Author Topic: at 9 months should he still get a NF? seems genuinly hungry  (Read 1955 times)

Offline Avery3

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 8
at 9 months should he still get a NF? seems genuinly hungry
« on: April 16, 2012, 07:41:10 am »
DS2 finally dropped the NF and then a week later he got sick and started dropping his daily formula intake so began waking at night for a feed. which I obliged because he was quite sick adn I wanted to make sure he was getting enough fluids etc.

roll on three weeks later and hes over the worst of it but still waking in the night for a feed.He wakes at anytime from 9pm to 1am, its always random. he refuses to feed more during the day. Ive tried stretching him out longer periods and he becomes an absolute nightmare screaming his head off till I feed him then when I do feed him he only takes 120mls. So I tried adding an extra feed into the day to get rid of this nightfeed but again he hardly takes much, maybe 90mls at each feed.

Ive tried resettling him at night, most times it works but then he will wake an hour later. If i choose to feed him then most of the times he will go back to sleep and only wake once more with a quick resettle or sleep through till morning. If I dont feed him and keep resettling him then he will wake every 30mins to 2 hours through the night.

so does this tell me its true hunger?? even when Ive managed to get him to go all night without the feed he still doesnt take in more the next day.

Should I just continue giving him the nightfeed and hope he increases his intake during the day at some point (believe me Ive tried getting him to do so) or what??

Why do birds sing in the morning? It's the triumphant shout: "We got through another night!"

DS1 -January 2009, DS2 -July 2011

Offline C&B&E

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 34
Re: at 9 months should he still get a NF? seems genuinly hungry
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2012, 08:00:35 am »
Listening in - my DD is the same and I'm still assuming she's uncomfortable with reflux  :-\
Claire x

Offline *Becky*

• Showing Appreciation 255
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2012, 13:42:02 pm »
what is his solid intake like now?
Generally I would say that FF babies should not 'need' a NF by this age but it does sound like true hunger.
So is he having 4 bottles a day?

Henry James and Martha Rose - my spirited pair!

Offline Avery3

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 8
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2012, 22:39:15 pm »
well this happens every single time.... last night he slept 12 hours without waking for a bottle at all... then he polished off his morning feed!

Im so confuzzled lol
Why do birds sing in the morning? It's the triumphant shout: "We got through another night!"

Offline MommyMoulton

• Showing Appreciation 12
  • Kiss Anyone?
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2012, 23:19:27 pm »
My DS hasn't needed a NF since 5 months. But he eats a ton of solids. Could be reflux flare up. How many bottles per day is your lo drinking? DF stilll or no?
Melissa

Offline Avery3

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 8
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2012, 23:26:08 pm »
no DF, he eats differently on different days but generally likes his solids. Ive had him on 3 bottles a day to try and stretch him out so he would take more in a feeding but in the end gave in to another bottle cos he was so hungry and much happier after a small feed. however it didnt make any difference to the nightfeed. sometimes he takes alot, sometimes he doesnt. either way he still generally wants a feed and if he doesnt get it then he wakes up multiples times (except of course for last night)

atlantamomofthree

« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2012, 00:41:24 am »
well this happens every single time.... last night he slept 12 hours without waking for a bottle at all... then he polished off his morning feed!

Im so confuzzled lol
Haha :D Sorry, I don't have any advice, I just had to say thay this ALWAYS happens when I post something I need help with-all of a sudden it's 'fixed'! ::)

Offline Lolly

• Bottle Feeding, Discipline and Socialization
  • Showing Appreciation 318
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2012, 20:19:03 pm »
Haha :D Sorry, I don't have any advice, I just had to say thay this ALWAYS happens when I post something I need help with-all of a sudden it's 'fixed'! ::)

Ahhh.... the magic of BW!!

How are things today Avery>

Laura

Offline Avery3

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 8
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2012, 20:48:51 pm »
Another 12 hour night... yep just yep lol

atlantamomofthree

« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2012, 01:14:45 am »
Awesome!!