Author Topic: 'toys' at mealtimes  (Read 1220 times)

Offline Miamamma

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 6
'toys' at mealtimes
« on: March 29, 2012, 18:40:45 pm »
Hi there lovely ladies. Please can you give me your thoughts on my LOs eating habits (nearly 9 mo)
My DD has never been massively excited about solids. Sometimes she will happily accept spoon feeding or feed herself the finger food (or I hand feed her little bits).
However when feeding her at home, I often find that unless she has an object to play with, she gets frustrated and refuses to eat. She is better eating out and about as she has lots of distractions. Has anyone else found this?
Whenever possible I eat with her to make it a social occasion. I make yummy noises and try to make mealtimes fun but it's as if she doesn't have the patience to focus on just eating. Am I creating bad habits by providing mealtime entertainment? Is this a normal phase?  ???

Offline Chicane

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 103
Re: 'toys' at mealtimes
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2012, 12:39:12 pm »
We've discussed this on here before...I am in two minds but I admit that at dinner we read a book(s). I am sure its a no-no but its the only thing that focuses him - lunch time is not a problem but by the end of the day he's tired and easily distracted. I am not sure if this is going to be a problem in the future but I am hoping that one day we will eat together as a family (he has dinner too early for us at the moment) and the act of being at the table with everyone will be enough to keep him focused on the food. Lots of people here allow one or two toys...I think at this young age jsut go with it...sure you will get more answers here soon though! xo

Offline Miamamma

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2012, 13:30:46 pm »
Thank you for that Chicane. It's good to know I'm not the only one. I'm also hoping that she will grow out of it. When we eat out as a family she is fine. TBH I'm finding her exhausting at the moment as she is only happy when she is exploring new (and usually forbidden) things. I even gave her a belt to play with whilst breastfeeding this morning as she wouldn't settle for that either!

Offline We Three

• Showing Appreciation 418
  • The Sweetest Thing....
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2012, 13:37:41 pm »
 I hear you on being concerned about starting a bad habit, but honestly I really do think that you shouldn't stress about it.  I think it comes down to temperament. My dd loved to eat, loved the high-chair (because it meant FOOD!) so I never needed distraction. But if she wanted something, I gave it to her, and didn't think it took away from the experience of eating and socializing.  I actaully think a board book is a good idea! Better yet those vinyl ones that can go in the bath...because you can wash them off when he invariably spits food onto it!   ;D
 IMO, I think things like eating in front of the tv or while walking around the house are more likely to be harder habits to break.....but something cool to hold at mealtimes? I'd think it's fine if it's what your baby needs.  And will add to all the things you can chat about while eating. 

Offline Lemonthyme

• Showing Appreciation 29
    • Mamacook
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2012, 15:47:47 pm »
Why don't you give her finger foods to play with rather than a toy?  Maybe chose things with interesting and varied textures and colours so she keeps her interest, she might even start to feed herself.
Here's my blog which is focussed on simple food for babies, toddlers and families http://mamacook.blogspot.com/