Author Topic: 16mo not gaining weight....what foods are good to put on weight?  (Read 2161 times)

Offline Charlygirl

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Hi there, my LO has always been very small, on the 5-10th percentile, however she has been getting her molars and not really eating very well lately...and hasnt put on any weight this month, even dropped a little.  I need some good food ideas to bump up her weight, the other problem we hv is I have cut back her bf to just before bt, and she won't drink milk at all, so at moment she is just having milk on her cereals, cheese on pasta and occasionally a piece and a yogurt and a bf before bed.  Any suggestions would be great as I'm really worried she's just too little...thanks, Charly.

Offline Texomamama

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 15
Re: 16mo not gaining weight....what foods are good to put on weight?
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2012, 16:35:06 pm »
Well, I am personally of the belief that there is no way to *force* weight gain or eating on a LO, and if they are genetically programmed to be petite, their body is going to try and maintain that.  I say this as the Mom of a 4.5 yo who peaked at the 15th percentile for weight.  DD2 is now 19 mo and currently in the 25th percentile (was at the 50th from birth to 12 months).  My kids interest in eating, and food in general, has reflected this difference in their body types their entire lives thus far.

However, there are high fat foods and tricks you can use.  Feeding foods high in good fats, like avacados, nuts, preparing food in olive oils etc.  You can also supplement their diet with Pediasure and other dietary supplements, but honestly, unless your LO has nutrition issues, this is unnecessary and really plays on fears parents like you have that your LO is not getting enough through diet.

HTH.  Perhaps others have additional suggestions.  This topic comes up periodically. 

Offline *Kara*

• Showing Appreciation 184
  • So little!
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2012, 03:45:18 am »
Hey Charly,

I have a itty bitty girl too and just went through the same concerns with her... I noticed a difference when I started oven roasting some of her veggies in olive oil.. adding dips to some of her foods (like steamed veggies with cheese sauce etc), lots of use of avocados - mashed is a great filling for a sandwich and very teething friendly as well!

Look for higher fat yogurts... greek yogurt, ones made with whole milk as opposed to skimmed...  I use cream instead of milk for her scrambled eggs... and I sneak in some cheese with her snacks ;)

Hope this helps :)

Offline Charlygirl

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2012, 09:10:08 am »
Thanks guys, yeah I'm pretty sure genetically and biologically she is going to be petite. I do still worry a lot though..She's likes avocados and hummus so that's good...she doesn't mind cheese in things but won't eat it by the piece. The milk problem concerns me but I think I just hv to realize she may never drink milk and hv to get it in foods instead. Thanks for good ideas Kara xx how old is your LO, DD is 16months and about 9kilos.

Offline Texomamama

• Showing Appreciation 15
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2012, 12:55:17 pm »
Well, I came across a sticker from when DD1 was 15 mo, and it said she was 18.3 lbs (8.3 kg).  I could not find the one from the 18 mo visit, but at 2 years, she was only 21.5 lbs.  So, you can see where she was tiny, just like yours.  Also, keep in mind that weight gain really slows between 12-24 months. 

Offline *Kara*

• Showing Appreciation 184
  • So little!
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2012, 21:18:51 pm »
Thanks for good ideas Kara xx how old is your LO, DD is 16months and about 9kilos.

She is just 18 months now and weighs 21lbs 1oz (~9.5 kgs) as of Monday morning at her checkup.  She is just shy of 31 inches tall (~78cms) :)

And, she doesn't like to drink milk from a sippy either... still has 2 bottles a day for now ;)