Author Topic: Baby Led Weaning Support Thread #11  (Read 87238 times)

Offline amayzie

• Pinterest Ninja
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 250
Re: Baby Led Weaning Support Thread #11
« Reply #135 on: April 27, 2012, 13:02:04 pm »
I don't and haven't for a while.... but that's me... i did for a while when he was first starting solids... but then stopped- say around 8 months or so? I saw conflicting advice as to whether it was needed or not. It may vary on where you are from.
Katy, Mummy to Hamish!

dburseth

« Reply #136 on: April 27, 2012, 13:40:56 pm »
I don't either. We're on our own well water. I do worry during spring runoff though so I get our water elsewhere till things clear up.

They drink so little though I don't see  that what you're doing is a big deal.  I say if you feel better doing it then keep on keepin' on :)

Offline Papaya

• Showing Appreciation 79
    • It's a dangerous thing, stepping out your front door...
« Reply #137 on: April 27, 2012, 14:45:22 pm »
We only drink bottled water, so I don't boil. But tbh, I wouldn't boil anyway if I lived somewhere with good potable tap water.
*Nuala*

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #138 on: April 27, 2012, 15:04:18 pm »
Rebecca we don't boil water. The UK recs are only to boil water before 6mo and it isn't necessary after that. It is no more likely to cause problems than raw veg and the bowls etc you would wash in tap water. Obviously that doesn't apply to when you use it to make formula when it does need to be boiled to sterilize the formula.
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011

Offline amayzie

• Pinterest Ninja
« Reply #139 on: April 28, 2012, 04:25:00 am »
Why does it need to beboiled to sterilize the formula? You generally don't make the formula up WITH the boiled water? Wehaven't used formula- i'm just interested...
Katy, Mummy to Hamish!

Offline *Ali*

• Forum Moderator
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #140 on: April 28, 2012, 06:24:24 am »
Well we don't actually use formula here either but yes Katy the water you use to make formula is supposed to be over 70 degrees C to kill the bugs. You are then supposed to cool the made-up formula down before giving it to bubs of course. I know a lot of people cut corners and don't follow the guidelines or perhaps the guidelines are different in some countries but that is what most formula packets say to do here in the UK and what gov guidelines here say.
 http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/pregnancy-and-baby/pages/making-up-infant-formula.aspx

Offline amayzie

• Pinterest Ninja
« Reply #141 on: April 28, 2012, 09:54:08 am »
Interesting- i just looked at ours- this is from a reputable public hospital:

http://kidshealth.chw.edu.au/fact-sheets/how-make-infant-formula

It suggests boiling the water- AND LETTING IT COOL before making up the formula! So interesting how these things vary!

Again- this whole discussion is purely acedemic as neither of us use formula ::) this is why i love it here- people with the same interest in knowing things as I have!!
Katy, Mummy to Hamish!

Offline amayzie

• Pinterest Ninja
« Reply #142 on: April 28, 2012, 10:03:35 am »
ANd ali- DH said you probably would find the walking dead too scaary! He's been watching a few on his own- and there was a particularly scary one...

And I know you like post apocolyptic movies- so I thought i'd share that i'm currently watching '12 monkeys'!

Now- back to your discussion about BLW! ;D
Katy, Mummy to Hamish!

Offline *Ali*

• Forum Moderator
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #143 on: April 28, 2012, 12:51:42 pm »
I have made up formula for my.nephew when his mum was in hospital before which is why I knew that was our recs. These things always vary from country to country. That is one thing I have found using this site. Drives me batty actually. The UK recs always seem more strict too. ::)

Do you guys get told to sterilize the equipment like spoons and bowls for feeding? I believe we used to but not anymore now the age rec has changed to 6mo for weaning. Thank goodness. How do you sterilize a highchair tray? I do of course wash it with antibacterial surface cleanser.

Colby likes raw apple. He really gives it a good munch.

Offline amayzie

• Pinterest Ninja
« Reply #144 on: April 28, 2012, 13:11:08 pm »
Hamish also loves raw apple- we will grate it up for him- but he gives it a very good munch with his little teeth!

I think it's suggested you sterilize the spoons if you're feeding before 6 months- but not after- just use proper kitchen hygeine after that... not crazy clean...

I think it is good to be mindful of the different recs as there are different factors in different countries.. like water quality... other things... dunno... still- confusing!
Katy, Mummy to Hamish!

Offline Fiver

• Showing Appreciation 152
  • Anyone for omelette?
« Reply #145 on: April 28, 2012, 14:54:39 pm »
Yes, recs are to use boiled water over 70deg due to the fact that formula is not sterile and can contain various contaminates (anything from bacteria to, in some cases live (or dead) insects).  When I was mixed feeding DS I always just used the water straight out of the kettle and then cooled it down before feeding to him (or filled a metal thermos flask with boiling water if I was going out so it hadn't cooled too much before making up).
*** Amanda ***

Offline Whatbit

• Showing Appreciation 13
  • Triple Trouble
« Reply #146 on: April 28, 2012, 17:00:12 pm »
I never sterlize the highchair tray!!  But I do wash it after every use in hot soapy water...

Neve is having issues with eating.  I think it must be teeth because she's hungry and grabbing for food but cries and cries when she's eating... this seems to have started about 4 days ago I think.  And a spoon with yogurt or applesauce?  Forget it.  SHe turns her head and cries.  I'm still BFing so she won't starve but I feel bad for her :(   

Ali, does Colby have teeth?  I haven't tried raw apple yet- just applesauce and steamed apple pieces.  Neve's favourite is avacado.  But she chowed down on mango recently and loves strawberries and hummus. 
~Stef~

Offline *Ali*

• Forum Moderator
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #147 on: April 28, 2012, 17:37:46 pm »
Haha stef, no I don't sterilize the highchair tray either. I just meant it is just as well we aren't told to sterilize all the feeding equipment because I imagine a lot of us just plonk the food straight on it and it would be impossible. I don't sterilize anything except bottles and the pump when I use them, which isn't often enough opps!

Colby only has the bottom two front teeth which are halfway up height-wise and the top ones are just cutting through the gums now. He sucks on it and gums it I think.

Offline Fiver

• Showing Appreciation 152
  • Anyone for omelette?
« Reply #148 on: April 28, 2012, 19:08:50 pm »
Teeth are a luxury ;)
D has eaten all sorts without having any (or just the one she has currently) :)
*** Amanda ***

Offline Whatbit

• Showing Appreciation 13
  • Triple Trouble
« Reply #149 on: April 30, 2012, 16:22:24 pm »
Neve too- though the bottom 2 look to be popping through any time now.  Chicken went over well yesterday.  I was amazed at the quantity she consumed!
~Stef~