Author Topic: Feeding issues after illness  (Read 1048 times)

Offline allm416

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
Feeding issues after illness
« on: April 28, 2012, 10:13:43 am »
My DD had a tummy bug for a couple of days earlier this week, vomiting a couple of times & getting diarrhoea several times a day especially during or after feeds.

Before she was ill she was taking 7oz every 4 hours & a 6oz dream feed & draining most bottles. Whilst she was ill she refused one feed completely but apart from that she was still taking 6/6.5oz at most feeds. She pretty much recovered now (still a little bit of diarrhoea) but is only now taking about half her feed each time. She usually takes a couple of ounces & then gags the bottle out, so I stop for 5/10 minutes & can maybe get another 2 ounces down her before she refuses more.

Any suggestions why this might be happening & what I can do? Should I feed her little & often just to get her daily milk intake up (worried about turning her into a snacker) or just leave it as is & let her take only what she wants? Should I maybe try changing the teat size? She's 5 months next week but always been on a Size 1 teat as she seems comfortable with it & only takes 10/15 mins to take 7oz which feels about right.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Offline Lolly

• Bottle Feeding, Discipline and Socialization
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 318
Re: Feeding issues after illness
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2012, 19:46:47 pm »
How long is she going between feeds - what EASY are you on? You can certainly try a faster teat but she may just needs a few days to recover her appetite properly. I remember my DS had a D&V bug when he was 14 weeks old - it took a good 2 weeks before he was eating normally again.

Laura

Offline lilisuze

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 46
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2012, 20:25:47 pm »
agree with Laura, give it a week before you worry
Little dude (2008) spirited monkey boy
Little pink (2011) textbook princess