued with the cheese and yogurt. That seemed to help but we often go from one hard poo to then really mushy. It has been hard to get some regularity. Then yesterday he 3 really mushy poos and another one this morning. The one this morning had some mucus in it (first time since 5 months!). Do you think it is the dairy? I REALLY hope it isn't but don't want him to be uncomfortable. His mood has been a little up and down but he is also getting molars. His sleep has not been disrupted so I think that is a good sign.

Any thoughts?

Katie

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 130
  • Just the wheat allergy to go now!
Re: 16 month old - delayed milk reaction? Help
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2012, 18:52:12 pm »
Ohh, a tough one  ??? teething can do all sorts of things to poo you know! Olly's poo can also vary in 'hardness'  ::) I am never sure what causes it but it isn't because he is reacting to something.

Not sure what to advise really - I would be tempted to continue as you are until the teething is out the way. No eczema etc?

Offline Kta400

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2012, 12:10:31 pm »
No eczema... I think. He gets a little tiny (like the size of a dime) of red patch on his right cheek every once in awhile. I put a little Aquaphor on there and it is clears up fast. He just developed a little patch yesterday but nothing bad.

Yesterday he had another little poo (formed) and then this morning he had another mushy one. No mucus today.

I remembered that I did give him a couple bite of vanilla pudding the other day. I know that it has skim milk as an ingredient (although it is not the low fat kind). Maybe this was it? So hard to tell.

I think maybe I will go back to just yogurt and a little cheese and see how he does until teething is over. Teething is such a pain! He has been on and off drooling with swollen gums for a month now.. and still no molars! Poor guy!
Katie

Offline Kta400

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2012, 00:07:24 am »
Ok so some big changes in just a day! Now my son has eczema starting all over his cheeks and has had 7 poos today! All little but seem to come out when he passes gas. He has such a sore little bottom!

This can't be teeth right?

I am so confused because he did so well on yogurt (I did Stoneyfield's baby yogurt to start). Then I moved to colby jack cheese and that was also fine for a week. So the only two things that are new are the pudding and mozzarella cheese. I gave him pudding earlier in the week and the last time he had any was on Sunday night. The very loose stools started yesterday and all day today. He had the mozzarella on Tuesday.

Oh and I did give him a new brand of yogurt this week. Still Stonefield but a lower fat one... some of mine.

Any thoughts? Thank you!!

Katie

Offline Kta400

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2012, 13:23:43 pm »
Hi all,
I am back... and still so confused. I have not given my son any dairy in 10 days and he had the worst day yesterday. Lots of gas and about 6 poos... all full of mucus. I just don't understand. Could it still be from dairy? We still have not gotten the molars yet. I didn't think that teeth cause mucus.?!

Last night he woke up at 10:30, 11:30, 3:30, 4:30 and finally up at 5:30 for the day. Each time he woke up he was crying hard. I gave him tylenol at 11:30 and then again at 5:30 (hoping he would fall back asleep but no dice).

Looked in his mouth today and it doesn't seem like his gums are red or anything. I am totally lost. Worried that maybe he is reacting to something else? Although I haven't given him anything new.
Katie

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2012, 21:38:03 pm »
Hi, it can take a while for the dairy to leave their system. I would hope this is maybe the end and hopefully he improves soon.

Have you introduced anything else new in the last 2 weeks?

Offline Kta400

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2012, 01:22:22 am »
Nothing else is new has been introduced ... besides maybe a sip of OJ my husband gave him!

We went in to see the allergist yesterday and she thinks he is FPIP (Food Protein Induced Proctocolitis) but she really isn't sure. It seemed strange to her that it took almost 3 weeks on dairy to start seeing the mucus. She did some blood work and it all came back normal. She sent us home with the instructions to stay off of dairy and soy for 3 months and then come back to check in. We went home and within an hour my son had 2 poos back to back - both with mucus and blood! We haven't seen blood since 5 months! I was so bummed! It just seems so weird that blood is showing up after being off of dairy for 2 weeks! I am so worried he is reacting to something else.

We have to get off of dairy, soy, oats, and rice for the next week and then go back in to the allergist. I think it is kinda funny because we are already off of dairy, soy and rice but we will try it! Sigh.

Thanks for listening... I just need a place to vent! :)
Katie

Offline Kta400

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2012, 11:51:01 am »
Just a little update:
They ran some tests on his stool this week and it came back positive for C Difsicile - which is some kind of bad bacteria. We are not sure how he got this bacteria because it usually takes over the colon after a round of antibiotics... and he hasn't been on any since January.

So the allergist is hoping that that his issues might just be related to the bacteria instead of the food. We are still staying off of dairy, soy, oat, and rice for the next week and then see the doctor again.

We are keeping our fingers crossed!
Katie

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2012, 12:40:18 pm »
Would some pro biotics help too maybe?

Offline Kta400

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2012, 00:05:20 am »
He has been on probiotics since 6 months old! So... I guess it hasn't helped but we are still giving it to him!
Katie

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2012, 22:14:27 pm »
i *think* you can get different types of anti biotics. May change it around and see - I think some some have more of the freindly bacteria- maybe he needs to boost now? I am not sure if they are different kinds of bactieria in the different brands though.