Author Topic: Just starting and a couple of questions  (Read 2025 times)

Offline Lazysusan

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« on: April 17, 2012, 02:36:51 am »
Hi all. DD2 is six months this week but I couldn't hold her off any longer (she was grabbing at my food when I ate) so I introduced solids a week ago.

But things seem to have changed a lot since I had DD1 and I am a bit confused about a couple of things.

I am planning on doing a mix of puréed and finger food. Do I need to go slowly, slowly (as used to be recommended) or can she pretty much go to three meals straightaway?

And can I introduce meat pretty much straightaway, too? I'm sure I waited until DD1 was 7 months.

We have no allergies in the family and she is loving everything so far.

Finally, I am starting to offer water with her meal. What do people think? Sippy cup or straw? And do I need to have boiled it? Is there a maximum amount they should drink per day?

And sorry, one more: I can use cow's milk in cooking, yes?

Apologies for all the questions. I don't think I was mentally ready for this!

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Forum Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 130
  • Just the wheat allergy to go now!
Re: Just starting and a couple of questions
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2012, 21:12:43 pm »
Hi,

Well I would start with 1 meal a day and build up - hitting her with 3 meals will not be good for little digestive system.

IMHO, I would start be slowly introducing things. Just until her tummy is used to solids going through it. Watch for things like banana, rice, sw pot etc as they can make them constipated and it is easier to spot the culprits if you don't introduce too much at once.

I think it is OK to introduce meat straightaway, in fact I think if you wait till 6 months it is pretty much recommended as it is a good source of iron.

Water - I think I was still boiling it. I BF though so not 100%, I would imagine that the FFers are still boiling the water for bottles?

Yes, cow's milk can be used for cooking.

HTH x

Offline Lazysusan

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2012, 22:23:16 pm »
Thanks Buntybear. I think I confused myself by reading too much varying stuff. This is very helpful and you have set my mind at ease.

Thank you!

Offline Lolly

• Bottle Feeding, Discipline and Socialization
  • Forum Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 318
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2012, 11:43:23 am »
UK recs are that you don't need to boil water for drinking from 6 months, tap water is fine! You would still need to boil water for bottles though as they need to be made with hot water to kill any bacteria in the formula powder. We used the Tommee Tippee flip top cups to start as they are really easy to drink from (and cheap to buy!).

Laura

Offline Lazysusan

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2012, 22:39:09 pm »
Oh that's great. Thanks so much, Laura.

Offline oneplusone

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 4
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2012, 15:04:11 pm »
I'd probably offer purees once a day to start. I went to 2 meals by 2 weeks and 3 meals by 3 weeks. Probably a bit fast, but he's a big boy and good eater. I'd just follow her cues for hunger/solids. If she's into finger food you could leave some out for her and let her eat as much as she wants. I think that's sorta the premise of BLW. We didn't do it because DS only recently became interested in fingerfood at 9 months.

Here meat is recommended as one of the first foods for the iron.

I gave tap water around 7 months. No need to boil past 4 months once they start putting everything in their mouths. I tired a sippy cup and he took to it straight away, but I've heard straws are better for BF babies.

Yes you can use cow's milk in cooking, it's just not supposed to replace BF or FF.
DS grumpy since 2011
DD textbook since 2014

Offline Lazysusan

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2012, 23:32:12 pm »
Thanks oneplusone. It's going great guns. We have moved to three meals a day and she is loving every mouthful.

Thanks also for the advice on the straw. I bought a bottle with a straw in and it's working much better.

Thanks all!