Author Topic: 2.5 year old - don't want breakfast, don't like lunch, don't like dinner MANTRA  (Read 1861 times)

Offline LisaK1

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 2
Ok, I'm losing the plot.  My 2.5 year old is driving me crazy, so what would you do?

He eats well at nursery, feeds himself, finishes his meals etc 3 days a week.  Occasionally refuses to eat a meal there, I think the eating with peers helps.

At home, different matter.  He has always been a pain at home regards eating, occasionally we get a good period but it is very quickly followed by a sustained period of ultimate fussiness.  I've had enough and am wondering what is the best coping strategy to adopt?

1. accept he is a pain and continue with the cajoling, bribing and helping him feed by doing it for him because this way I know he has eaten something
2. adopt a different approach all together and what woudl that be?

I eat with him and always eat a small portion of what he is eating (he has dairy allergies so he can't simply eat what we eat, so I eat a token amount with him).

I'm lost and starting to really dread meal times again.....not healthy for the mind.....

Thanks
My boy is 4!

Offline We Three

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 418
  • The Sweetest Thing....
(((hugs)))  That must be really frustrating!!! I think it's important to keep in mind that if you are feeling stress with regard to mealtimes, then I'd bet your ds is too.   Kids that age, they have just 2 things they are in complete control of....what goes IN (food) and what comes OUT (potty)....so it's no wonder that these are the 2 biggest power struggles with los!!!

IMO I wouldn't bribe, force or cajole, as that is exhausting for both of you, adds to the stress and anxiety, and you run the risk of making it even more of a power struggle, kwim?  I would just keep offering and not talk much about it. I'd put 3 things on his plate, one thing you KNOW he'll eat, one thing he sometimes will eat, and a new thing.  As hard as it is to accept, he won't starve if he dictates his diet...just keep his choices as healthy as you can!

Look at what he eats in a week, not a day, and you might find that it isn't that bad!!  If his diet is very limited, try expanding it along similar lines....for instance if he likes toast, offer him french toast (you can put it into the toaster after cooking to give it a more similar crunch).  Also, presentation is key at that age...try cutting his snadwhiches into strips, or making them on crackers instead of bread....better yet give him the meat and cheese and crackers and let him construct his own lunch!! Dips are a great way to make food fun and more interesting too. 

Offline <Catherine>

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 149
Following along. My DS has become very picky over recent weeks (he's nearly 3) and I'm finding he's just snacking all day long rather than actually eating a proper meal at the moment. Even things I *know* he loves I'm struggling to get into him.

Like Anne says though, I am trying to look at what he's eaten overall rather than specific mealtimes or days.
Catherine x

Offline LisaK1

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 2
Thanks girls....so if he completely still refuses to eat anything, what then? He is SO strong willed....... :-(
My boy is 4!

Offline LisaK1

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 2
Ok, I'm staying strong on this food business....we've had some success and some outright failures these last few days.....fish pie for tea which he wolfs down at nursery but we haven't done at home for ages as he kept refusing it.....he's had a good breakfast and lunch out in the pram (olive bread ?!? Stolen from me!!!) then at home, roast ham, breadsticks, crisps, apple, sausage roll - all self selected from our table picnic that me and dh were having - it was great to see him partake.   We've had some full flat out refusals to even taste some meals that I know he has eaten at nursery, so empty tummy going to bed which I'm uncomfortable with......needto keep taking my brave pills!
My boy is 4!