Author Topic: gluten free - where do I even start? Tips, recipes, encouragement needed!!  (Read 9430 times)

Offline marensmama

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 202
OK here's our update for the 5-6 week mark:

It's 7:45 am here, Maren has been playing with the dog for over an hour now (quite loudly, I might add ::) ) and Hayden is STILL SLEEPING.  This happened for a period of two weeks back in January of 2011 when she had finally dropped her nap and her reflux was well controlled.  I remember that time well, wondered if we'd ever have that again.  This could be a one-off, but considering she wasn't up late last night and isn't ill, I think it's amazing! A 13 hour night! Her sleep has been better overall in the last two weeks, not this great, but certainly better than its been.

We went out for dinner last night.  Our first time since she's been GF.  It was intimidating, but we went to a diner type place that does all day breakfast so she could have eggs and bacon.  It worked out pretty well.

The rest of us have gone back to eating gluten in small amounts.  I'm careful not to cross-contaminate Hayden's food, and any baking I do is GF so she can have it.  It's mostly just bread that's our trouble.  The only decent GF bread is $8 a loaf and since DH and Maren haven't been sticking to the GF diet outside of home, there's no point spending so much money on bread. 

Otherwise, it's impossible to tell if her reflux is any better.  She has not flared up at least, and she hasn't complained of a tummy ache in a while.  The rash on her bottom got better but now is slightly worse again.  So who knows? 

Nicole - Mom to My Lovely Girls

Offline my3girlsjde

• Sometimes a superpower is simply surviving the chaos.....
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 115
  • Reflux, sleep apnea and food allergies
It's 7:45 am here, Maren has been playing with the dog for over an hour now (quite loudly, I might add  ) and Hayden is STILL SLEEPING.
If I didn't know the struggle you've been going through I would be EXTREMELY JEALOUS lol. That's so great!!!

I really think you're on the right track here. I'm curious about the dairy too, but if the reflux is controlled or at least not flaring up and no tummy ache and no other outward symptoms, then I would think to leave it for now. Dairy AND gluten is a huge undertaking and where she's at the age of understanding what an ice cream is but not exactly why she can't have it or being in the moment and not caring that it would upset her body later than totally not worth it.

The rash on her bottom got better but now is slightly worse again.
I've learned through E that even when the food issue is removed, if there's any type of yeast going on with the rash it will still persist until it's killed off completely. I've had a LOT of success with OTC Nystatin antifungal and an OTC hydrocortisone cream (I think 0.5%) one after the other and it both kills off the yeast and helps the skin heal.

Since it's now 930am, I know she's likely up but I hope she does as well for you again tonight :)
Vicki - nursing student and proud mother to three refluxers in two years

Remembering my sleeping angels: 17 Jan 06, 30 Jul 09