Author Topic: Baby Led Weaning Support Thread #11  (Read 87252 times)

Offline mumofalice

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 63
« Reply #285 on: September 10, 2012, 21:57:22 pm »
Thanks Amanda  :-*

I can't believe how little I remember - Mum-nesia is very cruel, isn't it?!  ;)

I was pretty sure that I just gave Alice pretty much what we were eating as long as it was in strips/chips - and I do remember cooking (steaming / roasting / lightly boiling) lots of veg which I froze and took out a couple a day . . . but it seems like a lifetime ago now.

I thought it would be easier this time as I've already BTDT but I haven't refreshed my (non-existent) memory because (a) I don't seem to have the time to do anything! and (b) I'm in denial that my 'baby' is old enough to start eating.

I did offer banana today - and DS sucked it right in! He ended up with a fair sized chunk in there but it came back out once it hit the gag reflex  :P Still he seemed to really enjoy it. Once I get my head round it again I think we're going to have lots of fun  ;D

Offline maggie2

Re: Baby Led Weaning Support Thread #11
« Reply #286 on: September 12, 2012, 19:58:18 pm »

We had a rather curious episode today. I offered grapes to DS for the first time. He pushed them around his tray while he scoffed down his avocado toast. I thought he was struggling to pick them up because he had smeared them in avocado so I picked up a piece and he took it from me & ate it, seemingly enjoying it.

Forward a couple of hours & he woke from his pm nap quite distressed & ended up vomiting up his lunch. He went from pale & lethargic to his perky self almost immediately the offending contents were ejected. I can only assume it was the grape as he has had avocado toast multiple times with no ill effect.

I've experienced something like that before but it's unlikely your lo has the same thing my dd does...  but just in case..  take note if it happens again / is worse next time you give the avocado toast (sounds like you have decided to avoid grapes for the time being...)  it happens with foods once they've been offered several times - not on the first trial.

It sounds an awful lot like a condition my dd has - it's pretty rare though so you probably don't have to worry (and even so it's a very manageable thing once you know the foods to avoid)).  It's called food protein intolerance enterocolitis syndrome (FPIES) - just keep it in the back of your head if it happens again!

Offline Buttonbobs

• Showing Appreciation 124
  • E - born 20/10/11
« Reply #287 on: October 01, 2012, 16:08:31 pm »
Hi all, I haven't been on here in a while but I have a question and I hope you can help reassure me or provide some advice. DD is 11 months old & has been BLWing since 6 months. She has always eaten a fair amount but a few weeks ago she had a sickness bug & since them hasn't been willing to eat much at all except cereals, marmite sandwiches, cheese, yoghurt & fromage frais, & pasta with cream cheese, although she lOves fruit & will eat loads of that too. She just seems to nOT be willing to eat as much as she used to or the variety of things. Should I worry?

She is still on 3 milk feeds a day & drinks about 7/8oz at each feed. She also drinks loads of water. I've started only offering her water once she's eaten most of her meal - but it doesn't seem too make any difference. Do you think I should cut down on milk yet?
~ Naomi ~

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Showing Appreciation 496
« Reply #288 on: October 01, 2012, 16:55:39 pm »
Guidance milk intake for a 1 yr old is 12-20oz per day so I wouldn't think that you need to reduce the milk as there is yet another month before she's 1 and she isn't taking a lot over that guidance anyway (although dairy solids counts too, I would look at how much cheese and fromage frais she is having on top of the milk - but honestly I don't think you have any need to worry at this stage).
wrt the illness and a reduced solid intake BTDT.  My DS was admitted to hospital for 4 days at 10 months and it had a huge impact on his eating for a long time.  He went right back to milk only, like a new born (including NB style night feeds) and even when he started taking a little solids it was really limited for longer than I would have expected.  Just be patient and keep offering what she will take alongside what she is less willing to try.  Try not to worry about it, easy for me to say having come through the other side I know.  My DS has returned to being an enthusiastic eater and will try most things.  Illness can effect them for much longer than we anticipate, don't let your concern show though xx

Offline Buttonbobs

• E - born 20/10/11
« Reply #289 on: October 01, 2012, 17:53:31 pm »
Thanks creations! I think I knew this but there's always that niggling worry isn't there. I'll just keep going as I am then :-)
~ Naomi ~

Offline ENMS

« Reply #290 on: October 21, 2012, 22:12:41 pm »
Hi everyone! :)

I'm new to BLW... my DS is 10.5 months old and has had lots of digestive issues, so we're just starting solids again now. He's refusing spoon feeding so I'm going the BLW route with him now. He's taking to it great (he has always refused in the past!) and is eating chicken, green beans and asparagus.  We're on a very limited diet because of his digestive issues.

So I was wondering... DS is constantly yawning when he's eating, and it's not because he's tired, kwim? As if the chewing motion makes him yawn, it looks like a total physiological thing. Did anyone else experience that? I should add that he had a severe posterior tongue tie that got fixed at 7 months only so he has not learned to use his tongue in a 'normal' way up until then.

Also, I saw some pieces of undigested food in his poop today, is that normal?

TIA :)
Elise

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Showing Appreciation 496
« Reply #291 on: October 22, 2012, 07:34:21 am »
Hey Elise.  Wow it is SO good to hear your boy is taking some solids :)

The undigested food in poop is totally normal.  It happens for quite a long time (in my experience) so I wouldn't worry.  Even after most of the food is digested and the poop looks pretty normal you'll still find the odd bit, esp things like fruit seeds (eg kiwi seeds that look like bits of black grit on his bum).
I don't know know about the yawning, sorry.  I know for sure my DS yawned quite a bit at solid meals but he was younger and he found eating really tiring - basically it took a lot of effort physically (controlling his hand movements to get the food in his mouth, and taking up to 45 mins for one meal) plus I also believe it is high stimulation (new experiences, new tastes, new skills) which is tiring.  I wonder if in your DS's case it might be something similar even though he is older and wouldn't usually be tired then??  Hope someone else has some experience to share.
xx

Offline ENMS

« Reply #292 on: October 22, 2012, 10:47:46 am »
Wow it is SO good to hear your boy is taking some solids

;D ;D ;D ;D

I wonder if in your DS's case it might be something similar even though he is older and wouldn't usually be tired then??

You're totally right, it is tiring... so maybe that's just it. A lot of effort for him, especially since he's starting out later than most. New stuff, new muscles working out, stimulation because he's holding and chewing different stuff. The thing that threw me off was that as soon as the meal is over, he's playing and all happy. So not looking tired anymore, not yawning anymore. But maybe 'in the moment' it does tire him out a lot.  Anyway, it's nothing to worry about I guess but I was curious! ;)
Elise

Offline Fiver

• Showing Appreciation 152
  • Anyone for omelette?
« Reply #293 on: October 22, 2012, 14:01:48 pm »
Could it be that he's not yawning but having a little silent gag where he's manipulating food that's gone a little too far back in his mouth back to the front?  And yes, the poo is normal, as creations said.  :)
*** Amanda ***

Offline ENMS

« Reply #294 on: October 22, 2012, 15:26:57 pm »
Could it be that he's not yawning but having a little silent gag where he's manipulating food that's gone a little too far back in his mouth back to the front?

It definitely could be... but it seems to be almost non-stop. Maybe he gets some food in the back of his mouth and is not able to bring it back so it keeps silently gagging him?
Elise

Offline Fiver

• Anyone for omelette?
« Reply #295 on: October 22, 2012, 15:51:01 pm »
Possibly, I guess, or something's getting stuck on the roof of his mouth and he's trying to dislodge it.  I presume he seems happy enough while he's doing it?
*** Amanda ***

Offline ENMS

« Reply #296 on: October 22, 2012, 15:55:11 pm »
Absolutely - he does not seem bothered at all. When he eats, he's very relaxed but very concentrated. ;)
Elise

Offline Fiver

• Anyone for omelette?
« Reply #297 on: October 22, 2012, 17:54:59 pm »
I would probably been inclined to keep an eye on it, but not worry for now.  He's probably getting used to the new textures and whatnot
*** Amanda ***

Offline Buttonbobs

• E - born 20/10/11
« Reply #298 on: October 23, 2012, 07:28:53 am »
Hi ladies, glad to hear things are progressing. My DD has been going through a fussy phase, which I understand is quite normal for 12 months, but in the last few days has begun chewing on foods she usually likes and spitting out any remnants rather than swallowing everything iyswim. It's not just the skins of fruit which is understandable, but things like the last bits of porridge in her mouth after swallowing some of each mouthful. Has anyone had this before? E has her two bottom teeth which came through in the last month & I think the top middle two are on their way, I don't know if that's likely to cause this.
~ Naomi ~

Offline Amanda5555

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 12
« Reply #299 on: November 09, 2012, 02:04:23 am »
Hi there popping in to hopefully get some ideas. I am not very creative when it comes to cooking and to be completly honest I kind of suck at it :P DH usually does most of the cooking (yay for him) B is just 9 months and MSPI and has reflux so I'm finding it a bit challenging to feed him. He's also very picky but getting a bit better now. He's seems to prefer what we are eating and really hates most of the purees out there besides the baby gourmet brand purees. He once almost ate my entire turkey dinner (the things I thought were safe for him to eat). I feel like he would eat anything I gave him off my fork. He is starting to tolerate touching his food now. Prior to that he would gag just touching things if they were slimy. He's a bit sensitive to say the least lol. If I hand him things he will take them and put them in his mouth now which is good. Sorry for blathering on lol. So I would love to be able to make a meal that we all could eat together so hopefully I can find some ideas here.