Author Topic: Suggested food and nap routines don't line up - help!  (Read 5147 times)

Offline jrmax

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
Re: Suggested food and nap routines don't line up - help!
« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2012, 00:26:13 am »
Hi gals,

Ali, yes, we've been experimenting with BLW. You're right - he does seem to prefer his veggies in 'whole' form, for the most part. However, just yesterday and today he took sweet potato puree, and even pea puree! I've discovered he quite likes cucumber, munching away on the soft seeds.

I always start with whole food - cut up pears, veggies etc., - which actually gives me time to prepare other/more food for my older son, then once I sit down to eat/join the table, I'll try a few spoons of puree.

Creations, I tried whole squash the other day. The first round he dug right in... however 'left-overs' at the second meal didn't go quite as well, and he's turned up his nose at it the next offering too. Ah well. I'll try that again another time. Asparagus is a GREAT option! As are green and yellow beans. They don't 'break' quite the way other veggies like carrots do when steamed so he can gnaw away at them.

I have tried mixing some pear with veggies, and that has worked sometimes, but I think the key is also to space out his solids. Giving him solids an hour after BF didn't allow him to work up enough of an appetite, so he could 'refuse' most foods quite happily. When he's hungry, he certainly is more open to trying whatever I've got for him.  :)

I really like the idea of BLW, and I'm exploring with it and seeing the benefits of different textures for my little guy, knowing he really likes to 'be in charge'... lol. When I'm a little pushed for time, or I'm out, I'm glad he'll take some pureed foods though. It's a good balance for me at the moment.

We've managed quite well down to 2 naps a day now! Yesterday was a 3 nap day, but we haven't done that in quite a while, but he's teething at the moment and we had an EW. I'm working with Tracey's 'observation' routine on page 38 and found this works well for us.

Thanks for the encouragement ladies... his naps are extending beautifully too now. Creations, you'll be thrilled to hear that he goes at LEAST an hour and 15 now, but more often sleeps for an hour and a half, and sometimes I'll even get an hour and 45 min!! YEEHAW! Far cry from 4 months ago!! I'm so relieved!

I just keep speaking my new mantra: Every day gets easier and easier...  :)

Chat soon! xx

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Forum Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2012, 10:07:08 am »
That sounds like it is all going well. :) glad to hear it.
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Showing Appreciation 496
« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2012, 12:00:53 pm »
glad to hear it.
me too.  Good work mummy :)

Offline jrmax

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2012, 13:37:15 pm »
Thanks awesome Mamas!! Onward and upward! ;-) 

With much appreciation! xxx

Offline AGILL

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2012, 08:32:56 am »
Hello,
I know that this thread hasn't been active for a few weeks, but I thought it silly to start a new topic. DS was 6mo yesterday and we're on week 1 of solids introduction, but we're going very slowly. We have also dropped the catnap for two nice long 2 hr naps (YAY!)
So my question: DS has a bottle feed at approx. 7am, 11am, 3pm and 7pm. But now that he's dropped the catnap, the 3pm bottle should get pushed forward to when he wakes at 4pm. That would be fine, but there's been a few days here and there when he's either woken early from hunger from his pm nap, or he's actually hungry again before his pm nap. This happened the other day, and I gave him a quick 60ml just to tide him over, but it was a spur of the moment band-aid solution.
I'm sure things will be fine once he's worked up to eating a decent quantity of solids at lunchtime, but I'm not expecting him to do that for at least another couple of months. If I split bottle n° 3 to half before his nap and half after the nap, would this be a bad thing to do? To me it seems that we'd be going backwards a bit, because it's 5 milk feeds a day instead of 4, and it'd also mean that bottles n° 3 and 4 are more "snacks" than meals, which I also think might not be good. I also can't increase the milk in individual bottles because he's a refluxer and it's not good to overstuff them.
Any words of wisdom? Many thanks!!

Offline creations

« Reply #20 on: May 15, 2012, 10:57:27 am »
I think a lot of people find similar when naps change or when solids are introduced.  There's no harm in splitting those bottles whilst LO settles into the new routine.  FWIW when I intr4oduced solids DS went from 4 milk feeds plus a DF to about 7 per day.  He absolutely had to have another milk feed after every solids meal even though he'd had his milk at his regular time and was also drinking water with the solids meals.  It does settle down though.  Don't worry.

With regards to not increasing the milk in each bottle though, I would let him have as much as he wants at each milk feed which means offering enough for him to leave a little in the bottle (but not forcing or encouraging him to finish bottles).
hth

Offline AGILL

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #21 on: May 15, 2012, 11:56:51 am »
Thanks Creations. Okay, I'll go ahead and split that bottle for the time being until we settle into our changes. He's just doing so well as is, so change always makes me nervous that everything's going to fly out the window! Silly, I know...

Offline jrmax

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #22 on: May 15, 2012, 13:15:43 pm »
Glad this thread has been helpful to others too! Good luck AGILL! :-)

Offline creations

« Reply #23 on: May 16, 2012, 06:29:40 am »
change always makes me nervous that everything's going to fly out the window!
You're not alone.  I think most of us are the same.  Every time I want or need to make a change I get nervous about everything going to pot too but usually the process of thinking it through before hand (posting a thread generates thoughts and unconscious if not conscious planning) gets things reasonably straight in my head before I try the change and most times the changes go surprisingly smoothly.

Offline AGILL

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #24 on: May 16, 2012, 08:37:21 am »
I know what you mean. I walk around thinking about the possible consequences of changes that could/should be made and I drive myself absolutely bonkers! I'm not exactly a "go with the flow" type, so sometimes it's really difficult to see things clearly and from outside the box. I am sooo glad and thankful that my sister gave me BWSAYP five years ago after the birth of DS1 and that I found the forums shortly afterwards. And I'd still be lost without them with DS2, who is so different from his big brother. We live in France and their way of raising babies just doesn't sit well with me in general. Thanks to everyone for sharing your wisdom and feedback! Alison xx