Author Topic: LO making herself gag and vomit  (Read 2020 times)

Offline LucK

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 4
« on: March 31, 2012, 18:28:03 pm »
Last night during dinner, my 11 month old started to put her fist and fingers in her mouth repeatedly making herself gag.  Her eyes were watery and I've never seen her do this, she was gagging herself so I tried to keep her hand out of her mouth and distract her.  She continued so I just took her out of the high chair and she stopped doing this.  By then she ate a lot of soup which I spoon fed her, and she also ate broccolli and banana as a finger food.  Today at lunch time she was only self feeding herself pasta, veggies and then peach and started doing the same so I wanted to finish lunch but my DH said that she is not going to hurt herself and let her be.  As soon as he said this she actually vomitted.

I've never heard of babies doing this.  Could she be overeating and then feeling sick?  I never force feed her and let her decide when she's done.  Both times she was in a good mood and didn't seem bothered after she vomitted.  Any ideas?

Offline Chicane

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 103
Re: LO making herself gag and vomit
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2012, 18:41:34 pm »
I am hoping some other people who've experienced this before will come on and tell you how it was for them but reading over your post the first thing that pops into my mind is that she is experimenting. How long has she been properly eating for (actually eating not just tasting and playing around)? The other thing that comes to mind is that maybe she has some molars coming through at the back and she's trying to get her hand and fingers in there to sooth the discomfort, perhaps she does it most at food time because that's when that area gets bothered a bit more than usual???...there are some teething tools that look a little bit like toothbrushes - have you seen them? Perhaps something like that might be good for her just now. Sorry I have no direct advice but I think this will pass soon enough - especially when she figures out if she puts her hand too far back she will vomit. xoxo

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 130
  • Just the wheat allergy to go now!
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2012, 18:43:59 pm »
I have to agree with Chicane - either experimenting - that will soon stop if she has been sick or teething  - or teething. Funnily enough Olly has been walking round for 2 days with a fist in his mouth and he has never done that with teething but that is what I am putting it down to. He too has gagged a bit when his fingers go to far back.

Offline LucK

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 4
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2012, 23:50:14 pm »
During teething she usually just gnaws on her hand or toys.  This was more just sticking her fingers as far in as she could so maybe experimenting like both of you suggest.  She didn't try this during dinner so hopefully she's over it.  It really freaked me out....

Offline Chicane

• Showing Appreciation 103
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2012, 04:49:39 am »
xoxo yeah - you get those moments!