Author Topic: Will not drink milk from sippy cup!!  (Read 1598 times)

Offline SabrinaD

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
Will not drink milk from sippy cup!!
« on: April 09, 2012, 19:28:09 pm »
DD will be 12 months next week and she will not drink her formula at all from her sippy cup !

I've been giving her juice or water in it since she was 6 months. we have tried sooo many different sippy cups, including ones with straws. She drinks out of them, but just a few sips here and there. I am getting ready to transition her to milk so i've been trying to give her afternoon bottles in the sippy cup. today she threw a huge fit until I put it in a bottle. she doesnt even hold her bottle herself, she will stop drinking if I put her hands near it.

Any advice on how to get her to drink milk from her sippy cups?
Right now she likes her bottle before her meals.

Offline Lolly

• Bottle Feeding, Discipline and Socialization
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 318
Re: Will not drink milk from sippy cup!!
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2012, 21:08:35 pm »
How much milk is she having now?

Honestly - I wouldn't worry about it too much, she won't drink out of the bottle forever and she is still little! As she is approaching 1 I would stick with a morning and bedtime bottle for now and offer daytime milk in a sippy to let her have practice with the knowledge that she is having 2 good drinks a day. Once she starts drinking from the cup and she will if you are consistent, then look at switching the other bottles over.

What do you think?

Laura

Offline SabrinaD

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
Re: Will not drink milk from sippy cup!!
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2012, 22:12:42 pm »
Thanks Laura! We have had issues in the past about her refusing bottles..we never could find out why. So the only way she would drink was if I just offered it whenever she would take it...she ended up taking bottles at 8am, 11am, 1230pm,330pm,and 8pm....they were all between 4-6ounces... So I would say she probably gets between 24-30oz.
the last couple of days I am trying to cut out the 11am bottle at least...but now that first nap has been dropped down from 1hr30 to an hour at the most.

I tried giving her 1230 bottle in a sippy..she refused it until I gave her the bottle. I gave her the cup with a straw and she was chugging it...she probably drank a good 3 ounces of just water. as soon as i put milk in it she threw it on the ground and ran away. how do i get her to drink the sippy with milk in it if she completely refuses it?

i tried holding her on the couch like we normally do with the bottle, giving it to her in her highchair, switching it out when she is drinking her water

Offline aisling

• Yoda
  • Administrator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 494
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2012, 22:58:12 pm »
Ds could drink out of sippy at 7 months old, hold a mug at 10 months and drink from it and use open cups at 1 yrs....BUT only water.  Milk in his world only came from a booby or a bottle.  I was fine with it as he could drink from other things, didn't walk around with a bottle hanging out his mouth and we brushed his teeth (had 16 teeth at 1 and all including 2nd yr molars at 2 yrs.) 

He weaned from BF at 19 months (his choice). He weaned his bottle (was only having one after supper) at 3.5 yrs. :o   He is/ was my baby, I saw no need to make him stop from his beloved bottle, he walked at 10.5 months, asked to go to a big boy bed at 26 months, was completely toilet trained (day and night) at 27 months (he initiated) so if that was his one connection to being a baby and wanting his "milkies in his bot-bot" god bless him. He has always been a child that knows what he wants and has fabulous self control, so he had a bottle until he was 3.5 yrs old, big deal.

His favourite drinks to this day are milk and water.  My 2 cents / pence.  :)