Author Topic: Need some hugs/BTDT advice - going gluten, casein, egg free, 2 yr old :(  (Read 5063 times)

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 130
  • Just the wheat allergy to go now!
Thanks Nicole - I will try them out as he is a bit hit and miss with chicken now where before he used to love it!

I have heard that you can make a pizza base/crust with polenta - I am going to try that too I think.

I made socca yesterday which is a chickpea flatbread - really easy and cheap - Olly refused it (seeing a trend here lol? ::)) but we liked it with achicken and greek slad on top.

Offline MasynSpencerElliotte

• Showing Appreciation 249
Oh, Heidi, by the way -- DS LOVES the Daiya! He has never eaten pizza before, but I am hoping that at some point he'll try it with the Daiya cheese.

Oh, good!  Spencer used to eat pizza with just sauce on it, but she hasn't been into it lately, perhaps some "cheese" would help!
Heidi

Offline Sam-n-Max's Mommy

• Showing Appreciation 29
The socca sounds delicious! Can you buy it already made or did you make it from scratch? If so, can you post the recipe if you have a moment? I would totally try that with my DS and even if he didn't like it, DH and I would!

Polenta is also a good idea!

Heidi- I am thinking that if my DS won't eat gfcfef pizza with "cheese", then maybe I can try it with just sauce like Spencer used to like.  It's all baby steps around here. 

I've been trying to do some food chaining, but it's really only working with fruit!! We started with raspberries, then he started to eat strawberries, then blackberries, then we hit a wall.  Last week he tried blueberries and now really likes them which is awesome.  I am now trying to pass off black grapes as "big blueberries" LOL.  He ate a few in the same way that he eats blueberries -- he puts his little finger in the middle and presses down hard to squish it and then picks it up and eats it.  I'm hoping this new willingness to try fruit (with some innocent trickery on my part lol) will start to apply to other foods, but I'm really not that hopeful LOL. :)
--Nicole
(formerly samsmommy3312010)

By the way, Heidi, I have to thank you again for the smoothie idea.  He is really, really starting to enjoy drinking it.  I can even put his probiotic in it because I can feel confident that he'll drink the whole thing.  Plus, I'm getting the milk into him! You are a lifesaver! :-*
--Nicole

Offline MasynSpencerElliotte

• Showing Appreciation 249
You're welcome...I wish that idea would fly around here, Masyn might be into to it though, which might catch Spencer's attention! Hmmm..will have to test that theory.

Love the black grapes = big blueberries!  We intially got Spencer to try ham by telling her it was new ham hotdogs  ;D   She is getting better with us using the if/then theory...ie if she wants more of a favourite food then she has to taste one bite of the one she doesn't really like. 
Heidi

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
There are recipes if you google it but basically it is 1 cup chickpea flour (called gram flour here), 1 cup warn water, going glug olive oil, seasoning. Whisk to make thick batter then leave as long as possible (helps break down the proteins to make to more digestible apparently) but at least 30 mins, can be overnight. Fry in pancakes in olive oil.

Offline Mom to M&M

• Showing Appreciation 128
  • Cool dude!
Have to dash but wanted to offer hugs. I am gluten, dairy and soy free. DS is dairy free. DD and DH eat basically everything! I do have some recipes to share later - but also wanted to say that my DS really likes the O'Soy vanilla yogurt. He has one 6 ounce container of it 2-3 times a week. My holistic practitioner is totally fine with small amounts of soy, even with with young boys. She just prefers it be organic/non-GMO soy and no more than 8 ounces daily at most.
Karen: Proud Mama to Marisa (8-11-05) and Matthew (6-5-09) and happily married to my best friend and love of my life since 10-13-01

Thanks, Karen.  I'm trying not to be too crazy about soy since things are so limited to begin with.  I've been giving him things with it in it a little bit here and have been only using organic/non-GMO like you suggested!
--Nicole

Buntybear - I know I had posted a chix nuggets recipe for you a few weeks back. Just wanted to let you know that I adapted it to use ground turkey, so you can try that if you want to also.  I basically just put ground turkey, sprinkled some garlic powder, paprika, salt, onion powder, and pepper in a bowl, mixed it all together, formed little balls, dipped them in gf flour, then in prepared egg replacement, and then in the gf breadcrumbs (I added a little garlic powder and salt to the breadcrumbs as well but very little).  Drizzled the melted Earth Balance spread over them and baked them. I was shocked, but they were a big hit.  I know he probably thought they were chicken, but that's ok :)  My goal is to move on to normal turkey burgers with no bun from here ::)  Baby steps ::) :)
--Nicole

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
Oh yummy! They sound fab, thanks  :-*