Author Topic: 15 mo suddenly refusing all milk except BF - please help!  (Read 1523 times)

Offline shresmummy

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 5
15 mo suddenly refusing all milk except BF - please help!
« on: April 15, 2012, 13:00:36 pm »
Hi, my DS is 15.5 months old and since about 10 months he has been on bottles of formula during the day and only BF if he wakes during the nights. Since he turned 12 months he has been on cows milk. All our transitions from BF to bottles of formula and then from formula to cows milk at 12 months have been smooth and there have been no real problems.

Our EASY is a bit hard to predict at the moment because he is in the middle of the 2-1 so napwise it's hard for me to tell you what's happening. But in terms of our feeds here is what happens most days.

wake - 6:30AM
breakfast - 7am (cereal/porridge with 70 ml milk)
morning tea - 9:30Am
lunch - around 11-11:30am + cheese
milk - bottle around 1:30/2 (on 1 nap days it's after nap, on 2 nap days before nap) (100 ml)
dinner - 4:30/5pm + yoghurt
milk - before bed bottle (100-120 ml)
Night feeds - still wakes around anywhere between 11- 2am for feed (but he doesn't feed too much), and then again around 5-6am where he used to take a bottle (100 ml)

I used to only really do BF at that 11-2am feed up until last week. I know he is teething big time at the moment with lower molars and possibly canines too. But now I seem to have got into a bad cycle. He refused the bottle at all feeds for 2 days so then i freaked out and offered him the boob and now he is basically having BFs at all the spots where he used to take a bottle and he absolutely balks at the idea of the bottle anymore. So in essence he is no longer taking cows milk in a bottle, I have tried different sippy cups and he takes one sip and then pushes the cup away (absolutely refuses) and he seems fine actually if he doesn't have any milk at that point. He does take cheese and yoghurt but no milk!!

It is stressing me out and I think it started out teething related but now I'm not sure what the problem is. Whether it's still teething or now he just wants teh boob? His teeth haven't cut through yet. Can someone please help me, I am worried he is not getting enough milk.

Here I was planning to finally wean him off BF at 16 months but we seem to have gone totally backwards! what should I do tomorrow?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Offline shresmummy

• Showing Appreciation 5
Re: 15 mo suddenly refusing all milk except BF - please help!
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2012, 13:49:44 pm »
Hi ladies just wondering, has anyone had a chance to see this? Any help would be much appreciated! Thanks again!

Offline Chicane

• Showing Appreciation 103
Re: 15 mo suddenly refusing all milk except BF - please help!
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2012, 19:45:01 pm »
Hi Shresmummy - sorry you didn't get a reply to your first post. I'll preface this by saying that I am not an expert and perhaps you should call or make an appointment with you pead to double check...but my gut feeling is to not worry about it too much. Would prefer to stop BFing or that LO is not getting enough milk? If you would like to stop BFing then I can send you some info on how to gently wean. We went through a similar concerns about not getting enough milk and the advice I was given was to make up for it in other areas - such as cooking with milk (in porridge) and making sure LO got lots of the good fats from other sources such as avocado, dark chicken meat (such as thighs and legs) full fat yoghurts, dark leafy greens (always hidden in bolognese sauce or chicken patties or lentil stew) Hard cheeses contain more calcium then soft cheeses so try to give him parmesean or some other hard cheeses (many LOs love the strong flavours - my DS does) As far as calcium is concerned you can find other sources and much better sources of calcium from tinned sardines, leafy greens, broccoli, almonds (almond butter), tofu, blackstrap molasses, tahini (and other sesame seed products) I have also just started using Chia seeds which I sprinkle into almost everything. In liquids they turn gelatinous and in salads and sauces you don't even notice them. Not only are they a source of calcium but they also contain lots of other good nutrients. Keep offering milk but don't sweat it - as soon as he realises its not a big deal he will come back to it. In the meantime, do some research on other forms of calcium and good fats and start introducing them to the diet. Don't worry, if he has good weight gain, frequent wees and poos he's doing fine. His body is telling him what he needs so trust in that. Hope this helps xoxo