Author Topic: Help with routine  (Read 1601 times)

Offline JoannaB

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
Help with routine
« on: April 19, 2012, 20:10:49 pm »
My ds is 19 weeks and I have just tried him with solids. He manages well for his age and loves what I have given him but routine wise, I'm struggling. Previously we had a day like this:

6.30- 7oz formula
8.30-sleep for 30-60mins
10.00-7oz formula
11.30- sleep for approx 1.5 hrs sometimes 2
1.30- 7oz formula
3.00- sleep 30mins
4.00- 7oz formula
5.00- sleep 30 mins, or sometimes no nap!
6.30- 7oz formula

However, all of these times change slightly everyday because his naps are quite unpredictable! (with many attempts to fix it unsuccessfully!)
He has missed out the 3.30/4pm bottle a few times recently due to a long lunchtime nap meaning that he eats at 2pm and then able to go until 6pm for the bedtime feed but for the 3 earlier bottles, 3.5hrs is the longest he will go between. So, since he missed this feed of his own accord really i thought that this would be the best time to give a solid feed.  So, in order not to cut his milk I am trying 8oz at 6.30am, 1.30pm and 6pm with a few teaspoons of veg/fruit and a drink of water at about 4pm. Does this seem like a good way to do things? The 8oz didn't help him go any longer than 7oz did but it has only been a few days! 
Any suggestions or advice to tweak would be great.... But please don't suggest a nap change to fit... He will do exactly what he wants with a general A time Of 2hrs.   Sorry if long and rambling!!!

Offline JoannaB

• Showing Appreciation 1
Re: Help with routine
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2012, 16:55:41 pm »
An update.... Today went like this:

E 6.30am  -8oz
S. 8.15am  -30mins
E. 10.15am  -8oz
S. 11.15am  -2hrs 15 mins
E. 1.45pm - 8oz
S. 4.00pm- 10 mins (power nap and struggled to get at all!)
E. 4.15pm  - pears/baby rice about an ounce
Then cried for more, but decided to give milk early so taken 5oz at about 5pm and will give the rest after his bath.

Might be an idea split the tea time bottle, but worried that he will NW! 
Help please??!  X

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Forum Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2012, 21:08:29 pm »
It is generally best to do solids early in the day to give the immature digestive system time to get over any issues by BT. I wouldn't miss out any milk feeds for solids at this age. Solids should compliment milk feeds not replace them. Personally on your routine I would offer solids around 7.30am.

Is there any reason why you are starting solids so early? Have you checked with your Dr before starting solids? Current guidelines in the UK and most of the world are to not give any solids before 26wo.
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011

Offline JoannaB

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2012, 22:29:45 pm »
I have spoken to my HV who was happy for me to start him on a v small amount of fruit/veg as he is almost 18.5lbs and has gone up a line for his weight on the centile chart.  Also his skipping that 4pm feed every so often has made me think that although he mostly feeds every 3 hrs (sometimes 3.5), he may not always be hungry or needing that bottle so the idea was that if his body doesn't actually require the calories it may be better to fill in that gap with a small amount of solids. He is a big boy and I can't see anyway that he would wait til 26 wks. my dd was 26 wks exactly when she was weaned but although she was a big baby she was always satisfied with 4hr feeds like clockwork and there was never the need for something else, however it just doesn't seem the same this time.
some days he wants that feed and others he just doesn't so I guess what I have to do is let him be the judge and see where it takes us. 

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 130
  • Just the wheat allergy to go now!
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2012, 13:31:25 pm »
Hi, I agree with Ali it is generally best to offer solids first in the morning. Looking at your routine I would say at 7.30 or 11.

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 130
  • Just the wheat allergy to go now!
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2012, 06:46:18 am »
Has your HV suggested the hungry baby formulas? Would they be better than weaning early? Or at least alongside? A spoonful of applesauce contains very few calories compared to the milk that your LO loves. I am not sure it will the that much difference?

Just MHO, we BF and weaned at 6 months!

Offline JoannaB

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2012, 07:52:34 am »
No she hasn't but I have thought about it and am seeing her on Tuesday so was going to mention then.   Since we have started I don't think we will stop but it may work to stretch his feeds and stop his weight jumping up . Thanks x