Author Topic: Problems with bathtimes  (Read 2676 times)

Offline Lemonthyme

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 29
    • Mamacook
Problems with bathtimes
« on: April 03, 2012, 18:51:55 pm »
Sorry mods if this is in the wrong place, please move if it is.

So, here is the situation.  A couple of weeks ago, my son flat refused his bath.  Cried when I went to put him in and I was in the house on my own so I figured "don't make a fuss" just carried on with the bedtime routine and put him to bed.

Next night he was fine but then it happened again, and again.  He would go in if I went in with him but not on his own and even with me in the bath, he would not sit on the bottom (on the non slip mat).  After some work, I managed to coax him in, he'd stand up (holding the handles) and gradually lower himself in.  I'm away from home with him for a few days at the moment because we're having work done and it's all gone to pot again.  I will try coaxing him back in when we're back at home but I'm just curious as to whether anyone has any ideas on what this might be caused by?

He's nearly 23 months old and this is coinciding with rejection of the high chair (will regularly now only eat when sat on a lap or a normal chair even though he's too short).  I get that maybe he might be old enough now to go for a booster seat instead of his high chair so that's probably what we'll do.  It's also coincided though with a general deterioration in mood.  He's been having tantrums for months but we were getting on ok.  A few weeks ago though I was having to spend more time at work than normal and he rejected me when I came back to our normal routine.  That had improved but today he's been terrible, rejecting me for Gran and Grandad completely.  We used to be so close, it's making me really sad.   :'(

His sleep has been variable over the past 3-4 weeks.  He's back to waking 1-2 times a night but usually when tangled up or in an odd position in his cot so once he's sorted out he seems to be back off quickly.  He naps for 1-2 hours during the day from 12/12:30 ish (more at home than at nursery) and sleeps from 7pm - 5-6am.  We keep him in bed till 5:30am if he wakes earlier.

Any ideas?  I miss him.   ???
Here's my blog which is focussed on simple food for babies, toddlers and families http://mamacook.blogspot.com/

Offline rach321

• My monkey boys.
Re: Problems with bathtimes
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2012, 19:24:27 pm »
Hugs - its rubbish when they start disliking bath time.  Has anything happened to him in a bath to trigger this? When DS1 was a similar age we went through the same thing - just suddenly hated the bath, no rhyme or reason.  We just used to sponge him down while he was standing and then take him out - no sense in prolonging the agony.  Would your DS take a shower instead - DS1 absolutely hated the shower so that wasn't an option for us. If its any comfort the phase passed after a few weeks and we all started enjoying bath time again.  It does sound like he's got a lot of other stuff going on at the moment as well - maybe the bath is one thing he feels he has some control over?

Offline Lemonthyme

• Mamacook
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2012, 19:44:16 pm »
Sorry I should have said, that was my first thought, has he fallen?  Nope, not with me or with my husband.  I was convinced something would have happened at nursery but to my knowledge they haven't played with water there.

Perhaps he's just picking up on my discomfort.  Work is tough, it's hard sharing a house with my in laws however much I love them to bits.

Thanks for the tips.  I'll keep some heart things will get better.
Here's my blog which is focussed on simple food for babies, toddlers and families http://mamacook.blogspot.com/

Offline rach321

• My monkey boys.
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2012, 19:50:48 pm »
Not sure how much time you have but might be worth getting him to bath his favorite toys maybe he's got a teddy/toy that he's happy to give a bath - washing up bowl from the sink will do, lots of bubbles and away you go?! Something else that just occurred was that DS1 suddenly had an aversion to the bubbles - he seemed a bit more relaxed when we took out the bubbles. Could be that he's picking up on your emotions - both my boys are very sensitive to my emotions and if I'm down then they are too. Hope things pick up for you soon. These days if OH is away then me and the kids all get in the shower together - always a good laugh!

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 130
  • Just the wheat allergy to go now!
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2012, 19:54:42 pm »
We are going through the same thing. Have graduated to standing in bath only now! Have new bath toy on order from Amazon hoping it entices him in!

Offline Roseii

• Showing Appreciation 198
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2012, 20:19:14 pm »
Both my girls have had these random phases where they v suddenly passionately hate the bath! No idea what triggered it, I just kept "offering" bath time every night and not making a fuss if they were too upset to get in, then one day, they were done again! V odd ::)
Blessed mum to two home-birthed darling water babies

hey you with the pretty face, welcome to the human race

Offline becj86

• Showing Appreciation 346
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2012, 08:25:40 am »
I do a shower if he won't take a bath...

Offline ZacsMumme

• Showing Appreciation 425
  • You complete me
    • Tomi & Roo Boutique
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2012, 07:45:31 am »
So far when Z decides ' no way bath ' I get in with him and he seems to come right. For us it's usually a bit of random fear. only other thing hat makes him cry in the bath, sore bum...rash or so on.
***Sara***
https://www.facebook.com/tomiandroo

DS1 - Our sensitive soul. Silent reflux.

DS2 Our cheeky chipmunk. Reflux, MSPI.

Offline Lemonthyme

• Mamacook
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2012, 12:38:35 pm »
Yeah, we've got to that point too, I get in if he gets upset and now 80% of the time he's fine.

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Forum Moderator
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2012, 12:40:07 pm »
Olly is still only standing in the bath!! Seems a waste of water when only his feet go in!

Offline Lemonthyme

• Mamacook
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2012, 18:55:38 pm »
He did this to start with and then I started splashing his bottom saying "are you going to get your bottom wet?" then he started squatting (but not sitting), now he's back to full sitting.

Offline ZacsMumme

• You complete me
    • Tomi & Roo Boutique
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2012, 20:03:31 pm »
Hehe sorry it's such a pain, but kind of cute...with their wee butts in the air and only ankle deep in the water ;)
We have had stages of this and I just wash around Z. He eventually gets back in. Esp if DH is in the with him and got cool toys ;)
***Sara***

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Forum Moderator
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2012, 20:54:57 pm »
Olly is having fun in there.. eventually anyway. Getting him in is still hard work. Just a phase huh?  ::)

Offline ZacsMumme

• You complete me
    • Tomi & Roo Boutique
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2012, 21:26:12 pm »
Yah I'm sure it'll be a phase! z gets them on and off still which is weird as he usually LOVes the bath!
***Sara***

Offline Truly Blessed

• Showing Appreciation 125
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2012, 12:33:27 pm »
UGH ((HUGS))  :P

Also remember it well, there seemed to be no rhyme or reason   ::) but it didn't last long. It seems he's just playing his 'Right to choose' card  ;) which if I remember rightly Sam did a lot at that age (oh and ever since  ::)) I also just let Sam stand in the water and washed him, then out very quickly. I seem to remember telling him 'Don't worry Darling if you don't want to have fun in the bath playing with your toys, then Mammy won't make you' and this seemed to make him think. Eventually he clearly decided that maybe he would  ;) Took about a week.

Vicki.x.