Author Topic: Baby Led Weaning Support Thread #11  (Read 87345 times)

Offline amayzie

• Pinterest Ninja
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 250
Re: Baby Led Weaning Support Thread #11
« Reply #210 on: June 08, 2012, 08:59:35 am »
On the WW topic- is there much to read in it after 12 months? I'd not really heard of it at the start so haven't got it.. is there much point trying to read it now- or just wait and get it with #2?

Oh- and BTW- Hamish had his 12 month check up the other day and is at the 75th% for weight- that's with waiting till 6 months to start solids and by the book BLW- no purees and letting him do it all himself. SO- try not to stress out- he was EXACTLY the same as some of you are describing at 6-8 months, not eating much AT ALL- it took him a good 2 weeks to get anything in his mouth at all!
Katy, Mummy to Hamish!

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #211 on: June 08, 2012, 10:17:08 am »
The wonder weeks book does go up past 1yo, possibly to 2 off the top of my head but I probably wouldn't buy the book at such a late stage as there will only be a couple topics that apply. If you're planning on buying it for no. 2 anyway though... You can get the main info about what to expect when off the website.

Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011

Offline amayzie

• Pinterest Ninja
« Reply #212 on: June 08, 2012, 10:34:37 am »
hmm.. i'll check it out! i figure if there are books etc that i've missed this time around i'll wait till i'm pregnant again to buy other things.. there's go to be something else to buy!!
Katy, Mummy to Hamish!

Offline Buttonbobs

• Showing Appreciation 124
  • E - born 20/10/11
« Reply #213 on: June 14, 2012, 17:14:15 pm »
I just received my wonder weeks book, thanks for the recommendations - what an interesting read!

just out of interest, how long does it generally take your LOs to eat a meal. Mine (nearly 8 months) is just starting to really eat quite a bit & it's taking her about 45 mins sometimes an hour if she's really enjoying it. I don't mind it taking a while but does it speed up a little eventually?
~ Naomi ~

Offline *Ali*

• Forum Moderator
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #214 on: June 14, 2012, 17:46:50 pm »
Colby often sits for an hour bit cadan is much quicker so it must speed up eventually.

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Showing Appreciation 496
« Reply #215 on: June 14, 2012, 21:42:00 pm »
Hi all

I haven't been on this thread in a while but thought I'd pop back in to let you all know that DS is now using a spoon and fork ON HIS OWN.
Not every meal and not always successful but he's been attempting to stab with the fork for a while and I have let him have a go on his own and then assisted (hand over hand) to avoid the inevitable frustration.  I've also increased loading for him when he looks like he wants to eat more from the fork than with his fingers - basically following his cues.  He is now 17 months and more frequently his stabs are successful and the food gets to his mouth.  It's lovely watching him.  He still eats the majority of his food with his hands but more and more wants to use the fork, he doesn't like his hands being messy (he does get them very messy whilst cramming food in his mouth but once the initial hunger has abated he realises his hands are messy and gets a bit fussy about it.  Mid meal hand washing is sometimes helpful).
With the spoon it is really just his morning muesli which I used to roll into balls for finger food.  I now make it thick but spoonable.  This way when he digs the spoon in some sticks and when he puts it towards his mouth and turns the spoon upside down it doesn't all fall off down his front.  I'll gradually make it sloppier as his skill improves.

I know some BLW sceptics think that LOs don't learn to use cutlery by being given finger food, so thought this update might be useful.  Use of cutlery doesn't happen on it's own of course, it's a skill that is taught and learned over time.
He also now prefers his food to be cut up smaller, rather than finger food it's become more fork-food sized.  He has his own knife set at the table and occasionally I help him cut something up hand over hand but not every item and not at every meal, just enough for him to have a go at it.  Sometimes I use hand over hand to help him spread his own pate on crackers too.

Buttonbobs my DS used to take 45 mins over a meal too.  It really eats into the A time doesn't it?  It does get quicker though.  Now he is finished eating before me and I extend his table time a little with fruit whilst I finish my meal but inevitably he still finishes before I do and after a short wait I let him down from the table to avoid frustration.  My plan is that as be gets a bit older and becomes verbal I'll keep him at the table longer, with conversation, so that it is a real family time together.

Offline Papaya

• Showing Appreciation 79
    • It's a dangerous thing, stepping out your front door...
« Reply #216 on: June 15, 2012, 03:01:33 am »
Lovely to hear an update Creations! I'm just popping in and out at this stage too :) We are in a very similar position - F has been using a spoon quite confidently for the past couple of months and can now eat quite runny things like custard or yoghurt with only a little mess around the mouth. But she wasn't interested in a fork until about 10 days ago, when she suddenly seemed to notice that I always had one, and therefore she should too. She ate three pancakes this morning entirely with her fork - I cut them up and she stabbed them :)They were a good texture for independent fork use - soft enough to stab and they don't fall apart!

Sometimes I use hand over hand to help him spread his own pate on crackers too.

Now this is impressive! Well done Creations LO!

Yes, our early meals were 45 mins - I quite liked it actually, as I found that age a bit difficult to think of interesting things to do during A time ;) Just eating was a chance to practice lots of skills and conversation!
*Nuala*

Offline amayzie

• Pinterest Ninja
« Reply #217 on: June 15, 2012, 05:08:19 am »
And with BLW the long meal times can be used for things like- well you eating- or i would do a little tidy up in the kitchen at times... supervising for choking of course....

FYI- I have started working with a dietitian 1 day a week (i work more... she is only with me one day)- so stay tuned for more dietetics tid bits...  Today's tip- We need at least 35ml per KG of body weight of fluid to stay hydrated. So if hamish is about 10 kg he needs about 350ml in a day- so about a cup and a half. For us that means that with the BF or 2, plus the fluid in the fruit he eats (fruit monster) and then the small amount of water he then wants he definitely gets enough. I just thought this was good to keep in mind- as hamish is not a big drinker so sometimes i worry- but that's not actually an overly large amount!
Katy, Mummy to Hamish!

Offline Papaya

• Showing Appreciation 79
    • It's a dangerous thing, stepping out your front door...
« Reply #218 on: June 15, 2012, 05:26:32 am »
Interesting Katy - do you know what temperature range that's assuming? I presume it's more in hot weather...?
*Nuala*

Offline amayzie

• Pinterest Ninja
« Reply #219 on: June 15, 2012, 05:49:11 am »
Yeah- she said that's the minimum- so i'd assume that if it was hot and she was sweating more that she;d need more. 
Katy, Mummy to Hamish!

Offline creations

« Reply #220 on: June 15, 2012, 07:04:11 am »
Nuala sounds like your LO is doing GREAT with cutlery - more proof that BLW doesn't hold them back at all (why would it?  But I know some people think it could.)  I like the idea of pancakes it does sound like just the right consistency for fork use.

Offline *Ali*

• Forum Moderator
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #221 on: June 15, 2012, 17:27:36 pm »
Pancake was the first food cadan ate with a fork at 14mo (silly mama hadn't even thought to offer him one before that) and he was good at it after a very short time. Fried agg was another favourite.

Colby is off his food right now as he's sick with a virus or teething.

Offline jennyg33

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #222 on: June 21, 2012, 17:50:00 pm »
Hi, been slowly reading through this thread for information before I start blw. DS2 is 5.5 months and has sat in his highchair for a while watching us eat. I occasionally put something in front of him to play with and today he picked up a piece of cucumber and put it in his mouth. He gave a good chomp, but then to my surprise swallowed it whole. Is this common? I'm really worried it's going to give him an upset stomach. I thought it would have made him choke before he swallowed, I feel terrible.
Jenny, mum to Andrew and Aaron

Offline creations

« Reply #223 on: June 21, 2012, 20:35:37 pm »
I wouldn't worry about it.  It's likely to come out whole the other end though, but many foods do in the early stages.  It might give him some gas too.  It was probably quite gummed up and slimy by the time he swallowed it, but even if not they have an amazing ability to regurgitate foods that have been swallowed too big.  My DS did this quite a few times (more when he was older though and decided to do as little chewing as possible) and would hack up the whole piece of whatever foodstuff it was without any gagging or choking taking place.
Taking an infant first aid course (if you haven't already) can help to reduce the worry because you know what to do in case of a choke - although I always think they are more likely to choke on a toy or other household item they manage to get their hands on rather than food.
Sounds like he's eager to get started :)

Offline jennyg33

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #224 on: June 21, 2012, 21:21:04 pm »
Thank you for the reassurance. Do u think I should wait til 6 months if he is going to swallow without chewing? Should I cut smaller or will that increase chance of choking. Even though I am well trained on first aid due to job it still worries me, although I have been reassured a little by reading through. What size is best to chop things. I've done battons so he can hold it
Jenny, mum to Andrew and Aaron