Author Topic: Draining 8 oz bottles  (Read 2427 times)

Offline ENMS

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 63
Draining 8 oz bottles
« on: April 20, 2012, 13:22:46 pm »
So my DS (4.5 months) has started draining his 8 oz bottles since I changed him to a faster teat.  I'm not sure what to do... increase his bottles to 9 oz? It almost sounds too much milk? I know he's always supposed to stop because he's not hungry, not because the bottle is empty?

I'm also considering introducing solids... he's more than doubled his birth weight and takes in between 35-40 oz in a day.

I don't think it's a GS because he doesn't drink more often, it's just that he's finally increased the quantities in each feed...
Elise

Offline JoannaB

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
Re: Draining 8 oz bottles
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2012, 13:46:06 pm »
My DS is exactly the same- age, double birth weight and 8oz finished. , I have introduced 1 solid feed each day, just a v small amount of fruit/veg and am hoping that this will help to stretch out and gradually reduce the milk feeds a bit once he is on 3 a day. Obviously milk isn't to be cut too quickly and they still need I think 28-30oz at this age?
So I'm not really being much help but offering some support, some babies do just need to move on early I think! Hopefully someone else can give you some more advice! X

Offline Lolly

• Bottle Feeding, Discipline and Socialization
  • Showing Appreciation 318
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2012, 19:16:14 pm »
Have you started thickening his feeds yet? If not then see how it goes when you do. I would increase the bottles to 9oz for now, maybe see if the extra oz will push the bottles out a bit (I'm assuming you aren't on a 4 hour EASY yet?).

I wouldn't start solids yet, given that he is a refluxer with the MPI issues it may well make things worse. He is only just 4 months, and if his milk is staying down and he's taking plenty there's no reason that solids would benefit him. I started DD on cereal at 4.5 months (really wanted to wait til 6 months) because she was pouring her reflux formula back out and it did help her keep it in. We started DS at just over 5 months and it didn't help him at all, made things worse in fact.

Laura

Offline ENMS

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2012, 21:41:05 pm »
Have you started thickening his feeds yet?

Yes, actually it is the thickening that increased his quantities, not just the new nipple.  But his poops are smelly, more frequent, and more liquid since I started using the thickener  :-\ so I'm not sure if I'll keep on with it or not.

I'd say he feeds every 3h45 approx... not quite 4h, but usually more than 3h30.

I'm really thinking of trying the cereal now instead of thickening his milk, because of his poops. For your DD it worked well to stop her from refluxing?
Elise

Offline babymunkey

• Showing Appreciation 38
  • Helen.....call me H
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2012, 22:27:09 pm »
Elise, B is the same since we moved her up to the faster teats too. She has bottles at BT and DF. At BT she is determined to finish the bottle whatever we put in it, so I've stopped increasing it - she had gone up to 7oz (but remember this is a top up after a both sides BF :o)

Offline ENMS

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2012, 22:49:39 pm »
I have introduced 1 solid feed each day, just a v small amount of fruit/veg

Can I ask you why you chose fruit/veg instead of cereal? Just out of curiosity. Thanks for your support :-*

(but remember this is a top up after a both sides BF )

:o oh my god that is a huge feed H!!!
Elise

Offline JoannaB

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2012, 05:55:32 am »
When I started my DD I chose baby rice as it was what was recommended but this time when I asked my Health Visitor about my DS she didn't mention it at all and said fruit/veg. I am using the Annabel Karmel guide (which is from 6 month I know) and baby rice/cereal is only used for the first 2 days anyway.  I believe the only reason to use this is because it has a bland taste and would be easily accepted. Yes, there is a chance of allergies when introducing new foods however I think this is pretty slim with sweet potato, carrots, pears etc.  I would prefer them to start tasting more things rather than sticking to the same however I will be careful to limit what he has and when breakfast comes eventually this will be baby cereal to start off a good habit.   Apart from what my HV said, this is just my opinion so with regards to his reflux combined with weaning my thoughts may not help any. 
You know your baby best and will figure out the right thing for him.
X

Offline babymunkey

• Showing Appreciation 38
  • Helen.....call me H
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2012, 07:08:10 am »
We did fruit 1st with H too (apple and pear) Never did baby rice at all - for breakfasts or to mix in watery foods I used baby porridge.