Author Topic: NW - Feed or re-settle?  (Read 1250 times)

Offline sandrawoodruff

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: April 25, 2012, 21:59:12 pm »
I have a 3mo who has not yet STTN.  She has been on 3hour EASY since about 6weeks old, have recently stopped the NF and have just re-tucked and re-settled however am worried I am doing the wrong thing?
DF usually around 11pm, Last few nights she has woken at 3:50 on the dot.  Resettles ok and I then have to wake her for 7am feed expecting her to be ravenous but she only takes 2 or 3 oz

She weighs 11lbs15ozs, the health  visitors say she should be taking 33ozs of formula in a 24hour period but she is averaging only 20-23 Ozs although is gaining weight.  Is she waking due to hunger?  If I feed her at 4am she's difficult to rouse for the 7am feed which she shows no interest in anyway and just throws out feed times for the rest of the day.  Have tried extending to 4 hour EASY in the hope she would take more at each feed, she has adapted well but doesn't seem to be taking any more overall.

Should I feed her when she wakes at night or should she be going through yet? Please help,
Thanks

Offline Lolly

• Bottle Feeding, Discipline and Socialization
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 318
Re: NW - Feed or re-settle?
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2012, 07:43:01 am »
If she settles easily then I'd say she isn't hungry, babies who are hungry will settle briefly but wake again really soon. If it's having an impact on her first morning feed then I'd say leave her be.

She isn't taking a lot in 24 hours though - what bottle type and teat size are you using? Does she have reflux? How is she when she feeds? That said if she is gaining weight, has plenty of wet and dirty nappies and is alert when she is awake with age appropriate awake times she is probably getting what she needs. Is she on the same growth curve she was born on or has she dropped down?

Laura

Offline sandrawoodruff

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2012, 19:25:54 pm »
Hi, she settles easily after being retucked, almost instantly if I lay her on her side (which I try not to do too often)

We are using Avent bottles and have recently increased to teat size 3 which is recommended for 3 months +
She doesn't have reflux and is rarely sick.  She rarely cries for a feed, just searches with her head or has begun to suck her hand a bit, just seems to lose interest after a couple of ounces, even after winding, just plays around with the teat and cries if I persevere too long.

Plenty of wet nappies each day, one or two dirty ones per week (really dirty!) and she is otherwise alert and happy while she is awake.  She is on the same growth curve as when she was born which is why the health visitors are not concerned.

The four hour EASY seems to be suiting her better, occasionally I can get her to take a 5oz feed but not every time -should I just continue to resettle during night wakings?