Author Topic: bedtime bottle at 2.5 yards  (Read 1999 times)

Offline kikoz

• Chris
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 14
  • Grateful for every moment
bedtime bottle at 2.5 yards
« on: April 27, 2012, 16:33:29 pm »
hi

my dd is 2.7 months and she still drinks her 9oz bottle of formula milk at bedtime.i know that the bedtime bottle should be stopped.

I also know that her daily dairy intake should be 500ml to 750ml between yogurt, cheese and milk;  she s been taking a total of around 100 to 200 ml of yogurt between diner and lunch, a cheese sandwich or milk pudding or a strawberry flavored milk of 90ml for bearkfast and the remaining was taken in that nightime bottle.

we need to stop that bottle bc of all the reasons you know. BUT how will she make up for that lost milk!??!?!?!

i know my daughter, she was never high on milk, so I really dont see how she will make up for it...it tooks ages to have her drink a full proper bottle and now it seems I m taking that away from her.
she is been sick for a week, adn couldnt suck on her bedtime bottle so I thought, since she feeling much better and back to normal I will not offer the formula bottle at bdetime today but i did offer cow milk in a cup.
she slightly protested but not much. she sipped very little milk and went off to sleep.so, as you see, its not a matter of dependance ( depedance on the bottle to sleep) here for us, she slept just fine, its a matter of her dairy daily intake...

I was also offering cow milk today at meal times, but she refused, but she did take her usual yogurt intake. At bedtime I offered cow milk in a cup but she only sipped very little.

My biggest concern is that that bottle of formula was, on top of all the meals and yogurt, a big portion of her daily dairy intake. How is she gona make up for it??! It's a 7-9oz bottle! i know, she will not take it at snack times bc it will make her full and she s used to her yogurt at meal times.

am i doing the right thing?! I feel I'm taking away a big portion of her daily intake. She is not a plumb toddler...( she is around 95 cm height-14kg)

many thanks for your advise

« Last Edit: April 27, 2012, 16:35:57 pm by kikoz »

Offline Lolly

• Bottle Feeding, Discipline and Socialization
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 318
Re: bedtime bottle at 2.5 yards
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2012, 17:10:07 pm »
She really doesn't need formula at this age, you can offer other foods that contain calcium as well as dairy based (have a google- not sure which ones off hand!).

I would stop the bottle, and keep on offering cow's milk you will probably find that she starts taking more as she gets more used to the flavour change. My DS dropped his bedtime bottle in the same way at the same age really - he had a bad cough that was making him bring up his milk (cow's milk though) and so we stopped it and never went back to it when he was well. My DD chose not to have any bedtime milk before she turned 2.

My two have cereal with milk in the morning and drink a cup of milk with tea (some days ::)) and yoghurt once a day. Really though, if their diet is balanced and they are getting some other sources of calcium then they don't need to rely on milk. If you are worried about the calcium intake maybe ask her Dr if a supplement is appropriate?

Laura

Offline Mashi

• Showing Appreciation 408
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2012, 17:57:39 pm »
I also know that her daily dairy intake should be 500ml to 750ml between yogurt, cheese and milk;

Actually there isn't a daily dairy intake that they should have at this age.  There is a calcium requirement, and calcium is easy to get from dairy-based foods, but they don't need the dairy and can get their calcium from many other foods as well.

Until about age 3, she needs 500mg of calcium per day. (It goes up as they get older!)  Here are some sample foods and their calcium levels -
examples:

Milk,                   1 cup  -- 300 mg calcium
White beans   1/2 cup -- 113 mg
Instant Oatmeal   1 cup   -- 100 mg
Broccoli, cooked   1/2 cup -- 35 mg
Broccoli, raw   1 cup   -- 35 mg
Cheddar cheese   1.5 oz --300 mg
Yogurt, low-fat   8 oz   300 mg
Orange juice, calcium fortified   1 cup   350 mg
Orange, medium   1   40-50 mg
Sweet potatoes, mashed   1/2 cup   44 mg

(1 cup is equal to 250mls.  )

So if she has 150ml of yogurt (180mg calcium), about an ounce of cheese in a sandwich (200mg calcium), an orange, and some broccoli, then she is at almost her entire day's worth of calcium, and that is without having had any milk to drink at all.   Lots of fruits and vegetables have calcium in them and she probably gets a lot more than you realise. It might be worth thinking about what some of the foods are that she eats often and looking up their calcium content.

Also, formula is extremely filling and quite high in calories.  When you eliminate that bottle she will probably eat more food because she will be hungry for it.

Offline kikoz

• Chris
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2012, 18:27:38 pm »
Hi ladies :)

thank you loads for your reply!

things are going much better than I expected. dd is indeed taking in more milk during the day  since we stopped the bottle.

she is drinking strawberry flavored milk after diner, in a straw,  ( she just wouldnt even wana hear about the regular one) around 220ml.
for morning snack and lunch she takes up to 200ml of yogurt.
she gets different kinds of cooked vegs during the day- peas, spinach, green bean, sweet corn, carrots,tomatos,eggplant, and all sort of fruits... she used to eat a bowl of steamed broccoli! she doesnt anymore...but will keep offering it...

so i m guessing we should be fine?

she is still asking about the bottle at night... out of habit really, she doesnt insist or throw any fits about it...
i also delayed her diner time ( and afternoon snack) so she has a full tummy when in bed... at least she wont feel the need to fill her tummy with milk like she did before.

DH was telling me she is too young to stop the bottle...but I know now its much better without it... for teeth, for brain dvlpt and ets

Lolly :) we ve gone a long way :) I m sure you remember all our milk stories :) you were always there :)))) X

thank you for your support, I m glad to know that we are doing the right thing for dd :)

Offline Lolly

• Bottle Feeding, Discipline and Socialization
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 318
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2012, 19:36:04 pm »
I remember! Did you ever think she would be taking that much milk in one sitting ;) Thank you for your kind words too :-*!

You are definitly doing the right thing for your DD - I think she is doing really well!

Laura

Offline kikoz

• Chris
Re: bedtime bottle at 2.5 yrs
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2012, 08:07:09 am »
:) since you last advised me to keep offering milk at bedtime, and that was almost a year ago :)))) she has been taking the 250ml formula bottle at bedtime and now she is really into her strawberry milk haha! I would have never thought indeed :)

Thank you again Laura for all and thank you Mashi for the valuable info

XXX

« Last Edit: May 02, 2012, 15:23:25 pm by kikoz »