Author Topic: 2rd time failed to transition milk to sippy  (Read 6342 times)

Offline Marie-O

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 4
  • Cute little feet
2rd time failed to transition milk to sippy
« on: April 01, 2012, 00:40:40 am »
Hello All!!
My DD will be 18month next week. This is the second time we try to transition milk from bottle to sippy and we failed again  :-\

She takes 3 bottles a day (6oz each): morning and noon with homo cow's milk and the bed time bottle with formula.
She drinks water just fine on a sippy.

The first time we tried to transition milk to sippy was last December, we started offering milk on the sippy all day long and as soon as she tested it she wouldn't take any more. We tried 4 different types of sippy (soft spout, with straw, etc) none worked. We tried that for 2 weeks and then decided to go cold turkey and take away the bottle thinking she might want her milk and drink the sippy after all.....well, she spent 3 days with no milk at all, she refused to drink any. Then she got a bad cold and fever and we decided she had enough and gave her back the bottle.

Second time was two weeks ago. We started again offering milk on a sippy with no luck, then I bought a regular plastic cup (with Dora the explorer, her favorite)....nothing, she won't take any.

I don't know what to do, I'm really afraid if I take the bottle away she will never ever drink milk again  :'(...she's a pretty stubborn little one.

What should I do?? Her doctor says she should be now transitioned to sippy and if she's on bottle by 2 years old she will have troubles with her teeth and that could affect her speech development. OMG I really feel the pressure  :'(

Any thoughts?

Thanks so much!
Marie

Offline Texomamama

• Showing Appreciation 15
Re: 2rd time failed to transition milk to sippy
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2012, 12:36:40 pm »
Well, sounds like you are doing the right things.....

You are going to have to either keep offering it as you are now, and she will eventually give in- or she just won't drink milk. Lots of LO's don't like milk.  OR, you might have to resort to the old trick many of us have done (and still do), and that is to make the milk itself more appealing.  The way you do this is by flavoring the milk.

This is what I do for my DD1, who is now 4.5 yo.  When I was transitioning her to a sippy, she would not drink white milk, so after just about 3 days of her refusal, I started flavoring it.  First I used Ovaltine, and that worked till she was about 3.5, then she decided it was 'yucky' and I started using Hershey's Light syrup.  This is where we are today.  It all worked very well.......until DD2, who is now 18 mo (and had been happy with white milk) started figuring out that big sis was getting something that she was not.  So, now we have that problem, and DH is adamant that she not be "ruined" with chocolate milk the way DD1 is.  In fact, I am about at the point where I am going to try another lightly flavored milk and try and pass it off to DD1 as "vanilla".  If that does not work, I am prepared to have her stop drinking milk since there are plenty of alternatives for calcium intake.

Now, personally, I am fine with the chocolate syrup.  I use the light, and in less than the recommended serving.  Moreover, a lot of experts will say flavored milk is better than no milk at all.  However, if I had it to do all over again, I would not have flavored the milk for DD1.  I would have tried harder to get her to drink the white.

Just my $.02
« Last Edit: April 02, 2012, 12:38:28 pm by Texomamama »

Offline Marie-O

• Showing Appreciation 4
  • Cute little feet
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2012, 14:43:28 pm »
Thanks Texomamama!
It's funny because my DD drinks milk just fine (cow's and formula) but wants nothing to do with the sippy.
I have thought on giving her flavoured milk, my I'm honestly struggling with it as it has too much sugar...

A good alternative a friend recommended and I might consider is giving her Enfagrow, it's a nutritional supplement for toddlers with many vitamins and minerals and has vanilla flavor (and sugar), it sounds like it's even better than milk except for the sugar. But again I'm struggling with giving her additional sugar she doesn't need.

I'll wait a little bit, I'm hoping she finishes teething soon (3 more left...finally!!) and then start again the sippy process.

Thanks for your advise! 
Marie

Offline lidiayy

• Showing Appreciation 17
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2012, 15:45:41 pm »
Hello Mariaeodon,

Just to add to what Texomamma has said (which I found very useful as I know I will face similar issues when DD2 realizes she gets different milk compared to her sister), when you're ready to restart the process, have you thought about letting her choose the cup? Maybe you have already done that, but just to check  :P
And what about 'preparing' the milk with her so that she can see that the milk is the same?
I would put off flavoring the milk as much as you can because there's no turning back, in my opinion. DD1 went from bottle to cup with straw at 20 mo and we started flavoring it with chocolate powder when she turned 3 yo. Not that I wanted, but DH insisted on offering his milk to her and obviously, she loved it. When she realised that she could have her milk tasting the same as his dad's, well I had no choice but to flavor it too. I don't put the recommended amount, though and DH says that her milk is too bland and I always have to remind him that it's HER milk not his...  >:(
Well, sorry for the rambling, it's just my BTDT experience.  ;)

Offline ~Sara~

• Showing Appreciation 264
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2012, 15:57:48 pm »
Just wanted to share my experience with DS: He NEVER drank milk from a sippy cup...just wouldn't do it.  Like your DD, he would drink anything else from a sippy just fine.  So, we kept the bedtime milk bottle until he was about 17/18 mo.  I slowly put less in.  He took it all in stride, and he's still not much of a milk drinker to this day.

If your DD eats yogurt, cheese, anything made with milk in it, or any foods high in calcium, then she'll be getting enough.  Plus, if her diet is well-rounded enough (you know, for a toddler ;)), then you shouldn't need to supplement with special drinks, etc.  We actually started giving DS a vitamin when he was a little over 2yo.

HTH a bit and eases your mind.  Some kids just don't like milk, but drink it from a bottle bc the bottle is so familiar.
*formerly tersaseda*

Offline *Kara*

• Showing Appreciation 184
  • So little!
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2012, 04:31:28 am »
Hey Marie!

We are in the same situation!  DD loves water from her sippy but won't take so much as an ounce of formula from it (milk caused a reaction so I am delaying it).  I have tried it warm, cold, in between etc...

I would avoid the Enfagrow - it has more sugar than a touch of chocolate syrup would have in it ;)

My concern with DD and the no milk in the sippy issue is Vitamin D.  We are both in Canada and know that we need something for them with Vit D - milk is the best/easiest option... I have even thought of just getting the Vit D drops for BF babies!

Offline Marie-O

• Showing Appreciation 4
  • Cute little feet
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2012, 01:52:19 am »
Hello Kara!!
Yes vitamin D' is a big concern, it is a good idea to give her the D'drop if they are not drinking milk at all.
I'll keep trying, there MUST be a way. I'm pretty sure she does love milk, is just that she's  used to the taste on the bottle. It's like us (adults) trying to drink water with a straw...doesn't taste weird to you?
Anyways....lets keep trying. This stubborn kids keeps us wondering all the time don't they?
Marie

Offline *Kara*

• So little!
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2012, 02:57:16 am »
It's like us (adults) trying to drink water with a straw...doesn't taste weird to you?

I didn't even think of that!  It totally changes the taste!  Makes perfect sense!

We still have two bottles a day - total of 16-17 ozs of formula so I am okay for Vit D right now.  But something to consider for sure.

Stubborn would be putting it mildly!

Offline ~Sara~

« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2012, 18:41:19 pm »
Have you tried going to straw sippy cups?  My SIL did that with her son, as he never really took to sippy cups with a spout.

Would your DD drink formula out of a sippy cup?  If so, then maybe make a switch back to formula for a bit in a sippy, then slowly change the ratio over to milk.

Back when DS hit a year...then 18 mos (::)) and he still wouldn't drink milk out of anything but a bottle, our ped said that as long as he was eating other sources of calcium and vitamin D--there are PLENTY of dairy and non-dairy sources--then he didn't need to be kept on formula.

The recommended vitamin d amount for kids is ~400 iu/day.  Fish like salmon and tuna have 200-700 iu/serving (depending on the fish).  A cup of milk has about 30%.  Eggs have about 10%--have to eat the yolk, though.  There's fortified OJ, cereals, etc. as well.  Plus, if your LO spends even 15 minutes out in the sun during the spring/summer/fall months, that usually does it for their daily requirement.  Also, it helps to think of nutritional amounts in terms of a week as opposed to a day.  They are toddlers after all, for better or worse, lol!

Anyways, I say that to kind of help allay any concerns and take some pressure off of LO not drinking milk apart from a bottle.  Obviously, I'm no expert, just a mom who's BTDT and who still has a picky eater at 3yo.  Soon enough, you can also give multivitamins if your LO doesn't have a well-rounded diet.  That helps ;)
*formerly tersaseda*

Offline *Kara*

• So little!
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2012, 20:55:32 pm »
Thanks Sara - I don't worry about calcium as DD loves her cheese and yogurt... but Vit D is a huge deal for us in Northern Canada... our rec is actually 800IU for half the year as we are about the midpoint of the province we live in... and the sun is useless to us for that half of the year :(  That said, I could certainly just use the D drops for BF babies :)

Maybe your milk is different in the USA??? Ours is 45% for Vit D in a cup (based on 400IU though).

DD doesn't like fish... nor OJ ;)  I don't think she has ever had more than about 3 bites of egg either.   Like you said, the picky toddler deal!

Not sure about Marie's DD, but mine won't drink formula from her sippy either - GAH!  I tried the straw sippy - she doesn't like it... I just keep offering it in her daily sippy in hopes that she will take it one day!

Offline ~Sara~

« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2012, 21:04:34 pm »
Maybe your milk is different in the USA??? Ours is 45% for Vit D in a cup (based on 400IU though).
Special USA cows ;)  Eh, I'll check again when I get back home ;)  I do have Mommy Mush brain these days!

There's always cod liver oil.  Yummmmm!
*formerly tersaseda*

Offline *Kara*

• So little!
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2012, 21:12:02 pm »
Special USA cows

LOL!  It must be your Texan cows with big hats and boots ;)

Offline ~Sara~

« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2012, 01:52:41 am »
ut Vit D is a huge deal for us in Northern Canada... our rec is actually 800IU for half the year as we are about the midpoint of the province we live in.
I think 800iu is the adult rec, whereas 400iu is for children.  The AAP just made 400iu the new amount in the past few months.  So, that's where I pulled that number from.

Checked our milk and it's only 25% vitamin d in a cup...it's organic 1% milk, not sure if they're Texas cows but it sure is yummy :)

When my DH and his family lived in Norway, they had to take supplements.  Seems like milk alone can't give us all that we need anyways (bummer).
*formerly tersaseda*

Offline *Kara*

• So little!
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2012, 03:37:55 am »
I think 800iu is the adult rec, whereas 400iu is for children.

Not in northern Canada - it's 800IU for babies from birth for the winter months (oct-apr) and 400 for the summer months (may-sept).

Checked our milk and it's only 25% vitamin d in a cup...it's organic 1% milk, not sure if they're Texas cows but it sure is yummy

I was in the grocery store today and actually checked all fatness (LOL) of milk here - organic or not, it's all 45% in a cup... from homo down to skim!

Offline ~Sara~

« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2012, 14:54:27 pm »
Interesting to note the differences...although I'm sure any baby getting 800+ isn't a huge deal.

I was in the grocery store today and actually checked all fatness (LOL) of milk here - organic or not, it's all 45% in a cup... from homo down to skim!
Sounds like it's just a difference in fortification then.  Who knew?
*formerly tersaseda*