Author Topic: Stuggling with 11 month olds transition from puree's to "more solid" foods  (Read 3942 times)

Offline Lincolns_Mommy

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
My son is 11 months old and he only has one bottom tooth (another one is just starting to peek through). I have given him pureed food since he was 6 months old (we have the baby bullet) and he is an awesome eater. He eats anything and never complains. I feed him with a spoon. Sometimes he tries to help and I let him (with some guidance).

I am really reallly struggling with the transition to chunkier foods that he can chew. I have a choking phobia but I know that I need to put my son's needs first and not worry about him not being able to swallow properly.

I just feel as though I can't get in the flow of things...I don't know why I am finding it so difficult. I almost feel LOST at what to do...what foods to give him...whether to let him feed himself or feed him. Uggghhh....I think I am overthinking everything!

I have started making his purees a bit thicker and he does well with that. That being said....it is not so thick that he has to chew.

Yesterday I gave him some scrambled eggs....I put pieces on a spoon and put it in his mouth. He took the eggs but was not impressed with having to chew. He looked very concerned the whole time. Today I gave him small chunks of cooked sweet potato. Same thing as the eggs. He ate them and swallowed with some concentration. With the sweet potatoe I used my fingers to put them in his mouth. Then I put some on his tray but he showed no interest or understanding. He will feed himself "baby mum mums" which are rice rusks that pretty much dissolve in his mouth. He does very well with those.

I worry about giving him chunky food because he only has one tooth and I am nervous that he wont be able to chew it enough. Any thoughts?

Can anybody suggest some recipes that I can transition with? Or a website that has recipes?

Any suggestions or encouragement would be so appreciated at this point. I don't want my son to fall behind...I know I need to give him better food options for his age...I just feel like I don't know how....and that sucks!!!

Offline ~Sara~

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 264
*hugs* I know how you feel.  Feeding my son solids threw me for a loop!  Give me a routine to be tweaked over that, please! 

You're doing nothing wrong.  It sounds like he enjoys food and perhaps (in fact, I'll bet on it) that the weird looks he's making while chewing are just because it's a new sensation.  Having had a kiddo with a really sensitive gag reflex--but with tons of teeth (just to show you that having teeth doesn't mean no gagging ::))--here are some things that I did/had recommended to me:

1) Get him used to chewing by using those mesh feeders.  These things: http://www.amazon.com/Munchkin-Pack-Fresh-Feeder-Colors/dp/B000GK5XY2.  My DS LOVED to gnaw on some fruit in these...they were wonderful!  LO can chew to their heart's content, but basically they're just mashing up the food.

2) Knowing how overwhelmed you're feeling, pick one meal a day to experiment with finger foods/self-feeding.  Once you feel confident that you know what he can handle, expand to two meals, three meals, and then snacks and meals.

3) To go along with #2, maybe give him the softened chunks of food during that one meal.  Let him explore and play with the food and get used to feeding himself pieces of food.  As frustrating as it can be to leave them to it, sometimes it's the best thing (with you close by, of course).

4) Give DS a spoon to use while you feed him with another one.  Like with #3, this ability will come with practice.  My son was not doing this very well at even 12/13mo...it was just a skill that came with time, exposure, and practice. Btw, a thick yogurt is great for LOs to learn to eat using a spoon since it stays put so nicely. :)

5) Eat with him if you can to model how to eat.  So, you're giving him that sweet potato...maybe you could sit down next to him at the table and make a game of it.  Pick up a piece and give to him; have him feed you.  That kind of thing.

I was never good with recipes, but Lemonthyme has a nice website.  I'll track that down :)

Overall, just know you're doing a good job and that he'll learn soon enough.

ETA: Found her website: http://mamacook.blogspot.com/
« Last Edit: April 17, 2012, 03:16:53 am by ~Sara~ »
*formerly tersaseda*

Offline Lincolns_Mommy

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Thank you Sara!! I feel very encouraged and am taking on today with new confidence :)  Now off to find some more finger food options....

Offline Roseii

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 198
Just wanted to say my DD2 didn't get her first tooth til she was 14mo and it didn't stop her from chewing on ribs etc before she was a year old ;) Their gums are super hard :)
Blessed mum to two home-birthed darling water babies

hey you with the pretty face, welcome to the human race

Offline oneplusone

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 4
Great suggestions by Sara!

Just wanted to tell you that my LO has 6 teeth and hates chewing. He refuses to eat mum mums or any of the other 5 kinds of baby cookies I bought. I stick it in his mouth and it will just hang there stuck to his lip until he pulls it out. It took me months to get him to eat puffed wheats by himself. Those dissolve quite easily so you might want to try those. He refuses to pick up anything that is slimy or wet, I've tried covering bits of banana in crushed cereal, but he's too smart for me. Just this week he finally started picking up cheese bits! I've been making chunkier purees as well. I think you just have to keep at it. You can try grating some foods (cheese or apples) and it's small and thin enough he won't choke on it and it will just slide down if he doesn't chew that well. Good luck!   
DS grumpy since 2011
DD textbook since 2014