Author Topic: Should I change to larger nipple/teat?  (Read 1927 times)

Offline Nickie18

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
Should I change to larger nipple/teat?
« on: May 01, 2012, 18:16:49 pm »
My 6 week old seems to be doing well on #1 avent nipple- takes sometimes 5 ounces in one setting. However, sometimes it seems that he takes a few ounces and then refuses anymore. Usually the afternoon and dinner feeds. Seems he gets tired or bored? He does take 3 ounces at dream feed and 2.5 ounces at 2:45am, but awakening early at 5:45am. I would like him to take more during the day to wean off the night feeds at some point. Would a larger nipple help get in at the later feeds? We tried the #2 (states for one month and up) for a few days last week and he seemed to sputter.

How do you know when to change?

Offline Lolly

• Bottle Feeding, Discipline and Socialization
  • Showing Appreciation 318
Re: Should I change to larger nipple/teat?
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2012, 19:44:47 pm »
The time to change is usually when they start taking a very long time to finish a bottle or give up after a while. A bottle feed should be done within about 20 mins and there should be enough in the bottle so they can stop when they are finished and not just because the bottle is empty. When you change teats there can be a bit of spluttering for a few feeds while they get used to it so I would try the no2 for a day and if he is still spluttering after a good few feeds he may not be ready for it yet.

With the nightfeeds even if you do get a bit more in during the day he is going to need it for a good while yet. The dreamfeed is usually dropped around 8 months when solids are established and most babies need a nightfeed during their first 6 months. Remember their tummies are tiny and they need the calories for all the growth spurts (usually 3 weeks, 6 weeks, 12 weeks, 4 months and 6 months and sometimes inbetween!). Some babies do sleep from DF to wake up without a nightfeed earlier but it's their choice rather than an active wean of the the feed.

HTH!

Laura

Offline Nickie18

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2012, 21:19:33 pm »
Thank you- We will give the number 2 a try again next week. I really don't want to stop the night feeds now- I would just like to sleep later...

Offline Nickie18

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2012, 20:43:05 pm »
Tried No2 today and he did great- almost drained the bottle in 20 minutes, no sputtering (yet) will keep trying. Thank you

Offline Lolly

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2012, 21:08:34 pm »
Yeah! Don't forget if he is draining the majority of his bottles you need to add another oz!

Laura

Offline Nickie18

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2012, 00:17:52 am »
Actually the next bottle he took 3.5 ounces with no sputtering or obvious issues, and then cried and would not take anymore. For over 20 minutes tried to burp him and rub him and console him and he refused anymore. He settled and played for active time. Maybe reflux? Maybe too much at once from the bottle? Maybe he just wanted 3.5 ounces? He usually takes up to 5 ounces during the morning feeds-

Offline Lolly

« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2012, 21:28:17 pm »
He may well have just wanted a smaller feed - they don't take the same amount at every feed.

How has today been?

Laura

Offline Nickie18

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2012, 21:49:49 pm »
He has been doing well except he did get fussy again at lunch feed after 2 ounces. He cried. Took a few minutes and then gave some gas drops and then he took 3.5 more ounces. He is doing ok it seems though with the larger nipple as he is not choking or sputtering. Maybe just gas? Going to ask my pedi about reflux.