Author Topic: the 5pm witching hour... at 9 months old  (Read 8078 times)

Offline Avery3

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 8
« on: May 02, 2012, 04:34:14 am »
yep we still have it at 5pm he just is miserable. cries at everything, regardless of how perfect he has slept or not. my neighbour says she knows when its roughly 5pm because she can hear DS2 crying. Its sooooo stressful. ive tried distracting him with toys, putting him in his highchair and giving him food but as soon as its eaten he starts crying again. Ive given him a complete meal then as well and still the grizzling, demanding crying begins. Ive tried bath earlier, bath later, no bath...

what else can I do? any ideas to keep this boy happy at this time of day. Its not a new thing, its always been like this but it makes doing dinner (preparing or eating it) very stressful
Why do birds sing in the morning? It's the triumphant shout: "We got through another night!"

DS1 -January 2009, DS2 -July 2011

Offline *Becky*

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 255
Re: the 5pm witching hour... at 9 months old
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2012, 13:45:28 pm »
we get this after the bath....it is not related to OT because it happens even on good nap days. I know what you mean about it being stressful. It almost seems with M that she knows she is about to get her bottle and go to bed and she just starts to lose it! She was better last night when I did after bath routne and not DH so I wonder if it is part SA.

Is he going through any SA? Does he just want to sit with you?

Henry James and Martha Rose - my spirited pair!

Offline Avery3

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 8
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2012, 20:01:01 pm »
not sure, but even if it is SA theres nothing I can do about it. its just me and the kids and I have to make dinner and get them both organised etc
Why do birds sing in the morning? It's the triumphant shout: "We got through another night!"

Offline Miamamma

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2012, 20:21:44 pm »
I have similar problems with my LO, especially after her bath...and likewise, it doesn't matter how great her daytime sleep has been. It helps if We can get out of the house for a bit, even if it's to pop to the shop for something. I wish I had more tricks up my sleeve to share with you but I usually end up thrusting her onto DH as he walks through the door (poor guy!)

Offline Avery3

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 8
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2012, 20:29:39 pm »
hahaha, I find bathtime the easiest. He loves being in the bath or the shower so I try to make that last as long as possible lol Ive tried no bath or shower and it makes no difference either.

Offline becj86

• Showing Appreciation 346
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2012, 01:29:55 am »
Can you put his routine up> EASY and Bath/activity at the end of the day as well as when people arrive home/leave, etc.?

We had issues but managed to sort them with a few tweaks to our afternoon and who was doing what when...

Offline Avery3

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 8
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2012, 06:40:51 am »
well most nights its dinner at around 4-4.30pmish, depending on how his day went and how early bedtime will be

Bath or shower at 5/5.15pm with brother, he really enjoys this. out and fully dressed by 5.30/5.45pm and either quiet time just cruising through the house or bottle and bed if he needs an early night.

His EASY at the moment is

awake 3.5 hours
nap 1.5-2 hours
awake 3.25/3.5 (trying to get this right at the moment)
nap 30-45mins
awake 3 hours max after a 30min nap, will try to push to 3 hours 15 if 45min nap but some nights hes so unbearable that he even goes to bed 2.5 hours later instead

Offline becj86

« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2012, 07:33:29 am »
some nights hes so unbearable that he even goes to bed 2.5 hours later instead
This 2.5hr A time to BT after a CN should be about right.

Anyhow, I'm not sure I quite get it - you say he starts crying at 5pm but that's the time you start the bath which you say he loves?

Is it possible he just wants attention? Maybe you prepare dinner while he's having his nap and roast/slow cook it so you can play with him?

Offline Avery3

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 8
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2012, 07:41:48 am »
it is possible he just wants attention. Ive done slow cooker dinners and that works fine.

yeah the 5.15pm bath time is a rough time, it can be as late at 5.45 depending on that last nap and he starts the crying at 5 stops for the bath and continues once hes out of it again. we dont bath every night though, every second day usually so those other days hes crying from 5pm onwards.

The other day he didnt cry at all in the evening, my dad came out of his room and said "I thought he was asleep cos i didnt hear the 5pm crying" BTW its not exactly 5pm he starts, it can start around 4.45pm which is why i have an earlier bath on some days too. basically the only time hes not crying is when hes having his bath or eating and even the eating is short lived.

Offline becj86

« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2012, 08:12:58 am »
It seems like it probably is attention. Is he getting much social interaction during the day? DS is an extrovert and needs social interaction to build his energy. I'm an introvert and just do not have enough energy to give, so we go out. Maybe your little fellow needs a trip to the park to play with some other kids or something each day...

He's happy when he's busy in the evenings...

Maybe your dad could play with him while you make dinner ;)

Offline Avery3

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 8
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2012, 08:47:03 am »
my dad is at work till after dinner so that cant happen but yes Ds2 is an extrovert and is clearly happier when new people are around. he gets bored with just me and DS1 by the end of the day. sometimes I can pass him off to my dad when he gets home but not every day because he needs time to wind down after work (hey I dont get time to wind down after work!! lol)

Im not sure what else one person can do when they are already doing 20 things at once anyway

Offline becj86

« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2012, 08:53:12 am »
Ok, so would going out during the day help give him more energy so he can be a bit more independent in the evenings? It has made a huge difference for my DS.

Offline Avery3

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 8
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2012, 09:00:40 am »
nope, he has daycare twice a week from 8.30 till 2.30 where he just loves it there so you would think that would be plenty right? no siree. theres only really two days we are home all day long and its just hte same.

what I really need is a different person every day to come in and play with him at 5pm LOL he can play by himself for up to half an hour during the day no problems but its just the evenings

Offline becj86

« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2012, 10:04:27 am »
Aye! Ok, I shall put my thinking cap back on :)

Offline becj86

« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2012, 05:37:15 am »
Has he always been like this or is it possible its related to OT/teething issues?

Offline Avery3

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 8
« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2012, 06:05:11 am »
pretty much always but of course worse during those times.

tonight we didnt have this at all though and hes mega teething two top teeth. I didnt really do anything too different

Offline becj86

« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2012, 06:43:43 am »
Seems like a really peculiar question, I'm sure - what's the weather like? Any electrical storms that make it better or worse? DS really is sensitive to the atmosphere - humidity, static, etc. if that makes sense... He's heaps better now wet season is gone and the air is drier.