Author Topic: Cranky 7 month old during playtime  (Read 2916 times)

Offline jennfl

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« on: April 10, 2012, 16:05:33 pm »
Our son is about to be 7 months.  Lately in the past week or so he's been really cranky and fussy while playing wheras before he could be quite content alone, even for up to 1/2 an hour playing(of course with us keeping an eye on him).

He has just started crawling around everywhere, very proficiently.  He's even starting to pull himself up onto things.  We allow him to explore while we watch him. It has been though, that he'll crawl around, and then start grunting and making a foul face and starting to get very upset.  This goes on off and on throughout the day.

Could it be boredom?  Or just frustration with his in between stage of not being able to do everything his body wants to do and is trying to do? Like reaching objects, climbing, etc?

He's eating, sleeping, and napping well.  So I've ruled out hunger and tiredness. 

Thanks for any insights.

Offline RachelC

• Girl Scout Extraordinaire
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 865
Re: Cranky 7 month old during playtime
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2012, 02:18:12 am »
He may be bored and looking for something new to do/play.  How do you react when he grunts and groans?

Proud to have breastfed for a combined total of 35 months

Offline jennfl

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2012, 14:32:29 pm »
I will sometimes sing and act silly to distract him.  Sometimes I will let him be for a few minutes to work it out on his own.  Then sometimes I will pick him up and move him to a different activity.

On Tuesday he was really grumpy and we went outside and I let him splash around in his bathtub with some water in it.  It's very warm here in Florida.  He was grumpy on and off even while doing that.  Yesterday he was less grumpy, but would still get cranky while playing, rather than content like we were used to him being.

Any advice as to what I should do?

Offline RachelC

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2012, 16:13:29 pm »
Any teething going on?

Offline jennfl

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2012, 12:13:06 pm »
yes, just two are totally popped out on the bottom.  I don't feel any others.  Could it be separation anxiety?  He was a bit better yesterday.  I'm leaning toward boredom.

atlantamomofthree

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2012, 13:18:21 pm »
Oh, I am going to stalk this thread for advice because my ds is the EXACT same!! :o Started just before 7 months (sunday). I think it's boredom too but not sure how to remedy because I can't ALWAYS be entertaining him!

Offline jennfl

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2012, 23:18:30 pm »
You know, it's gotten better in the last two days.  Oddly, or maybe not so odd, since his crawling skills have improved.  He is now a speedy gonzalez and crawling around like a mad man, and with confidence!  I'm thinking he was frustrated that he couldn't do what he was trying to do ??? ???

atlantamomofthree

« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2012, 01:01:49 am »
Well, that's great! :) My ds hasn't shown any interest in moving around. He can sit unsupported and he rolls around his bed like crazy, but he doesn't scoot or try to crawl or anything. It's funny to think that he will someday because he seems so content to be in one place! :D

Offline RachelC

« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2012, 00:39:47 am »
Glad to hear he is happier moving faster!