Author Topic: Baby Led Weaning Support Thread #11  (Read 87189 times)

Offline TB9

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 60
« Reply #435 on: September 24, 2013, 15:19:23 pm »
I like the pate and sandwich ideas creations!  Yes, I think I need to get her trying different carbs, going to have to get creative...she is lactose intolerant though so I will have to experiment with non dairy things I can put on breads  :-\  I am going to make a big batch of hummus so that will be one thing I can let her try!

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Showing Appreciation 496
Re: Baby Led Weaning Support Thread #11
« Reply #436 on: September 24, 2013, 18:04:28 pm »
Sorry I was wrong, the recipe on the allergy board is for white bean cup cakes (which is great as a protein cake as it's basically just beans and eggs, sounds awful but super tasty, only problem is they have honey which under 1yo can't have. You could always try it with banana or prunes to sweeten instead though) - sorry.
OK the oaty chews recipe is on the recipes for babies 9 months plus here
Recipes for babies and toddlers aged nine months plus
the original recipe is for cookies and there is an external link at reply #16
but if you read on I made some myself, discovered they didn't work as cookies for us and made them more flap jack like instead which my DS LOVED and I made these a LOT with variations to the recipe. See replies #18 and 20. I eventually started to make them in mini muffin trays as they made perfect single servings but I would say the flapjack type square/rectangle is easier for young hands and little mouths, the mini muffin shape ends up quite thick and difficult to eat with a small mouth.  They are a nice tidy food for taking out and about too. You can also make them smoother by whizzing the oats or half the oats for a different texture. If your LO likes them then just experiment.
If you scroll down from there I give some pate recipes too which are good for protein.

Offline Violet's mom

• Showing Appreciation 26
« Reply #437 on: September 24, 2013, 18:10:06 pm »
Had to share - Couldn't help myself...  Only my LO would put the wrong side in her mouth haha.  At least she put SOMETHING in her mouth. 

**Tracy**

Offline creations

« Reply #438 on: September 24, 2013, 18:11:11 pm »
bean cupcake recipe here at reply #123 BUT a reminder not to use honey for under 1yo, sweeten with some fruit instead as an experiment.
Dairy, soy and/or gluten free recipes & menu plans
Tinkerbell this link might be useful for you too if you haven't already seen it and there's a chicken liver pate on the previous link I gave (baby recipes for 9 months plus thread). It's ever so simple, freezes well too. And the oaty chew recipe is a free from recipe if you want other carbs to try.

Offline Fiver

• Showing Appreciation 152
  • Anyone for omelette?
« Reply #439 on: September 24, 2013, 18:15:06 pm »
Porridge fingers (again) :) Re: 3hr A time and 4hrly BF schedule
*** Amanda ***

Offline TB9

• Showing Appreciation 60
« Reply #440 on: September 24, 2013, 19:33:25 pm »
Thanks Creations, I meant to check out the dairy free recipes just havent had a chance yet, I am glad you reminded me that they are there!  Oats are out for now too, she had very loose mucusy poops after eating oatmeal so I am going to give it a little bit longer and try again :(

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #441 on: September 24, 2013, 20:33:49 pm »
Thanks Amanda. I think it was your recipe for porridge fingers I nicked to begin with  :-*
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011

Offline Fiver

• Showing Appreciation 152
  • Anyone for omelette?
« Reply #442 on: September 24, 2013, 20:53:20 pm »
It was the BLW cookbook recipe that I keep quoting ;)
*** Amanda ***

Offline Miraclelim

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #443 on: September 25, 2013, 02:48:42 am »
Can the porridge finger be done in the oven instead? Also can I use instant baby cereal/oat? TIA

Offline Miraclelim

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #444 on: September 25, 2013, 02:51:13 am »
Sorry another question. BLW is very new to be still struggling to cope. My bb is 9 mth, do u just keep giving until she push it away? Not sure how much portion to give. Because I also need to give milk 1.5 hr after solid otherwise she won't eat any solid. Pls advice. Thank you

Offline creations

« Reply #445 on: September 25, 2013, 06:50:08 am »
So long as milk intake doesn't drop too low you can just keep offering solids until she is full, when she pushes food away or shows other signs of fullness.  For many it's when they stop picking the food up and eating it or begin to drop it onto the floor (which you can quickly prevent by taking the food from them and doing 'tidy up' onto a plate or bowl and encourage/ask her to help).
Milk intake - what you can expect between 6 months to 12months +
Dairy food used in cooking also counts towards the milk intake, so blocks of cheese or yoghurt, although if everything seems fine then you don't have to count everything accurately which is a bit tricky anyway.

Offline creations

« Reply #446 on: September 25, 2013, 06:52:48 am »
Oh and I never made those porridge fingers which are popular but I used baby cereal (muesli) with very little milk added to make it very thick then rolled balls of it to offer as finger food. This doesn't work with regular muesli only the baby one. I use the one for 10 months+ even before LO was 10 months as with BLW you don't go by ages .

Offline Miraclelim

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #447 on: September 25, 2013, 11:57:42 am »
My bb always chucks food on the floor but whrn I pick it up she will eat again. When she doesn't want it she will use her hand to push my hand away when I offer her food. But she often had a bite then chuck on the floor. How do I stop her chucking food on the floor?

Offline Miraclelim

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #448 on: September 25, 2013, 11:58:51 am »
Oh yah how do u give yoghurt BLW when she doesn't like it n won't take from a spoon??

Offline LovelyLilyandJack

• Showing Appreciation 44
  • Formerly lovelylily
« Reply #449 on: September 25, 2013, 18:24:28 pm »
I'm not sure you can stop them throwing food on the floor.... I've never managed it anyway! 

Will your lo feed himself with a spoon?  I load a spoon for jack and hold it in front of him.  If he wants it he grabs it and puts it in his mouth but if he doesn't he just ignores it and I put it away again. Not sure how you'd do it otherwise except maybe dip fruit in it for her?