Author Topic: What does my DS want for his 3rd birthday?  (Read 5340 times)

Offline <Catherine>

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 149
What does my DS want for his 3rd birthday?
« on: April 02, 2012, 09:18:48 am »
We have no idea what to get him this year, and I'm being asked by everyone else what THEY should buy him too!  ::)

What does your 3 year old love?

I will probably just ask for the money to be saved for him, either for the future, or in case we decide he needs/wants something later in the year, but just thought I'd throw the question out there in case you lovely ladies have some wonderful ideas  :D

I can't think of anything for indoor use that he needs/would want, and with the better weather I feel he should have more outside stuff, but we don't have a huge amount of outside space and he has a small trampoline, sand/water table and slide (as well as smaller stuff like mower, buckets, wheel barrow etc).

Oh, and my baby will be 3  :'( Growing up so fast. Love him to bits  :-*
Catherine x

Offline koe2moe

• Showing Appreciation 250
  • Battle on the chess board
Re: What does my DS want for his 3rd birthday?
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2012, 09:40:41 am »
Hugs, Cath!  they do grow up too fast!!! 

We got DS his first bike with training wheels but he wasnt impressed because we did bother wrapping it up!!  Bad mommy.  Would ollie like crane?  Really tall one?  Train set, nicer cutlery set, not so baby ones, books, construction toys.  I need ideas for his half birthday, too as it will be in june, much nicer than december.

Offline <Catherine>

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2012, 09:59:16 am »
He does have a bike actually Koe, that was what I had planned for his 3rd birthday but we were given a second hand one a couple of months ago - in hindsight I should have kept that for his birthday  ::) But DH is fanatical about anything bike so couldnt wait to let him use it!!  ::)

He loves trains and cars, but has hundreds of them! A crane isn't a bad idea, he'd like that I'm sure :)
Catherine x

Offline koe2moe

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2012, 10:26:10 am »
These kids have tonnes of what they love already ::)

Offline <Catherine>

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2012, 10:33:02 am »
These kids have tonnes of what they love already
Exactly!! I really feel as though we are just spending for the sake of it!
Catherine x

Offline koe2moe

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2012, 11:26:37 am »
If you could get money instead of various more useless repeats of toys, that would be best, then he can choose, perhaps?  Or at least you can wait till he has a real need for something new.  Oh and power drill and tools set?  And a kitchen!  My DS would love a pink hello kitty kitchen but he now plays with lego and says he is cooking.  He really doesnt need another toy for his imaginery play, so why spend the money and lose more space!!

I also want to upgrade DS's cars/construction stuff to the diecast stuff which is strong and much more real and space efficient :p. the big plastic ones can be strictly for outdoors use, like beach hehe.  They are for 3+ look for siku 1:87 ratio on amazon.co.uk

Offline michaeljacknnugg

• Showing Appreciation 214
  • New life
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2012, 11:27:05 am »
I'd recommend a scooter; we have a maxi micro and it's great for getting around without him using up a load of energy. And at the park all the kids zoom off on theirs together - they are just not ready for bikes yet (apart from balance bikes).

It's expensive, but really worth it for the build quality. It's not worth getting a mini micro as the weight limit is 20kg!
My 'little man' - kind-hearted Spirited whirlwind, 2008
My love, my everything - BabyTwo, Nov 2015

Offline <Catherine>

« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2012, 11:37:32 am »
Hmmm a scooter is a thought too actually....
Catherine x

Offline koe2moe

« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2012, 11:40:32 am »
I forgot about plasma car also!  I want one for myself.  We have one already and i could sit on it with DS together but it is hard for me to keep my feet off the ground.  I just want one so that i can use it when i want and not with a toddler screaming after me saying "mommy may not!"
« Last Edit: April 02, 2012, 11:43:49 am by koe2moe »

Offline C&B&E

• Showing Appreciation 34
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2012, 12:24:16 pm »
duplo - before this my ds would pretty much only play with cars - but now he LOVES building and playing with this stuff. 

http://www.amazon.co.uk/LEGO-5653-DUPLO-Stone-Quarry/dp/B003A2JBT6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1333369305&sr=8-1
http://www.amazon.co.uk/LEGO-5652-Duplo-Legoville-Construction/dp/B003A2JBSC/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1333369305&sr=8-2

these two go really well together

he's also got this one
http://www.amazon.co.uk/LEGO%C2%AE-DUPLO%C2%AELEGOVille-5681-Police-Station/dp/B0042HOTUE/ref=dp_cp_ob_k_h_b_cs_title_1

all of these were bought with birthday money/from family but then we got a job lot of bricks from ebay to supplement it as he git frustrated not being able to build different stuff
Claire x

Offline *Becky*

• Showing Appreciation 255
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2012, 19:55:17 pm »
def a scooter xx

Henry James and Martha Rose - my spirited pair!

Offline skatty

• Showing Appreciation 352
  • My spirited girl
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2012, 08:55:07 am »
Don't forget about getting money towards season tickets for the zoo or something, these are great because you get to do something instead of getting a lot of plastic junk  :P When my dd was younger I also thought about what she may be interested in in 6-8 months time because they develop quickly at that age and would put presents away until she was ready. I have to agree with the duplo too, there is so much that can be done with it and it is great to set up a town or something on a rainy day and then just leave them to it, my dd is now onto lego and she can spend hours in her room playing  :)
Katt

Offline Lolly

• Bottle Feeding, Discipline and Socialization
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 318
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2012, 09:09:02 am »
Is his trampoline a proper one with an enclosure? If not and you have enough outside space what about a small 6ft one, you could ask for money and put it towards one? We bought one that size for DD last year and she loves it and it's quite compact but big enough for my two!

Other than that I'm stryggling for DD too! She has everything a girl could need already and everything of DS's ::). I have sent for some Wiggles stuff from Aus (really hoping it arrives before May!) and she seems drawn to the new girly lego. Grandma bought her a Peppa Pig playset for Easter which is a big hit so I can see more of that coming here ::) more plastic bits is just whay my house needs ::) ::)

Laura

Offline *Becky*

• Showing Appreciation 255
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2012, 14:24:07 pm »
A crane isn't a bad idea, he'd like that I'm sure
we got H a crane for his birthday which is a playmobil one. he loves it x

Henry James and Martha Rose - my spirited pair!

Offline <Catherine>

« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2012, 12:59:51 pm »
Thank ladies, and sorry for the lack of replying  ::)

With regards to a trampoline Laura, I definitely would be getting DS a proper one if we had room, but we really don't - the one he's got is only a little one. My mum bought a huge one for her garden for DS and DN and they love it.

I'm going to investigate the scooter and I think he'd love the Duplo - I do wonder if he's quite able to use it properly yet though?
Catherine x

Offline Lolly

• Bottle Feeding, Discipline and Socialization
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 318
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2012, 13:04:48 pm »
Actually I've had a better idea - he could have his future wife for his birthday! ;D ;D He would be able to train her to do his bidding at an early age - cos I'm having no luck getting her to do what I want (you know things like listen, eat some lunch etc). Can you tell PMT and a stroppy toddler are not mixing well in this house today ::) :P.

Laura

Offline <Catherine>

« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2012, 13:11:49 pm »
She'd keep him thoroughly entertained and probably make my life easier.....so send her over! ;)
Catherine x

Offline We Three

• Showing Appreciation 418
  • The Sweetest Thing....
« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2012, 13:46:56 pm »
How about a tent?  My dd is in love with tents, and she (at 5 yo) is on her 3rd one...and is in it every day...it's like her own little private spot!!! You can get indoor ones (what we have) and we just leave it set up...it is really awesome!!! 

http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2419931

http://www.overstock.com/Sports-Toys/Explorer-Dome-Indoor-outdoor-Childrens-Small-Play-Tent/5394877/product.html

Offline <Catherine>

« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2012, 14:08:33 pm »
Well, he has got a tent but he gets very frustrated with it because he sits in it and leans against the side and it falls over  ::) It's not very big though so perhaps a bigger one would be a good idea - he does love it.
Catherine x

Offline kimbo613

• Showing Appreciation 4
  • Cait - 23 mo
« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2012, 03:07:28 am »
Great ideas.  I'm also looking for b'day ideas since we do his party in the summer.  He got a tent for Christmas and loves it.  It's a proper "camping" tent that we can eventually use for real, but now is just for play.  We set it up in his room (it barely fit) and he would bring a flashlight and books in there with a pillow.  I also got out his tunnel and put it through the door so that he had to go in that way, which he loved.

I say duplo blocks as well.  DS got a Lightning Mcqueen themed set for Christmas, and has started in the last month or so to actually build stuff on his own with them.

Other ideas: dress-up clothes, art supplies, playdough stuff, sandbox?  Also, there are magazines geared toward toddler/preschool age.  My SIL got DS a subscription to Wild Animal Baby and he loves it.  Don't know if they have it in the UK, but maybe something like it.

All that said, I'm not sure what we are getting DS either, though the scooter idea is worth looking into.
-Kim

I breastfed for a total of 2yrs, 3months, and 1week

Offline michaeljacknnugg

• Showing Appreciation 214
  • New life
« Reply #20 on: April 17, 2012, 07:35:29 am »
We've started on proper Lego already - and did so at 3 - so unless younger siblings and swallowing small pieces are a worry it may be worth bypassing the Duplo and going straight to Lego.

They do some lovely little sets that make 3 different small models - Lego Creator.
My 'little man' - kind-hearted Spirited whirlwind, 2008
My love, my everything - BabyTwo, Nov 2015

Offline ZacsMumme

• Showing Appreciation 425
  • You complete me
    • Tomi & Roo Boutique
« Reply #21 on: April 22, 2012, 07:43:34 am »
Does your DS like water, what about something like the aquaplay sets? They are pricey but you can prob find something similar a bit cheaper.
http://www.aquaplay.se/
***Sara***
https://www.facebook.com/tomiandroo

DS1 - Our sensitive soul. Silent reflux.

DS2 Our cheeky chipmunk. Reflux, MSPI.