Author Topic: Skin rash  (Read 2533 times)

Offline ENMS

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 63
Skin rash
« on: April 29, 2012, 13:17:33 pm »
DS is 4.75 months. He is MSPI and has reflux (which is medicated). He's on Nuttramigen AA since about 2 months.  With the advice of the doctor we have started cereals.  Last week we tried dairy free, but not soy free cereals (couldn't find any soy-free plus I didn't know if he was MPI or MSPI) and it didn't go well... frequent liquidy poops, huge diaper rash, he seemed uncomfortable. So I took a break and ordered some soy-free cereals and started him on that on Friday (1 teaspoon per day, he took  maybe 1/2 to 3/4 of it on Friday and all of it on Saturday).  He's doing good - no poop issues, he's very happy, he even STTN last night.  Potentially a little reflux flare up, but I'm not sure - it was DD's birthday yesterday so there was lots of action here, that could have caused him to have a litle more issues to drink.  

He has had a mild skin rash on his belly for a long while, the Dr saw it on Friday for his appointment and said that it was typical of babies with allergies. Not to worry. He also has eczema on his face, which is currently controlled well with the use of Aveeno Eczema cream

I noticed last night that his skin rash was more pronounced, so was his eczema. This morning his eczema is ok but his skin rash is still more pronounced than usual - see picture.

Given that he's otherwise fine, I'm wondering if I should stick with the cereal or discontinue it?

TIA

Elise

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Showing Appreciation 130
  • Just the wheat allergy to go now!
Re: Skin rash
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2012, 21:32:31 pm »
What are the ingredients in the cereal? You think it could be something else in there giving him a rash?

Offline ENMS

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2012, 00:30:16 am »
They're the Healthy Times rice cereal and the ingredients are:

organic whole grain brown rice flour
tricalcium phosphate
electrolytic iron
niacinamide
riboflavin
thiamine mononitrate

none of these really ring any bell to me ??? could they be potential allergens?

I have started to put the eczema cream on his belly so it's a bit better today. He still appears to be doing well but he had a screaming fit which seemed like pain at BT - but could be gas only, who knows really. I guess for now I'd say he's tolerating it well except for the rash, but it seems controlled now, so I guess I'll continue with it and see how it goes...
Elise

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2012, 06:14:12 am »
I think they are the fortified vitamins they add looking at the names of them. I would continue and just keep an eye on the rash. It may be a coincidence. If it gets worse then take the cereal out and see what happens. Good luck.

Offline Avery3

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 8
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2012, 07:54:59 am »
DS2 has just come up with the same rash in the past two weeks. I have no idea what could be causing it either. Im just gonna follow along to see what you come up with
Why do birds sing in the morning? It's the triumphant shout: "We got through another night!"

DS1 -January 2009, DS2 -July 2011

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2012, 20:06:56 pm »
Hi, how are things now?

Offline ENMS

« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2012, 23:54:43 pm »
Thanks for checking in :)

the rash has pretty much disappeared, or has gone back to being very pale like before.  so I'm thinking the cereals are ok. we do have a reflux flare up however so I'm hoping it goes away soon, might be due to teething, we also introduced pear yesterday.
Elise

Offline KathrynK

• spends far too much time on here
  • Showing Appreciation 171
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2012, 06:03:19 am »
hey Elise

Alex always had a reflux and eczema flare up when teething so hopefully that's "all" it is and not diet related xx
]