Author Topic: Uh oh...I did a dumb thing  (Read 1996 times)

Offline ZacsMumme

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 425
  • You complete me
    • Tomi & Roo Boutique
Uh oh...I did a dumb thing
« on: May 06, 2012, 00:13:28 am »
So Z was having his bottle from a sippie at about 15 months. Last month he was sick, teething badly not eating or drinking much so I gave him the bottle teat back to  get some milk into him. (he doesn't drink much from sippie)

All has settled and we just tried offering the sippie and we had a full screaming meltdown/fit/tantrum!!! ::) I gave in for today and he got the teat but going forward do I just keep offering it, or not worry too much? W are working on weaning the milk anyway ie dropping the volumes to encourage him to eat more. (that's another story)

Seriously it's like we hit 18 months and I have a teenage girl ::)
***Sara***
https://www.facebook.com/tomiandroo

DS1 - Our sensitive soul. Silent reflux.

DS2 Our cheeky chipmunk. Reflux, MSPI.

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 130
  • Just the wheat allergy to go now!
Re: Uh oh...I did a dumb thing
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2012, 18:02:31 pm »
How are things now mate?

Offline koe2moe

• Showing Appreciation 250
  • Battle on the chess board
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2012, 18:25:22 pm »
Well that was just his way to say, what is happening with my lovely milk bottle teat??  Hehe. This is just a precursor as to how he would be at three to things he doesnt want.  (sorry i just realise that i was reacting the same way to ds when he was younger but i am now paying for it LOL wish i was a bit more forward thinking). Back to the issue here.  If you want to cut down on the milk, i would say, go for the sippy.  Do as you mean to go.  We didnt but DS is a hungry baby and without a full tummy, we would get numerous NWs and EW, so for our sanity and sleep, we chose to leave it and he was still on it until 35 mo.  He gave up one evening and didnt want milk anymore. 

There is no problem with his teeth, from using the teat.  So weigh up the goal and pros and cons and see what you would like to go for.  When he has a tantrum, just tell him that i know you dont like this one as this isnt the same as the old one.  Do try it, u will grow on it one day and just keep talking to him calmly, you will be surprised how he just calms down, i hope!  :). Now i am reminescing how DS was still drinking from a broken teat so carefully not to leak everywhere because i told him i wouldnt buy a new baby thing again. 

oh and since you are expecting, perhaps get him to wrap them up with you to save it for the baby ;). HTH xx

Offline ZacsMumme

• You complete me
    • Tomi & Roo Boutique
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2012, 18:54:42 pm »
 :-[ I haven't tried the sippy again...
DH and I are going to try again in the weekend when there are two of us to deal with the potential fall out! ::)

The thing that is frustrating is that he was fine with the sippy before...but now its like he realises he has a choice, and he doesn't 'want' it. I guess its just that tough age, I should have left it even when he was poorly. (hindsight right!)

Koe - part of me does think just leave it, esp as we are gradually reducing the bottle anyway, and it is partially comfort I think as I have stopped BF.
***Sara***

Offline Shiv52

• The Diplomat
  • Global Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 585
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2012, 18:57:57 pm »
Honesty although we never did bottles a bedtime bottle at such a young age wouldn't bother me.  HE's only getting it at bedtime? and does he do his teeth after?  Could you work on the sippy through the day and leave the bottle for a bit rather than have drama at bedtime?  Then you can just gradually reduce amount and it won't really be worth his while.

Offline koe2moe

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2012, 19:00:56 pm »
Follow your instinct.  You know him best!  Good luck!!

Offline ZacsMumme

• You complete me
    • Tomi & Roo Boutique
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2012, 19:04:37 pm »
I was BF at BT, then because it is so ingrained in his BT routine when I stopped BF we offered a bottle instead. Probably the wrong thing to do, but he is soo touchy with sleep and I guess I was really worried it would cause a meltdown. Plus its more comfort I think than anything else ::) Yes he does teeth at BT too.

We were gradually reducing the lunchtime one first - This was because he wasnt eating much in the arvo. Ive dropped it from 200mls to 150mls and he is find with it. DH tried 100mls and he had a fit lol. Its already helping him eat better at dinner. He has a HUGE breakie and is back to STTN (FXed this regression is over) so Im not worried about calories at BT so much - yet..... :-\ Am I doing this all the wrong way around :-\
***Sara***

Offline koe2moe

« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2012, 19:11:39 pm »
I also used to worry about meltdowns but just since last week, i started reminding myself that it was this little person trying to tell me he doesnt like something.  I could stay calm because of that and tried to explain to him why he couldnt or shouldnt have what he wanted.  One thing was that he couldnt stay up all night!  Sorry that is off topic!

It is better, so it is good!  :)