Author Topic: Baby Led Weaning Support Thread #11  (Read 87300 times)

Offline amayzie

• Pinterest Ninja
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 250
Re: Baby Led Weaning Support Thread #11
« Reply #150 on: May 02, 2012, 21:58:12 pm »
Well- adventures in baby led weaning- Hamish went to the creche at the gym yesterday- and i left him with 2 crusketts to eat. So he had them fine! But i peeked in to the creche to see him going through some other kid's bag and lunch box!! I saw him with the drink bottle trying to work out how to get to it!! I didn't look for too long- so they possibly grabbed it off him!

Oh- and have you ladies tried this? http://mamacook.blogspot.com.au/2012/01/easy-chicken-tikka-for-babies-and.html

It's sooo simple and we LOVE it! Hamish loves it too! THe boy almost ate a whole thigh fillet! (almost because that was all i gave him- i decided daddy could have 2, hamish could have 3/4 of one and mummy could have 1 and 1/4.... hamish would have eaten daddy's protion i'm sure!!)
« Last Edit: May 02, 2012, 22:01:38 pm by amayzie »
Katy, Mummy to Hamish!

Offline cecelia_at_home

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #151 on: May 03, 2012, 16:39:20 pm »
Saw the HV and she's referred us to a speech path for Js swallowing. Will see what she says. Had a small joy, he took two bites of biscuit and ate them! No spitting out or gagging!!!
I've been trying to give more purée consistency foods. I've done mashed potatoes, avacado, and yogurts. I'm going to get some apple sause tomorrow at the store. Does any one have purée like things that their LO likes? I need some more ideas.

dburseth

« Reply #152 on: May 03, 2012, 16:51:25 pm »
Keep us posted on what the speech path says, Cecelia.

I put some steamed spinich and a dab of cream cheese or plain yogurt in with mashed potatoes and C LOVES it. 

Offline Buttonbobs

• Showing Appreciation 124
  • E - born 20/10/11
« Reply #153 on: May 03, 2012, 20:24:44 pm »
Not sure if I should post this here, but it is sort of BLW related. I do a dreamfeed with my LO & she used to feed well - approx 180mls and then taking a similar amount in the morning at approx 7am. Recently she has been refusing milk in the morning, or drinking only about 50/60mls. I would be thinking that it might be time to drop the DF, but all the notes say to do this only if the baby is taking three established meals a day. Obviously at 6.5 months, she's not doing that yet so I wondered what others have done?
~ Naomi ~

Offline amayzie

• Pinterest Ninja
« Reply #154 on: May 04, 2012, 02:06:23 am »
Hi Buttonbobs- If i'm reading your question correctly you are asking about your LO choosing to have less milk? Are you doing baby led solids- as in offering whole foods rather than purees?

In relation to dropping the dream feed- we BF our little guy and dropped it at just after the 6 month growth spurt- so probably at about 6.5 months or so... No problems!
Katy, Mummy to Hamish!

Offline Buttonbobs

• E - born 20/10/11
« Reply #155 on: May 04, 2012, 06:23:22 am »
Hi Amayzie, yes I was asking that and yes we are doing BLW for solids. Thanks, I might start thinking about dropping the DF then. DD has def had her growth spurt and is taking less milk during the day. She's definitely swallowing solids from what I can see in her nappy, but I was worried about dropping milk too early. I guess she might take more during the day if we drop the DF. Thanks
~ Naomi ~

Offline Papaya

• Showing Appreciation 79
    • It's a dangerous thing, stepping out your front door...
« Reply #156 on: May 04, 2012, 06:47:52 am »
FWIW, we also dropped the DF before we were offering three solid meals, also around this age, no probs :)  She did feed for longer in the morning after that, so pretty sure her overall milk intake didn't drop.
*Nuala*

Offline amayzie

• Pinterest Ninja
« Reply #157 on: May 07, 2012, 13:12:29 pm »
Ok- if you want FUN FUN FUN- give your LO fettucini if you haven't already!! He was a little off colour so didn't eat it- but oh my god!! IT was the MOST FUN FOOD EVER!!! I'm not sure he trusted it... but i'm willing to give it another go!
Katy, Mummy to Hamish!

Offline Papaya

• Showing Appreciation 79
    • It's a dangerous thing, stepping out your front door...
« Reply #158 on: May 07, 2012, 14:18:57 pm »
Haha Katy, I can imagine that's like pad thai in our house! In fact, noodles in general rank VERY highly on Felicity's favourite food list. She goes nuts anytime we walk past a stand selling (cooked or uncooked, rice or egg, wide or narrow) noodles in the market. "Noo noo noo noo NOO!"
*Nuala*

Offline Whatbit

• Showing Appreciation 13
  • Triple Trouble
« Reply #159 on: May 07, 2012, 16:35:59 pm »
Neve had noodles th eother day.  She kinda freaked a bit when she touched them but they disappeared really fast!
~Stef~

Offline Buttonbobs

• E - born 20/10/11
« Reply #160 on: May 07, 2012, 18:31:08 pm »
E loves all things wormlike too. Tonight though she had some lasagne that I made for a party yesterday & she loved it - she was sucking the mince & sauce from the sheets of pasta - she made quite a noise and a good mess. Mess was made worse as we also tried yoghurt for the first time tonight. I figured in for a penny in for a pound as I was going to have to mop the floor anyway :-)
~ Naomi ~

Offline Whatbit

• Triple Trouble
« Reply #161 on: May 07, 2012, 20:41:05 pm »
LOL!
~Stef~

Offline amayzie

• Pinterest Ninja
« Reply #162 on: May 08, 2012, 04:50:02 am »
LOL!! We decided that yoghurt was a spoon food- I had a photo of it, but can't find it at the moment... on one of the threads! Very messy!
Katy, Mummy to Hamish!

Offline timmysmommy

• Showing Appreciation 11
« Reply #163 on: May 08, 2012, 14:19:01 pm »
So I've gotten myself in a bit of a pickle here.  I've been lazy and giving dd a good bit of purée lately, and now she is turning her nose up at solids. :(. Do you think I should go to all solids, and just bf when she doesn't eat anything?  She is quite content eating lots of purée, but won't eat the same foods in whole form- so it's not the taste that is bugging her.  Yesterday she got a bit of food in her mouth and seemed p***** that she had to chew it up.  She refused the rest and fussed until I gave her some purée,which she gobbled up.

Thoughts?

Offline Whatbit

• Triple Trouble
« Reply #164 on: May 08, 2012, 17:24:52 pm »
Not sure if you mean only BF her if she doesn't eat anything or if you mean an extra BF if she doens't eat anything... If you mean it the first way, don't do it, imo.  She needs the milk!!!  Not sure how many times/day she's doing but 4-5 iswhat she needs.  Can you just try to make the purees chunkier for now so she gets some texture?  Is she teething or tired at meal time?  Or maybe try BF and then waiting 30-60 minutes so she's hungrier when you give her the solids and more likely to try the finger food?  Neve when through a week where she cried at most meals and barely ate a thing (mostly at lunch) and I figured out she was super tired and not at all happy about solids.  It got better. 
Another idea that I used for Aiden is to make a mashed potato or sweet potatoa dn then mix in grated carrot, or zucchini or whatever, add egg yolk or whole egg and make patties I would then bake in the oven until firm so he could hold them but they practically fell apart when he ate them.  He really liked those around 7/8 months and they froze decently.  I added all kinds of stuff the more I mde them- cooked broccoli bits, otameal, ground flax, hamburger, peas, etc.  Eventually I stopped using the potato as the base and used meat instead and made little meat patties.
~Stef~