Author Topic: Baby Led Weaning Support Thread #11  (Read 87207 times)

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 496
Re: Baby Led Weaning Support Thread #11
« Reply #390 on: August 25, 2013, 23:43:29 pm »
Have you seen this?
Information on choking and gagging

Can you sign up to an infant first aid course in your area?  They can cover how to respond to a choke incident and although you are unlikely to have increased risk of choking by following BLW (as opposed to purees) it may increase your confidence.  For what it's worth the only near-choke incident we had was when I was whilst my LO ate chunks of kiwi and I licked the smallest slither off my own finger (about the size of a grain of rice) and it was me that started to choke. Very scary and I barely found enough breath to force some hard coughs out to clear my airway, it reminded me just how small a piece need be to make breathing more difficult (if not a full on choke), easily the size offered in pureed, mashed and lumpy foods.  My DS had a good number of coughing fits whilst trying to drink water but no chokes during eating solid food.

I would avoid all small round foods, cherry toms, grapes, blueberries etc until your LO is a bit older an you feel more confident, likewise I would avoid chopping things into circles which produce more of a choke hazard, so carrots cut into batons not circles, sausages cut lengthwise into a long finger, don't cut into rounds.  Offer large sticks of food (the size of your finger) for instance steamed green beans, asparagus, carrot batons, roasted sweet potato chips, baked apple wedges, large chunks of meat, toast 'soldiers'...although the point is to offer foods that are normal for your own family so that baby can join in with regular meals and learns to accept those flavours and textures more readily.  When a piece of food is large they can hold it in a fist and gum or chomp on the exposed end, they know when they take a bite where the food is in their mouth, there is no surprise of texture, taste or size like there might sometimes be with mashed foods.

One other experience I had which made me stop and think...a button fell off my LO's cardigan, I saw it by him on the floor and quickly took it away, I went almost cold with the thought of what might have happened, I was so glad he didn't put it in his mouth.  Contrast to a large plate by the side of him which I do not mind if he puts it in his mouth. I have no fear of him choking.  Larger pieces of food do not increase the risk of choking.
You must do what you feel comfortable with though as LO will pick up on any stresses you have and this could lead to a negative association with his food, also if you respond in an inappropriate way (for instance slapping on the back when he gags) this could actually cause a choke rather than avoid one.  Weaning and BLW is a wonderfully enjoyable experience. Ease yourself in xx

Offline Fiver

• Showing Appreciation 152
  • Anyone for omelette?
« Reply #391 on: August 26, 2013, 19:17:00 pm »
What creations has already said.  Most of what you might experience would be gagging, which isn't pleasant to watch, but it does mean your LO is learning how to move things around their mouth rather than having that reflex bypassed by a spoon which then means LO almost has to relearn how to eat when you introduce more lumpy/solid food.

Yes, choking is scary, but mercifully rare.  The only time we had a choking incident was when we were out and DD was eating a piece of sausage.  I wondered why she'd gone quiet, looked at her and could see immediately.  A swift bang on the back and it flew out.  If you're worried about choking, get on a first aid course to learn how to deal with it and then you're good to go and don't need to worry about it.
*** Amanda ***

Offline Buttonbobs

• Showing Appreciation 124
  • E - born 20/10/11
« Reply #392 on: August 26, 2013, 19:52:40 pm »
I know creations and fiver have really said it all, but I just wanted to add my support really. The gagging can be unpleasant, but I only had choking experiences with E when she was drinking too fast. With food it never really happened. I know this is anecdotal but my friends who weaned via purées seemed to have far more incidences of choking than me and my one other friend whose LOs were weaned with BLW. It may seem scarier but it worked for us. ((Hugs))
~ Naomi ~

Offline Violet's mom

• Showing Appreciation 26
« Reply #393 on: August 27, 2013, 01:39:35 am »
So I started today and V choked - I hit her on the back, it flew out and she threw up everywhere.  I don't think she is ready for it after all.  Well at least I am not...

**Tracy**

Offline creations

« Reply #394 on: August 27, 2013, 07:42:15 am »
Are you sure it wasn't a gag reflex?  From reading lots of BLW information and my own experiences plus knowing people IRL it seems extremely unusual to have a full on choke episode the first time you offer finger foods.  Weaning needs to be what you are comfortable with of course and if pureed food is your preference then you should go for that, it's worth noting that it is advised to give babies finger foods from 6 months alongside pureed foods, also that puree would normally move on pretty quickly to mashed, roughly mashed and lumps - the days of giving nothing but smooth puree for months and months on end is no more because weaning doesn't start now until baby is 6 months and the times when smooth puree went on for much longer was when weaning began much earlier (like 8 or 12 weeks old which is no longer recommended).  Finger foods help your baby's development for speech and language and also fine motor skills, so it's worth taking a first aid course and preparing yourself for what's to come. If you don't introduce finger foods you *may* find difficulty transitioning to lumps and family food later on.
Hugs, it must have been a very scary experience for you. I enjoyed our weaning journey so much, I hope you can find some of that enjoyment too.

Offline Violet's mom

« Reply #395 on: August 27, 2013, 13:44:08 pm »
Yes - I have CPR and AED training for my job so it was not the first time I've seen someone choke or had to respond - she has gagged several times on water - it definitely got lodged in there and she stopped breathing - very scary.  I was really hoping it would work because it sounds wonderful.  I'll check back in with you guys in a couple months when I think she is a little more ready - I thought being 7 months old she would've been...

**Tracy**

Offline Fiver

• Anyone for omelette?
« Reply #396 on: August 27, 2013, 20:05:59 pm »
Can I just ask what it was that she choked on and if she put it in her own mouth, or did she get some help?
*** Amanda ***

Offline Buttonbobs

• E - born 20/10/11
« Reply #397 on: August 27, 2013, 21:05:20 pm »
((Hugs)) hon, that must have been scary. I'm surprised she was able to bite off enough and pass it backwards in her mouth far enough on the first attempt to choke, really bad luck. What was it?
~ Naomi ~

Offline Violet's mom

« Reply #398 on: August 28, 2013, 13:04:26 pm »
I gave her half a banana and she was doing really good with it - just kinda sucking on it - but then must've "gummed" off too big a piece. 

**Tracy**

Offline Fiver

• Anyone for omelette?
« Reply #399 on: August 28, 2013, 18:58:28 pm »
Aww, bless her.  I bet she wouldn't do that again, though.
*** Amanda ***

Offline LovelyLilyandJack

• Showing Appreciation 44
  • Formerly lovelylily
« Reply #400 on: August 29, 2013, 13:19:24 pm »
Hello everyone!  Can I join you?  Just starting on blw with my son who will be 6 months next week. We tentatively started a week or so ago cos he was starting to grab food off our plates on top of all the other things to look out for (good hand eye coordination,  able to sit up etc).  He's already got the hang of biting bits off,  chewing and swallowing cos the last couple of days there's been bits of food in his nappy.  His favourites so far are baby corn,  carrots,  mango and apple (dried or raw). I can't wait til he's 6 months though and just give him bits of whatever we're having, within reason!  That's what I'm doing it for really - easy family meal times and to stop myself trying to persuade him to eat more than he wants!

Anyway, enough rambling from me. Looking forward to hearing how everyone else is getting on and getting ideas for things to try....

Offline creations

« Reply #401 on: August 29, 2013, 20:32:15 pm »
My LO also started a bit early, I just couldn't hold him off any longer, he was so furious any time I ate anything and it became silly the way I was making excuses to leave the room so I could run to the kitchen to get a mouthful of something without him knowing.  He had his first tastes at 5.5 months despite my determination to hold off until 6 months.
I hope you enjoy your LO's weaning journey as much as I did...and don't forget to get some videos!

Offline LovelyLilyandJack

• Showing Appreciation 44
  • Formerly lovelylily
« Reply #402 on: August 30, 2013, 09:25:23 am »
Yeah I was planning on waiting too but also happy to go with when he was ready and I could just suddenly see he was. Plus he just moved to 2 naps and his routine sort of aligned with mealtimes.  I know that isn't a sign but it just sort of made sense suddenly rather than having to force it iykwim?  I'm not sitting him up at every meal or anything - we're starting very slowly - but when he's 6 months in a few days I'll put a bit more thought and effort into it!

Good thought on the videos - will charge up the camcorder!

Offline Buttonbobs

• E - born 20/10/11
« Reply #403 on: August 30, 2013, 12:07:36 pm »
Hi LL :)

I hope your journey starts well. I agree that I wouldn't worry about waiting I go for it any longer. It sounds fab and meant to be if sleep is fitting in well around mealtimes now. Enjoy!
~ Naomi ~

Offline Vio

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #404 on: September 07, 2013, 16:31:21 pm »
Hi!
My LO will be 1 year old next week. He is very low in weight and size so I am worried he is not getting enough to eat. I have been doing BLW since he was 6 month old but always after breastfeeding so he ate very little solids. Actually he breastfeeds just twice a day: wake up feed and before bed.
The rest of the meals are solids. When I give him puréed foods he eats big quantities, but when I give him a bit more solid textures or finger foods he is getting the habit of spitting it out of his mouth. He eats a few bites when he puts it in his mouth himself, but eventually he spits it out as well and sashes the food with his hands, drops it on the floor.. Help!