Author Topic: How many night wakings at 14 weeks?  (Read 972 times)

Offline jennem

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: April 12, 2012, 17:16:12 pm »
My LO has frequent night wakings, and I'm ready to put an end to feeding him at all of them. He feeds at 6:30, goes down at 7, and will wake at around 7:45, 11, 2, 4, and then up again at 6:30.

So that's 4 times he is up before his 6:30 wakeup. How do I figure out which wakings to shh/pat him through, and which ones to feed him for? The 7:45 feed seems to be a cluster instinct for him, it has by far the longest and most dramatic wakeup if I don't feed him. Would it make sense to feed him then, again at 11, and then make him wait until 4?

Offline jennandsophie

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 24
Re: How many night wakings at 14 weeks?
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2012, 17:31:38 pm »
The 7:45 waking is kind of unusual because that's only 45 mins after he falls asleep.  Do you think perhaps he's going to bed a bit overtired? 

I would start by dropping that 1/2am feed if he's had a good feed during the dreamfeed and eaten well during the day feeds.
Jennifer - mom to Sophie and Jonas

Offline Bex09

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 69
  • My world xx
Re: How many night wakings at 14 weeks?
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2012, 19:53:29 pm »
Hi there, you are right that your DS doesn't need to be fed at all of those NWs. So I agree with PP that the first NW could be from OT or as you say habitual. Is your DS BF or FF and what is his EASY like? If you post it in EAS format then we can take a look and see if anything needs tweaking there. Has your DS always woken at these times or is it a recent thing?

I think that expecting DS to go from 11pm until 4am may be a bit of a long stretch ATM based on how frequently he is used to being fed. Expecting him to go at least as long as he is fed in the day though is totally fine. But lets see your EASY and we can go from there.