Author Topic: 18 month old wont eat veges...HELP  (Read 1295 times)

Offline taylorsmummy

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 2
18 month old wont eat veges...HELP
« on: March 30, 2012, 06:31:33 am »
My 18 month old DD is a good eater except for when it comes to veges. I would appreciate any advice given. She is great when it comes to all kinds of fruit, sandwiches, cereal etc, but when I given her any steamed veges, or casseroles, special meals made just for her she wont eat them! She is also a really slow teether and only has 6 so I feel like she sometimes struggles to eat some solids.

Again I would love any advice. I feel mean at dinner when I dont offer her anything but what I make, as I dont want her to think she can have whatever she wants. She has starting signing for more food when she doesnt want what she wants.

Thanks

Offline Lemonthyme

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 29
    • Mamacook
Re: 18 month old wont eat veges...HELP
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2012, 15:49:54 pm »
I honestly don't think they need teeth, gums are pretty hard and easy to squish things like stewed meats.

I would keep offering different vegetables in different guises. 

I did a blog post recently about hidden fruit and vegetables which can be a useful way of getting them into their diet as an insurance policy:  http://mamacook.blogspot.co.uk/2012/02/coping-with-fussy-babies-and-toddlers.html
Here's my blog which is focussed on simple food for babies, toddlers and families http://mamacook.blogspot.com/

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 130
  • Just the wheat allergy to go now!
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2012, 21:37:13 pm »
Hi, Olly was also a slow teether but I don't think it harmed what he ate. He was always more likley to eat something solid than purreed!

It is great that she eats loads of fruit. Takes the pressure off on the veg I think  ;) however I would just keep offering. Do you try veg in all guises? Tried roasted sweet potato/squash?, chopped cucumber/carrot to dip hommous or dips?

Are there any veg she will eat? Olly will only really eat peas, sweetcorn, avacado (loves it) and at a push cucumber. I rotate them on a daily basis and try other things too.

Offline Lemonthyme

• Mamacook
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2012, 05:32:52 am »
Roasted parsnip wedges went down well the other day here.  I was getting worried he wasn't eating much veg and he ate loads in one meal.  Perhaps it's just a "I don't feel like it today" thing.
Here's my blog which is focussed on simple food for babies, toddlers and families http://mamacook.blogspot.com/

Offline taylorsmummy

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2012, 08:51:27 am »
Thanks guys, some good ideas

Lemonthyme - really enjoyed looking at your blog and you have some great easy recipes that we can eat too. It has really frustrated me when I have spent the time making DD special baby meals just for her that she wont eat, atleast this way it wont be a complete loss as we will be having it too.

I have tried offering her veges in lots of different ways, but she is a smart little monkey! Some she will go for others not. I always try to offer her whole veges on the side even if they are hidden in her meal but she always rejects them.  The most frustrating part is that she will eat a store bought jar of food hands down if it is offered.

Looking forward to trying some new foods, hopefully that will work and if it is a stage she will move out of it soon...however it has been a while already...fingers crossed

Offline Lemonthyme

• Mamacook
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2012, 10:20:30 am »
Yeah, I'd just ignore the jar stuff, they make it sweet, bland and inoffensive in texture!  

I wouldn't worry.  If one pea goes in, that's fine.  Two might go in tomorrow.