Author Topic: I need help with myself and DS2's eating  (Read 6458 times)

Offline Mama2boys

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 247
I need help with myself and DS2's eating
« on: April 12, 2012, 02:43:52 am »
Ladies,

I know there have been a gazillion posts about children not eating and throwing food etc but I really think I needed to start my own as I am in so much pain due to DS2 and his eating or rather not eating.

So he literally eats 2 things or maybe 3 and he wont try anything will just fling it across the floor and it kills me it really makes me go mad and I dont know what to do and how to even make him try. It troubling in more than 1 way

1. His health and lack of variety of food, fruit and/or veggies
2. My own stress
3. The longivty of this 'phase' i hope to god this is a phase
4. effect on DS1 who is a great eater and will eat all veggies and other healthy stuff

Questions
1. How do I help him when he wont evne let me put something new on his plate and throws it across the table/floor

2. How do I cope with the stress this causes me, just him refusing and throwing things kills me everytime

thanks if you have got so far with my pity story :(
Mukta
9 and 6, oh boy!

Offline CCCmom27

• Showing Appreciation 27
Re: I need help with myself and DS2's eating
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2012, 01:50:43 am »
How old is ds2; I'm thinking 1 but can't tell for sure from your ticker?!?!

Offline rach321

• Showing Appreciation 29
  • My monkey boys.
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2012, 05:51:35 am »
Well I'm in no position to offer advice - I've got a 3 yr old that will only now tolerate veggies on his plate - he won't eat them but at least he doesn't fling them on the floor!
Are there any foods that he does eat well? Or is it a case of every mealtime he takes 2-3 bites and then he's done whether its new foods or not?
Have you tried picnic lunch on the floor? Platter of different foods, some he does like and some new ones. How old is ds2 can he get involved in the cooking? For example, my ds1 won't eat cooked mushrooms but will steal uncooked ones off the chopping board while I'm cooking!
If he's throwing food then just give him one thing at a time - less for you to pick up then!
Is there a chance he's picking up on your mealtime stress and that's affecting him? My ds1 isn't really in to sitting down for a meal as such he would rather graze all day. Could you have food on offer all day, just a plate of food that won't go bad left out so he can help himself when he feels like it.
With the trying food thing, you can't force that it will happen when it happens. Depending on age you can have a sniff it then lick it rule for new foods with no pressure to try then work up to taking a tiny bite.
Just a few ideas for you ;-)

Offline Mama2boys

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2012, 14:02:10 pm »
hi ladies DS2 just turned 2 last week.

SO we have tried everything picnics, platters etc especially as DS1 is a decent eater and eats steamed veggies regularly.

WIth DS2 its like I day he will eat 10 carrots - mini ones an dthe netx day wont even look at them. Till lats week he would eat a scarmbled egg this week its total refusal.

I dont think he is a grazer...just fussy and our pead said hold out till he is starvinga nd he will eta what you serve but that just feels wrong IMO...right?
9 and 6, oh boy!

Offline koe2moe

• Showing Appreciation 250
  • Battle on the chess board
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2012, 14:24:47 pm »
Mukta, i feel for u.  I dont really have advice, just want to brainstorm with you.  I, too, hate throwing foods.  Just cannot stand it.  I didnt let DS go hungry because it would bite me with three EWs or more if he went to bed hungry.

If you dont put those veg or whatever on his plate, would it be more peaceful for you?  You feel the pressure on doing the right thing by offering, right?  Would it make u feel guilty not to put something on his plate?  I think the first thing to do is to minimise your stress.  If we are stressed, nothing works!  The atmosphere and your stress can affect him, if not, it definitely affects you!

Or you can take the approach that you will not tolerate throwing foods, so once he throws food, remove from the table but you have to do it calming.  Just tell him that no throwing foods, you dont want the food, so you can be excused from the table and put him down with his toys.  If he is happy, it means he isnt hungry.  If he complains, then he might stop the behaviour if you are consistent but it will require a lot of patience from you and strength. 

I hope and suspect that once the tension and power struggle doesnt exist, he might ease off, i dont mean that he will eat those things he doesnt now but he wont react so much to things he doesnt want to eat,  he must be feeling pressure and it becomes a control issue. 

Maybe i am totally off.  Hmmm just hope it helps!!  Hugs

Offline Mama2boys

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2012, 15:01:14 pm »
Thanks Koe, i think you are right, its becoming a power struggle and thats causing throiwng. I just need to accept he is  afussy eater offer him options but ahve something he might want in my backpocket..my only worry is that then he will think everytime he refuses he gets what he wnats, mind you its not anything unhealthy or bad...like he will eat yogurt rice for every meal or wholewheat pasta with paremesan....

yesterday i tried adding some gravy from the shrimp curry and he refused so i had to end up giving him just plain rice and yogurt which he munched away, then instead of fruit after he ate some cucumber..so i guess something is ok.

When i just take him off the chair and let him go play if he doe snot wnat to eat he will not ask for food, he like DS1 and I are not the kind who get starving hunry IYKWIM and super stubborn so he will hold out and then like you said its NW, EW etc and we already struggle enough with sleep!

so maybe accepting his limited variety of food is my way to peace
9 and 6, oh boy!

Offline koe2moe

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2012, 15:08:46 pm »
Yeah it is frustrating and perhaps even disrespectful for him to feel pressured to eat as i had that experience from my own family.   I could accept that i was expected to eat certain foods because they were good for me but i couldnt accept if they gave me food and told me it wasnt what i thought it was.  Not the same situation but just to show that meal time would be better kept harmonious, and it will avoid lot more problems later on.

Perhaps try an extra side plate for the to try food with only one small piece?  Put slightly away from him and said, i respect that you want your yoghurt rice, but this is something maybe you might like also, if you like, you may have it.  Just leave it at that every meal to try new things. 

I just realise how important it is to keep the cool, then everything else will be in perspective and we will feel more in control!  Hugssss!  Try for a few days and we will see how you feel.  Hugs

Offline Mama2boys

« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2012, 15:15:13 pm »
Thanks Koe i will report back in  afew days..

btw he eats better (not variety just less throwing) when the nanny is doing meals, something that even DS1 did when he was younger...wonder if its his way at making me pay ;) getting attention etc.
9 and 6, oh boy!

Offline Shiv52

• The Diplomat
  • Global Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 585
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2012, 15:30:20 pm »
{{{hugs Mukta}}}}
I just need to accept he is  afussy eater offer him options but ahve something he might want in my backpocket..my only worry is that then he will think everytime he refuses he gets what he wnats,
To be totally honest I would have nothing in my back pocket.  Nothing.  When I have worked with children with fussy eating or picky eating issues the biggest problem has been that parents try to provide a specific meal or encourage them to try different things then when the children have a fit they produce something they like.  And all it teaches is them to hold out for something they like.   

From day dot I dont cater to favourites.  i always make sure at every meal there at least 2 things either of mine will eat on the plate.  At 2YO our rule was 'eat or don't eat'.  No pressure.  Just 'this is dinner/breakfast/lunch' and if they didn't eat that was totally fine.   And thats where we are with DD2 (18 months) now.  I just make whatever we're having.  Some days she eats great, others not. 

What you have to realise is your DS2 will not starve.  You have to try and not put so much pressure on yourself.  Its like teaching anything...we provide the foundations and the right atmosphere and the consistency and then we have to trust things will come right. 

If I were you I would probably take the pressure right off.  For the next week only offer him the things he will eat.  No pressure to eat.  DOn't even mention it.  Just provide the meal and leave him to it.  No talking about whether he ate or didn't.  On the table put out other things he can ask for if he'd like to try them but no pressure.  Then after a week start expanding out his meals, so provide his meal with something on the side and the only expectation is he just has to leave it there.  He doesn't have to eat it or even touch it, just leave it there.  And build up from there.

Am holding your hand  and had more to write but realised we are late for footie!!  PM MAshi and ask her to come take a look.  She has some great ideas on this xx

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 130
  • Just the wheat allergy to go now!
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2012, 16:07:29 pm »
Following along as Olly is similar.

What foods does your DS eat? I have heard of food chaining which I think is along the lines of offering similar foods to ones he does like, or made of it. Not sure, not read up on it yet. Worth a look?

Your DS's meal of plain rice and yoghurt sounds like one thing I would offer Olly! I have given up offering a variety of foods as he is so stubborn he won't try them and causes stress for all.

I have also heard of other the foods he likes and then add 1 new food on the plate - don't make a big deal of it.

Making it into a stressful situation helps no one.  :-*

I am not sure about having nothing in your back pocket. If Olly went away hungry we would have the most horrendous tantrums. Shiv, do you have any advice here?

Offline CCCmom27

« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2012, 17:28:29 pm »
My ds1 is still somewhat like this but getting better (knock on wood) and he's 4.  He didn't throw food thought, just wouldn't eat it or even fancy the idea of trying it!  Dinner has always been our biggest issue.  Breakfast he's always liked and lunch I pretty much give him a few choices and he'll pick what he wants me to make him.  What we've always done is have at least one thing for dinner he will eat.  Some nights he won't eat anything!  I've also always tried to do every other night with things I know he'll eat (burritos, pasta, chilli, pot roast) and then meals (pretty much anything else at one point) he's not crazy about but still one things he normally eats. 

I too feel having something in your back pocket will just teach him to hold out till you give him something else.  We never did that and didn't have NWs.  Maybe be sure he has a lunch he likes if dinner you know he'll most likely only eat that 1 thing.   DS1 also eats what I think are crazy small portions for dinner to this day unless it's something he really likes.  I give small portions and let him know he can have more....

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Forum Moderator
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2012, 17:31:16 pm »
The 'back pocket' thing - is that assuming that you are offering mainly foods that they will eat? What if it is day when their teeth are hurting and they won't eat their faves? They go hungry?

Offline CCCmom27

« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2012, 18:35:51 pm »
I always offer one thing I know he likes.  If he was teething or unwell is some way I would make a whole dinner I knew he would eat.  So we were all eating the same thing, but it was something he would eat.  I'm sure I made exceptions at some point but on a regular basis we all ate the same dinner.  Dinner is really the only meal I don't offer choices of what to eat.  There were/are sometimes when ds1 has asked for a peanut butter sandwich for lunch and then decides he doesn't want that once I've made it.  I put it in a baggie and tell him if he gets hungry later he can eat it.  Sometimes he does but often I end up eating it as a late night snack :)

IMO it's better to have to eat burritos twice a week so he'll eat dinner rather than offering him something I know he won't eat and then giving him something else anyway. 

I remember when I was pregnant with ds1 a woman I worked with was talking about making 2 different dinners.  And she said you wait till that baby grows up!  I said I won't be making different meals and I've stuck to it!

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Forum Moderator
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2012, 18:56:32 pm »
Cool, thanks for your reply  :)

I often make 2 meals due to ollys allergies. If he ate more variety I would love to be making us stews or pies etc as a family. He would point blank refuse them though. I have more success experimenting with finger foods, he will at least play/touch them.

Offline CCCmom27

« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2012, 21:39:38 pm »
Allergies would make it more difficult.  If you make meals for you that were ok with his allergies maybe you could start giving him some as a side for him?  Then slowly give him less of 'his food' and more of yours.  That would expose him to your food while not having you worry about him being hungry.

Persistance pays off... ds2 (1 yr) has never liked eggs since I first gave them to him around 7 months or so.  I normally eat scrambled eggs for breakfast each morning and would always lay a piece in front of him to which he would almost immediately throw it on the floor.  This morning a gave him a tiny bite off my fork and he ate it!  Then I gave him a few more bites like that and then put some in front of him and he ate it just fine.  We'll see what he does tomorrow!

Offline Shiv52

• The Diplomat
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2012, 09:03:03 am »
How are things Mukta? 

If Olly went away hungry we would have the most horrendous tantrums. Shiv, do you have any advice here?
TBH I would start talking about how he is grumpy and tired because he hasn't eaten and help him start to make the association in his mind and body.  You can't make LOs eat.   So when you say if he went away hungry?  What do you mean?  Do you mean you keep offering different things at a meal until you find something he is willing to eat?
The 'back pocket' thing - is that assuming that you are offering mainly foods that they will eat? What if it is day when their teeth are hurting and they won't eat their faves? They go hungry?

I offer meals with at least 2 things i know they are sure to eat and so I wouldn't then produce a different meal.  I find if teeth are sore R doesn't eat much of anything anyways but I still don't produce 'favourites' to make sure she eats.  Its just not in my mentality to be cajoling kids to eat.  When eating is poor with teeth or whatever I do offer porridge before bed and that is generally gobbled up but to me that is completely different to 'oh here is chicken pie and spuds and carrots for dinner' ....'oh you dont' want that...well here is yogurt and fruit.....oh no not want that either ok lets get porridge.  Honestly the biggest issue i have found with picky eaters is when they work out they can hold out for favourites. It actually makes them limit more in my experience.    Not saying thats what you are doing but in my mind it is really healthy to have the mindset that we eat meals as a family, this is your meal (obviously with things they will eat too), eat it or don't, no big deal and definately no pressure about it but absolutely no scuttling round making alternatives. 

When M was 3/3.5 we introduced a one bite rule where she has try everything on her plate and that has worked really well but I wouldn't have done it any younger than that.

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Forum Moderator
« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2012, 10:46:36 am »
Thanks xx my problem is he is just so limited and then on top of that fussy! His meals consist of pasta, rice or toast and then a plain meat and a veg. that is it really. I am not sure how to mix that up! I worry so much already about his diet (ie lack of calcium from no dairy) that am reluctant to take one of those food stuffs away to replace with something new.

So sorry Mukta, take over with my problems! Hope you are doing ok xxx

Offline Jimbob

• Showing Appreciation 59
« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2012, 19:05:19 pm »
Is Olly on a dairy free formula like neocate? If not does Olly have a milk alternative with added calcium. James no longer has neocate but we use coconut milk with added calcium in his cereal. The dietician we see at the hospital as put James on a calcium supplement though as he will not drink any of the milk alternatives we have tried anymore. With the list of foods you give if Olly is not also having one of the above it might be worth asking if he needs a calcium supplement.

Kelly x

James has atopic eczema, multiple food allergies, asthma and late talker

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Forum Moderator
« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2012, 19:14:42 pm »
Hi Kelly, he has oat milk with added calcium x

Offline Shiv52

• The Diplomat
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2012, 19:17:52 pm »
{{{hugs hun}}}

You know honestly hun I wouldn't worry too much about the pickiness.  I think so long as LOs don't get into the pattern of refusing food and mum running to make something new then it doesn't matter if they eat a limited diet.  I would concentrate on providing meals and not making alternatives and then work on getting him to accept a new food just sitting on his plate and slowly move from there.  

Is he having many snacks? i think at this age I had to stop the pm snack otherwise M wouldn't eat dinner at all.

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Forum Moderator
« Reply #20 on: April 24, 2012, 19:46:43 pm »
Thanks shiv, I have taken advice on board and have offered things I wouldn't normally but alongside his normal meal (lunch, baked beans. dinner stew) he didn't touch either but I feel like I have made the effort! They were only from my plate so no effort.

Offline Shiv52

• The Diplomat
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: April 24, 2012, 20:24:51 pm »
I think that is a great start.  In fact i often find R will eat things if they are on my plate but wouldn't entertain them if they were on her own.  DH joked the other day I should sit with her lunch and I'd have a better chance of her eating it. 

I think with R as she is number 2 I just don;t have time to be worrying whereas with M i'd have known every morsel that went into her mouth.  I am just thinking R didn't actually eat her soup at lunch and she ate about 2 bits of chicken chow mein at dinner but what can you do?!

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Forum Moderator
« Reply #22 on: April 24, 2012, 20:53:50 pm »
Thanks - I wish I could offer food from my plate but most of the time I can't. And if I can it is the same dinner that he is having anyway.

Offline Shiv52

• The Diplomat
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: April 24, 2012, 21:01:15 pm »
ITs tough with allergies hun.  I think you do a great job so don't beat yourself up. All we can do is offer a variety of healthy foods and let them eat what they will xx

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Forum Moderator
« Reply #24 on: April 24, 2012, 21:06:50 pm »
I offered him salmon fillet, french fries and broccoli for tea (with stew on the side) he only ate the chips  ::) and one bite of broccoli  :P. Big bowl of soy yoghurt and pineapple chunks for pud though. Too young to have the no pudding rule surely!

Offline Mama2boys

« Reply #25 on: April 24, 2012, 23:37:07 pm »
Hi ladies,

sorry I have been traveling for work so not there to see how eating is going and when I am tarveling I menu their food to things I knwo they will enjoy.

I am traveling netx week agains o mid may onwards I will start working on the etaing.

So when you guys say put 2 things you know they eat, can I have an example? Like if I have cooked a pasta bake for the main would you consider 2 type sof veggies on the side he likes as ok and then if he eats only the veggies without touching the pasta its ok? and you would give him as much of the veggie he wants?
9 and 6, oh boy!

Offline CCCmom27

« Reply #26 on: April 25, 2012, 01:34:19 am »
You know honestly hun I wouldn't worry too much about the pickiness.  I think so long as LOs don't get into the pattern of refusing food and mum running to make something new then it doesn't matter if they eat a limited diet.  I would concentrate on providing meals and not making alternatives and then work on getting him to accept a new food just sitting on his plate and slowly move from there.

^^^Totally agree!!

I only did 1 thing I knew he liked and most of the time it was the veggies because he doesn't like meat very much.  Others might disagree but it worked for us.  Still doesn't like meat all that much but eats some so I'm okay with it.

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Forum Moderator
« Reply #27 on: April 25, 2012, 05:53:04 am »
Mukta, I would think it depends on what he eats at other meals? If he had had a great lunch then just veges at dinner should be ok. Though I would prob have a protein on the dish too that he likes.

At around the age of 2 we started saying to olly if you eat these peas you can have more chicken etc and that works. Only with foods that were on offer anyway. As I understand it, it is a step forward if they even just touch a new food, I have heard of where kids are encouraged to kiss or lick foods as a step toward eating it.

Offline Shiv52

• The Diplomat
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #28 on: April 25, 2012, 07:30:59 am »
Like if I have cooked a pasta bake for the main would you consider 2 type sof veggies on the side he likes as ok and then if he eats only the veggies without touching the pasta its ok? and you would give him as much of the veggie he wants?

So if i am doing spag bol I would do a veg on the side and garlic bread so that to me is five things....the pasta, the sauce, the meatballs, the veg, the garlic bread.  So both mine will readily eat the pasta and the meatballs.  There is no more of those until they try the others.  SO with your veggies, I would give a normal sized portion and if he requests more I'd say to try the pasta bake first and then you'll get him some more.

At that age though mine ate better depending on how it was served (wee monsters) so with spag bol, M ate it ALL if I put the sauce on the side in a bowl rather than dumped on top like I did with ours.   She liked to be able to see all the components of what she was eating IYKWIM?!

and when I am tarveling I menu their food to things I knwo they will enjoy.
It must be hard with workign but I think when you start to change things up I would make the new eating rules ALL the time KWIM?  So they are the same with you, daddy, nanny whatever so that he realises this is just how meals are as opposed to this is how meals are when mummy is here as i could see that potentially causing issues! 

Offline *Becky*

• Showing Appreciation 255
« Reply #29 on: April 25, 2012, 09:11:11 am »
Hugs Mukta. Such good ideas on this thread...I think our children sound quite alike. I forget - are there sensory issues here? Right from when he was weaned H has been fussy with food, did not like certain textures, gagged a lot etc. M does none of it and will (atm) essentially eat anything and it is a joy but it has also made me realise it is not my fault that H is the way he is. I know how easy it is to blame yourself and how comments can be hard to take to. My mum always comments on H's eating and it drives me crazy!

Henry James and Martha Rose - my spirited pair!

Offline Mama2boys

« Reply #30 on: April 26, 2012, 17:07:32 pm »
Hi Becky,

no sensory issues at leats none that are obvious to me.
  :-*
He is pretty random about what he likes top eat. for weeks he had been refusing blue berries whcih he used to love and last night DH told me he ate a whole bowl full!

See if I have a plain pasta, bread or rice i.e.e any carb on the plate thats all he will eat. He sometimes humours me by puttng like an atom of the other food in his mouth an dthen looking at me and syaing yucky! but i guess its a start?

btw can I just say despite all of this I love him to bits!
9 and 6, oh boy!

Offline koe2moe

« Reply #31 on: April 26, 2012, 17:15:04 pm »
hahaha your boy is just too smart!  it just shows more clearly that he is having issues with control.  try and relax, afterall, he will choose what he will eat when he is 18?  i am thinking that and trying to relax.  hope your business trip be a success! xx

Offline Mama2boys

« Reply #32 on: April 26, 2012, 17:21:46 pm »
Thanks Koe and he is a smarty and stubborn too! Wonder who he takes after ;) :P
9 and 6, oh boy!