Author Topic: 6 month - BLW/Finger food + Puree advice!  (Read 1876 times)

Offline lil_ginge

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
  • Psalm 139:13! :)
    • Supporting Christian Unions in Sixth Forms and FE Colleges - because 16-19s are fab! :)
6 month - BLW/Finger food + Puree advice!
« on: April 05, 2012, 18:36:12 pm »
Hello!

Mods - please feel free to direct me to a similar post and delete this if it's taking up space.

DD has just started solids this week. And - amazingly... the chick seems to be doing well! *yay!*

We started on baby rice and mummy milk for 2 days... then today I mixed in some pear puree and she downed about 3/4 teaspoons and kept on with as much milk as before.

The last few afternoons- she seems to realllllly enjoy grabbing a bit of banana or mango and gnawing away and sucking it to bits. We were just going to stick with puree's but caved after she was reaching for some of the banana we were eating!

SO...

Do you think doing a finger food and mush-with-spoon eating combo will get confusing?

On the finger food department - I've seen sights saying "Give your kid anything! What you're eating - go right ahead" but are there age appropriate foods and foods best to stay clear of at this stage? Especially things I make with herbs and seasoning and potentially a dash of alcohol... Is this a no go?

Any suggestions of finger foods I could give for maybe one meal a day (alongside spoon stuff) for 6 month old with no teethies?

Cheers lassies! x

* Claire *

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Forum Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 130
  • Just the wheat allergy to go now!
Re: 6 month - BLW/Finger food + Puree advice!
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2012, 18:50:22 pm »
Hi there,

There are loads of threads here that probably cover your questions so feel free to browse around and see if oyu get any hekp but you are more than welcome to post and get some help and advice of your own  :)

We did a mix of finger foods and puree. I don't think there is anything wrong with it!

The advice in the UK is to wait until 6 months but then introduce a wide variety of foods. There are the usual no go foods though (can be found on the NHS website).

If you have a history of allergies in your family then I would introduce foods slowly and have at least a 3 day break in between.

However some LOs can react to foods even if they are not allergic. There are many cases on here where babies can get constipated so in the begininning it may be wise to stick with just a few basic foods whist her tummy gets used to digesting the solids.

Hope this helps.

BBx

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Forum Moderator
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2012, 18:51:07 pm »

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2012, 22:06:18 pm »
The NHS advice here is to do blw and that there is no need to puree stuff now after 6mo but some mums still prefer to puree stuff. I did a mix with my ds1 (that was the recs at the time) but am doing blw with ds2. Have you spoken to your local health visitor? I got a leaflet that condensed the essential advice based on of the blw book into 2 sides of A4 which was really helpful.

Even traditional weaning with purees (used to be from 4mo) allowed for adding fingerfoods at 6-7mo.

As BB says you are best to check the NHS website for the most up to date advice on foods to avoid but the main ones are salt and foods with a high risk of food poisoning like shellfish and under ooked eggs.
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Forum Moderator
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2012, 06:11:26 am »
I really didn't know that the NHS was recommending BLW now. That has changed in the last 2 years then!

Offline *Ali*

• Forum Moderator
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2012, 06:29:58 am »
I know! My two are only 20 months apart and so much has changed. I sort of got the feeling at least one of the HVs wasn't too sure and was quite old fashioned and she was just promoting BLW because it was what they had been told to do.

Offline lil_ginge

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
  • Psalm 139:13! :)
    • Supporting Christian Unions in Sixth Forms and FE Colleges - because 16-19s are fab! :)
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2012, 16:36:00 pm »
Thanks ladies..

Will take a trip to the nhs site. My health visitor wasn't too helpful I have to say... (Well, not my normal one). She was very adament 'no food before 6 months' (which I was fine with) but then was very keen to get her on 3 meals as soon as possible! Like in a matter of weeks... I thought it was supposed to be a gentler, take it as it comes - approach! I think she must have disagreed that milk is most important till a year? (Was strong that it's because of the lack of nutrients etc in milk that I needed to get her on food!)

I got a little nhs book which talks about mushing, pureeing and finger foods which was cool!
* Claire *

Offline *Ali*

• Forum Moderator
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2012, 18:25:04 pm »
Interesting they aren't promoting blw where you are. Maybe the local pct are free to choose.