Author Topic: When to discontinue milk as the snack?  (Read 1744 times)

Offline tlee81

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« on: April 25, 2012, 14:28:19 pm »
Hi all,
I'm hoping some of you can help me with this.  Erin is 12 months old and has fully transitioned to cow's milk.  She also no longer takes a bottle.  All of her liquids are in a sippy now (water and milk).  When I transitioned her from a bottle to a sippy, I just replaced the bottle with a sippy.  I didn't change the time it was offered since we were still fully on formula then (around 10.5 months).  Here was our schedule before the milk transition:

7am: 7oz formula in sippy
8/8:30am: breakfast of fruit, yogurt, cheerios, toast, pancakes, eggs (I usually only do 2 combinations: fruit &...)
11am: 5oz. formula in sippy (this was her snack after her am nap)
12/12:30pm: lunch of usually left overs from last nights dinner (meat, veggie, and carb.  If she refused fruit from breakfast, I offered it here)
3:30/4pm: 5oz. formula in sippy (this was her snack after her pm nap)
5/5:30pm: dinner (veggies, meat, carb)
6:45/7pm: 7oz. formula in sippy

Now that we are fully on cow's milk, our schedule is the same, she just gets cows milk in her sippy rather than formula.  I would like to cut down a little on the cow's milk or at least introduce some solids for her snacks and combine the two "milk snacks" and offer it at lunch.  I've noticed somethings that I'm thinking might make it a little hard:

1) she can only tolerate her cow's milk at room temp or a little warmer.  She will drink it cold, but if she does, she throws it up.  

2) she chugs her milk from her sippy.  So, she doesn't sip her milk throughout the day. If it is offered at a meal (if we are off schedule and she hasn't had the milk snack, i give it to her at her meal), she chugs it down as well.  Her water though, she sips throughout the day, even at meals

3)She knows she when she is supposed to get her milk.  I've tried holding off on it before to help bring her milk to a meal time, but she has asked for it after 30 minutes from waking from her nap.  Although, I haven't tried this in a while.

I do know that Tracy Hogg does allow milk to be served as snacks, but when it is suggested to move away from this and start offering a small snack at the snack time instead of milk?

ETA: I should also say that Erin is a very good eater.  We rarely have problems getting food into her.

Offline Lolly

• Bottle Feeding, Discipline and Socialization
  • Forum Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 318
Re: When to discontinue milk as the snack?
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2012, 15:53:20 pm »
There is no problem with offering milk as a snack if it's not having an impact on her meals. It's usual with bottle fed babies to drop to 3 bottles around 9/10 months, 2 bottles by a year and then these bottles are swapped for a cup, but that's not set in stone.

She needs around 14oz of dairy a day to get her needs met and this includes the dairy in her food. If she is enjoying the milk and she is eating well it's not a problem to have a drink as a snack - you could always give her a bit less and offer something to eat with it.

When my DD turned 1 she wasn't eating her breakfast so we stopped offering milk on waking up and did breakfast first then offered a sippy of milk with some toast mid-morning.

HTH!

Laura

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Forum Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 130
  • Just the wheat allergy to go now!
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2012, 17:15:41 pm »
Hi, as your LO is 12 months I will move this over to Eating for Toddlers x

Offline tlee81

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2012, 18:54:04 pm »
Thanks so much Bunty Bear! I don't post in these forums much so I'm never really 100% sure where to post.