Author Topic: Milk alternatives  (Read 1684 times)

Offline ~Emma~

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 221
  • And then there were 2.....
Milk alternatives
« on: April 05, 2012, 08:19:41 am »
So D is still on neocate. I need to get her off it ideally but she will take nothing else.

Thus far I have tried Coconut milk (which she'll take in her cereal but not in a sippy), almond milk, hazelnut milk and oat milk. Is there anything I have missed? All these milks are pretty sweet IMO so I dont understand why she has a preference to yucky neocate over them.

What do you do when they wont take an alternative? We have dropped the morning bottle now so she is only getting one bottle of neocate a day now (6oz at BT). She cries and cries in the morning for her milk. Its so heartbreaking. :'(

Offline ~ Vik ~

• Showing Appreciation 224
Re: Milk alternatives
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2012, 10:24:52 am »
Have you tried hemp milk? There's also rice milk, but I don't think it's recommended for very young lo's.

When I transitioned Dylan to soy milk I had to gradually mix it to get him to accept it. I'm on my iPod so tough to post links, but the exact method I used is in my breast to bottle FAQ. I wonder if you could do something like that for her neocate? Pick a milk and gradually mix it in?

And if she cries for her milk in the morning could you not still offer it? She's young yet, maybe offer a smaller amount or offer it in a cup rather than the bottle? We did a morning bottle (just 4oz) for Dylan until he was just over 2.
D ~ dairy, egg, peanut/nut and mustard allergies
Proud to have breastfed for over 24 months!

Offline Lolly

• Bottle Feeding, Discipline and Socialization
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 318
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2012, 10:26:04 am »
Will she take the neocate in a sippy in the morning? Have you tried mixing one of the other milks with the neocate and very gradually swapping it so she gets used to the new taste gradually? I think I'd go for whichever milk is the easiest for you to get hold of and then stick with that for drinks and do the gradual wean with all the daytime milk she has now.

Laura

posted same time as Vikki ;)

Offline ~Emma~

• Showing Appreciation 221
  • And then there were 2.....
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2012, 11:17:08 am »
For some reason I didn't think of a gradual wean. That is why you ladies are so invaluable!!

I think I'll stick with the coconut milk and do a gradual wean. Its the easiest to get a hold off.

I think the sippy is part of the issue. She'll drink water/juice from it fine but milk she can still be a bit funny with but still more likely to drink neocate form it than anything else. She will cry for her bottle though.

Her solids diet is pretty varied atm and I feel confident that she can do without the formula and I can certainly do without the PITA.